Frustrated

AVNFAM

Reaction score
So.. this morning my husband was having issues with the phone. Quick contacts to be exact. When ever he clicked on a card, for example... "John", "Jim's" contact information would show up instead. Did that to a couple of contacts on his favorites. So, I decide to go to Motorola's website and utilize their chat feature for assistance. I was told to do a phone reset, which I was apprehensive about doing, but did it anyways. Should of gone with my instincts. Obviously I had to redo his gmail account, and all his contacts are gone. AND, all my hard work yesterday trying to add his hotmail account to his phone went to waste, I spent an hour trying to get that going. Now I have to do it all over. NOW, I am on Verizon's website trying to re-sync his contact info and it's taking FOREVER. He has about 170 contacts and it seems like it's been syncing for 10 mins or so. So, I figure if this syncing doesn't work next option will be A) enter all his contacts manually or B) Go back to the Verizon Store and have them do the transfer again. :icon_eek::unsure:

Any suggestions out there? I still don't know if this phone reset even fixed our issue. Anyone else run into that issue?

bigdad63

Reaction score
Sorry about your problem. I have never had a problem with Googles backup of my contacts. It's free and has worked quickly and flawlessly through dozens and dozens of ROM changes.

OP
A

AVNFAM

Reaction score
Sorry about your problem. I have never had a problem with Googles backup of my contacts. It's free and has worked quickly and flawlessly through dozens and dozens of ROM changes.

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually the syncing problem was user error :p I had forgotten that it might help to re-activate the phone. So once I did the *228 thing, the sync worked as it should.

Now, the issue with the quick contacts, well.. that's still an issue. I went to Verizon Store in town and well the crew working today was not very helpful. Grant it, I understand it's a brand new phone and they are not familiar with it yet but still just didn't get a warm fuzzy out of them and their customer service. They were quick to try to offer me a new phone, but I knew it wasn't the phone, everything else worked fine, just quick contacts not cooperating. Finally after them pushing buttons all willy nilly trying to solve the issue, they just said that it's probably a firmware issue and that Verizon was sending out an update in the next 2-3 weeks to fix any bugs out there. (Shrug) So... for the time being. I just told my husband not to use his quick contacts and just use the regular phone book.

Heelfan71

Reaction score
Backup up your contacts with google. Much better. Go to "my accounts" and click on Google, then make sure Contacts has a check mark by it. After it syncs them all, stop using that backup assistant. I think you can turn off the assistant or log out on the phone, not positive. But once you do that, try adding the quick contacts widget again.

OP
A

AVNFAM

Reaction score
Backup up your contacts with google. Much better. Go to "my accounts" and click on Google, then make sure Contacts has a check mark by it. After it syncs them all, stop using that backup assistant. I think you can turn off the assistant or log out on the phone, not positive. But once you do that, try adding the quick contacts widget again.

Hmm I never knew you can do that with Google. Say, once you get another phone, how are you able to sync it with the new phone?

Thanx

Heelfan71

Reaction score

Hmm I never knew you can do that with Google. Say, once you get another phone, how are you able to sync it with the new phone?

Thanx

Well if you get an Android phone it will put them there automatically when you put your gmail info in the new phone. If you were to get a non Android phone, you can always export your contacts from the google contacts web page (google.com/contacts) to a SD card and then import them to the new phone from the SD card.

If you go to google.com/contacts you will be able to view all your contacts there. This way you can make sure they synced. Also, it is much easier to edit, add or delete contacts via a computer than trying to do it on the phone. Anything you change on the google.com/contacts will automatically be updated on your phone. And vice versa.

Not sure if you sync your Calendar to Google or not but that is good too. It's quite nice to have your calendar, contacts etc. available on any computer. Comes in handy sometimes.

X_TAC23

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Thanx

Well if you get an Android phone it will put them there automatically when you put your gmail info in the new phone. If you were to get a non Android phone, you can always export your contacts from the google contacts web page (google.com/contacts) to a SD card and then import them to the new phone from the SD card.

If you go to google.com/contacts you will be able to view all your contacts there. This way you can make sure they synced. Also, it is much easier to edit, add or delete contacts via a computer than trying to do it on the phone. Anything you change on the google.com/contacts will automatically be updated on your phone. And vice versa.

Not sure if you sync your Calendar to Google or not but that is good too. It's quite nice to have your calendar, contacts etc. available on any computer. Comes in handy sometimes.

Nobody shoot me down for this, but I helped a friend set up his iphone. He had an incredible, then when we set it up all he had to do was sync his contact through google. So google can be used for ALMOST any smartphone.

sixgiggles

Reaction score
I had this same problem with the short cuts... I had to actually delete the contact that it kept calling instead of the one I had put for the short cut. once I deleted that contact I could re-enter the contact and it seemed to work with out a problem, just a pain to go in and delete someone to just re-put back the info, but It was the only way I could get the short cut to work. ... Hope this helps. Verizon told me it was because I used Backup assistant, but my husband uses Gmail and he had the same problem.