FTC-led Mobile Privacy Crackdown Could Spell Big Trouble for Google, Apple & Others

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Feb 27, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

Very soon, the mobile world could be hit with some heavy setbacks thanks to a new mobile privacy crackdown from the U.S. FTC. The U.S. Federal Trade Commission is ramping up to begin investigations, sanctions, fines and more across the board to stamp down on mobile privacy concerns. Their actions will likely impact big names like Google, Apple & Facebook, but will also hit thousands of smaller developers as well. Here's a quote describing the situation,

There are potentially serious ramifications for some of these measures. It's possible these actions could cause small independent developers to shut down. Here's a quote with an example,

Still, the concerns addressed by the FTC are very real, and this could simply be a case of "painful, but necessary." The bottom line is there are a slew of problems cropping up across the mobile landscape ranging from poorly implemented privacy measures, to inferior safeguarding of data, to improper reporting of use of data and more. Sometimes these issues are fairly minor, like a company who doesn't post a privacy notice for their new app. Many of the biggest issues that the FTC wants to address are actually related to protecting the identity of children on the internet though. Here's another quote which explains this further,

Ultimately, this higher level of enforcement and these new rules are simply "growing pains." As the world is shaped by new and more disruptive mobile technology, these are changes that must be addressed in some way. Here's a final quote that really sums up the bottom line,

In the end, it is the job of the FTC to enforce current regulations and form new ones to help protect consumers. It's a fine line they must walk to also protect the small business owners without compromising their growth.

Source: Bloomberg

2. silverfang77

silverfang77 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +69
    I think it's stupid. Any time government seeks to regulate any aspect of the Net, I get nervous. Their methods are always ham handed and cause more problems than they solve. Let the Net and the app devs regulate themselves and let end users take responsibility for their own privacy.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

3. jerkwad

jerkwad Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Exactly! Those darn kids should definitely assume responsibility for their own personal safety. Developers should have no concern for maintaining privacy (geolocation and phone numbers, for example) of children. App devs should also NOT be responsible for ensuring that the data they (secretly, in many cases) collect is kept out of the hands of those that could misuse it. I definitely don't mind if developers are tracking my location. I definitely want that kind of information (essentially) publicly or privately available at ALL times. All are excellent ideas right? As we've seen time and time again, NO regulation is always the best option (sarcasm). Hey, how is that value on your home doing right now? Better than ever right? Cool!

The only valid point you made is that "yes", the gov has definitely shown it's ability to ham-hand things in the past. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to get things right.

4. silverfang77

Ratings:
    +69
    Re: FTC-led Mobile Privacy Crackdown Could Spell Big Trouble for Google

I guess it depends on one's priorities. I value a free and open Internet above all else, including the protection of children.

5. Juicemane

Juicemane Bang Bang
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4
    You serious? PARENTING.

Stop expecting the Government to protect your children and yourself and be a ****ing adult and handle your own affairs. Bunch of cry babies... Boo hoo my kids are not safe on the internet... Well, if you are to lazy to monitor your child's web habits unplug the ****ing cable modem and turn the computer off... Its not rocket science and kids do not need to have smartphones at the age of 8.

/endrant

More Government = less freedom

^ Remember that

6. silverfang77

Ratings:
    +69
    Children are a convenient political football for politicians to use as an excuse to censor, control and restrict, because children have no political voice of their own. They cannot vote and no one really lobbies for children to have full rights.

7. 52brandon

52brandon Active Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I would imagine Google being as powerful as they are, will still be able to access these settings in some way or another. And could sublet access to small developers for a small portion of profits, or possibly even free, to keep everybody happy

8. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,029
    guess the ones that have a problem with ftc are the ones without children.

9. silverfang77

Ratings:
    +69
    Yes. Because we don't see why our freedoms should be limited for the sake of other people's children. You bring them into the world, you need to raise them, not expect us to look after them.

10. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,029
    bet people were saying exact same thing when car manufacturers were debating seat belts in cars.

11. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,530
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2
    Withdrawn..

12. rbw62

rbw62 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    FREEDOM is a big word, and those who paid the ultimate price so all could enjoy it may look at this quite different than you.

I enjoy my freedom also, but not @ the expense of others, whatever age they may be. Children are a special category of people because they have not developed their pool mental capacities. In other words they are not adults, and capable of making decisions like adults do. That is why there are special protection laws governing children.
    This debate over FTC and privacy is serious and reaches to Constitutional admentments as well.
    I do not want certain info out there that could endanger me or my family. This is a big concern to all. Don't take it lightly, Big Brother is watching and listening already, their power needs to be limited.

Sent from Batcave

Search tags for this page

christopher olsen ftc news

privacy