Full Data Kill Switch - Is There One?

jlaidlaw

Reaction score
Now before doing all this, the Android 2.2 OS for sure has a Kill Data switch like the Iphone, Droid Eris, and the Incredible right?

I don't know if its built into the source that most custom roms are using right now, because I reverted back to 2.1 today. If nobody answers your question in this thread I would start one in the Droid Hacking forum and there will be plenty of people to help you with it, including rooting and updating to 2.2.

OP
M

M3-ADDICT

Reaction score
There is only one feature I want, killing the data leak. Otherwise, I'm ok with the 2.1 for now. I'll give it day as you suggested, and see what other's have to say. Why did you go back to 2.1? You seem to know this stuff really well?

jlaidlaw

Reaction score
How about this one? I'm looking to take the most conservative route possible. My phone is as OEM as it gets. Let me know if I could follow through with this? Android 2.2 FROYO DIY download | In A Nutshell

That's for a different phone, you cannot take 2.2 from the nexus one because the code is completely different. This is why there are custom roms using code that was leaked and not officially from Google. Since you are new to the world of rooting I would follow the step by step video I gave to you. Also, I should've told you this before.

Rooting VOIDS your warranty and could potentially brick your device so if you don't follow the steps correctly you could make your phone useless. If you are not confident you can root your phone then I wouldn't continue with it. If you brick your phone Verizon will not replace it. SO, Don't blame me if you brick your phone.

His first phone is a Motorola Droid? I don't know if he went with the ROM Version or just straight forward as he wrote it.

froyo-os-full-2010-05-2002-52-49-rm-eng.jpg

He's just showing the performance of each phone. He's using an application called Linpack to benchmark each phone and then showing the difference in mflops of each phone. I can tell you right now that the motorola droid on there is not on android 2.2 or it wouldn't have such a low benchmark.

jlaidlaw

Reaction score
There is only one feature I want, killing the data leak. Otherwise, I'm ok with the 2.1 for now. I'll give it day as you suggested, and see what other's have to say. Why did you go back to 2.1? You seem to know this stuff really well?

I'll make a thread and ask around to see if thats built into the source we are all using to get android 2.2 on our motorola droids. I'll post what I find. The android 2.2 source out right now isn't the one built from the Google source so it is still experimental. This means that there bugs could arise and not everything is "perfect". If you are really serious about rooting I would definately spend some time reading up around the forums and other forums so you can learn a little bit faster. It will be hard for you to diagnose whats wrong with your phone when running an experimental source when you have no education on rooting.

Last edited:
OP
M

M3-ADDICT

Reaction score

I'll make a thread and ask around to see if thats built into the source we are all using to get android 2.2 on our motorola droids. I'll post what I find.

Post the link to your thread here, so if others in future have the same issue or are using Page Plus Cellular, can see the solutions. Also I can follow through with that thread and see what everyone says. Go make it ;)

jlaidlaw

Reaction score

I'll make a thread and ask around to see if thats built into the source we are all using to get android 2.2 on our motorola droids. I'll post what I find.

Post the link to your thread here, so if others in future have the same issue or are using Page Plus Cellular, can see the solutions. Also I can follow through with that thread and see what everyone says. Go make it ;)

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-2-have-full-data-kill-switch.html#post570731

Hopefully someone will answer that soon, usually people are faster on there than this sub-forum.

OP
M

M3-ADDICT

Reaction score
Good work, we'll keep updated and get an answer hopefully.

STIDRIVER

Reaction score
Bump for answers to original question... I would love to be able to turn 3G off when in areas of poor coverage. Running 2.2 Jrummy(Kangerade).. if the option is there, I dont' see it...

ParalyzingKings

Reaction score
Bump for answers to original question... I would love to be able to turn 3G off when in areas of poor coverage. Running 2.2 Jrummy(Kangerade).. if the option is there, I dont' see it...

Menu > Settings > Wireless & networks > Mobile Networks > Data Enable/Disable

Also OP if all you want out of 2.2 is the ability to turn data on/off to stay under 50MB for the month I might suggest you to just root your phone and get a free app in the market called DroidWall, it gives you the ability to set what programs are allowed to access wifi and 3g data

I think you would enjoy 2.2, as I love it and would never go back. But if you dont need it or dont care to have it I think it would be safer to just get root and use DroidWall and skip the flashing ROMs and what not.

This is the guide I used.
Guide to Rooting Android 2.1 on a Motorola Droid | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

As stated it will void your warranty and there is the possibility to mess your phone up but as long as you follow the directions you should be fine

Last edited:
OP
M

M3-ADDICT

Reaction score

Menu > Settings > Wireless & networks > Mobile Networks > Data Enable/Disable

Also OP if all you want out of 2.2 is the ability to turn data on/off to stay under 50MB for the month I might suggest you to just root your phone and get a free app in the market called DroidWall, it gives you the ability to set what programs are allowed to access wifi and 3g data

I think you would enjoy 2.2, as I love it and would never go back. But if you dont need it or dont care to have it I think it would be safer to just get root and use DroidWall and skip the flashing ROMs and what not.

This is the guide I used.
Guide to Rooting Android 2.1 on a Motorola Droid | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

As stated it will void your warranty and there is the possibility to mess your phone up but as long as you follow the directions you should be fine

I got the 2.2 Today - I have Disabled the Network, I replenish my data in a few days, I'll report to say if there is a full kill switch.