Frustrated...returning X

Nadious

Reaction score
Ok, I lied. Last night, it was rebooting like crazy. (See this thread.) It must have rebooted like 10 times last night (and I was making it happen, too.) But, the oddest thing is that now, this morning, I can't get it to repeat that behavior to save my life!

OP
Jenlj78

Jenlj78

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for all the replies. I wish I had seen them yesterday before I took my X back. I did get the Incredible and I am not near as happy (although it is running great)! Thanks to my sister I now have a bran new X on the way! Verizon customer service actually admitted that they have to give you a new phone if it is within the 30 days of activation (it is a policy company wide). I would love to know why our main store did not honor that or customer service when they were called yesterday. So, needless to say they are refunding the $35 restocking fee for returning the X and they are waiving the fee for me returning my incredible when my X comes. They also are sending a new X and I can keep the Incredible until the X arrives. I can tell you that if the new one reboots I will call customer service and have them send another one. However, since I have read all these posts I am confident that I will not ever return my X to the store again. dancedroid

W

warp

There's no way I'd return my X. None of the other current phones on Verizon interest me as much, nor do the ones coming out this year. A 4.3" touchscreen phone (without a slider) hits the sweet spot for me.

OP
Jenlj78

Jenlj78

Reaction score
There's no way I'd return my X. None of the other current phones on Verizon interest me as much, nor do the ones coming out this year. A 4.3" touchscreen phone (without a slider) hits the sweet spot for me.

I understand. I was trying to love the Incredible but it just wasn't happening. I felt sick the moment I left the X at the store. I was sad for the next 24 hours. Then when I found out they had to replace my X with a new one, I could have screamed (and almost did start to cry). I LOVED that phone. At least I am happy again :)

washburnmav

Reaction score
My Incredible does that! it is annoying...which is why I ordered the X. Here's hoping this is not a mass issue.

Clearly there is a rogue app causing this, or just a defect across a certain number of Moto phones in general. A luck of the draw so to speak. Switching to the Incredible won't help any more than getting a replacement Droid X - other than the wait of course.

CrashF16

Reaction score
Yes, it is a known problem, although thankfully it's not too common.

I'm sure you all are trying to help when you say "it is definitely an app" or "it's because of the ATK," and obviously this isn't happening on your phones, which is lucky for you. You also have not seen all of the DX threads on this issue. For those of us that received a defective device that reboots constantly, the real fix is to return it for a new one (advice directly from Motorola Support Forum manager). I'm not saying not to troubleshoot it, but please believe that there are defective devices out there.

I tried everything before ordering a replacement (and yes, they sent a brand new one...actually my third brand new one (first had screen issues)). My DX actually rebooted by itself while sitting on the activation screen after a factory reset! Tell me what app caused that. It rebooted in Safe Mode, after factory resets, with no third party apps loaded, while sitting still, while on the phone, in and out of Airplane Mode, on wifi, not on wifi, in my pocket, and during the screen timeouts.

Bottom line - there is a known issue that affects a small percentage. It's not their imagination or caused by an app or ATK or The Weather Channel app. See the Motorola Forum and the 400+ replies and almost 30,000 views on the topic. There are also rumors from Motorola that it will be fixed in 2.2. I ordered a replacement rather than waiting.

There are other known issues not caused by apps or user error such as flickering screens, banded screens, yellow-tinted screens, soft spots in screens, dead pixels, and GPS radio issues.

Go get a replacement if you get a bad phone...you paid for it.

OP
Jenlj78

Jenlj78

Reaction score
Yes, it is a known problem, although thankfully it's not too common.

I'm sure you all are trying to help when you say "it is definitely an app" or "it's because of the ATK," and obviously this isn't happening on your phones, which is lucky for you. You also have not seen all of the DX threads on this issue. For those of us that received a defective device that reboots constantly, the real fix is to return it for a new one (advice directly from Motorola Support Forum manager). I'm not saying not to troubleshoot it, but please believe that there are defective devices out there.

I tried everything before ordering a replacement (and yes, they sent a brand new one...actually my third brand new one (first had screen issues)). My DX actually rebooted by itself while sitting on the activation screen after a factory reset! Tell me what app caused that. It rebooted in Safe Mode, after factory resets, with no third party apps loaded, while sitting still, while on the phone, in and out of Airplane Mode, on wifi, not on wifi, in my pocket, and during the screen timeouts.

Bottom line - there is a known issue that affects a small percentage. It's not his imagination or caused by an app or ATK or The Weather Channel app. See the Motorola Forum and the 400+ replies and almost 30,000 views on the topic. There are also rumors from Motorola that it will be fixed in 2.2. I ordered a replacement rather than waiting.

There are other known issues not caused by apps or user error such as flickering screens, banded screens, yellow-tinted screens, soft spots in screens, dead pixels, and GPS radio issues.

Go get a replacement if you get a bad phone...you paid for it.

Thanks for the reply! Although I miss my X, the Incredible runs smooth and I have more apps on it than my X ever had a chance to see. I now know it wasn't just me! I can't wait til my new X comes. I miss it so much. I just wish more people would admit that there are bad phones. I like knowing that if a phone is within 30 days of purchase they have to issue a new one, not a like new. I wish I had known that Monday.

illb1u2

Reaction score
where i live i have no choice but to choose the a moto device Signal performace (and moto equipment on the towers) is a huge factor. when i first got my droid x it did reboot about every 3 or 4 days on its own and seemed to do it when the phone got down to less that 100 meg free ie 40-80 now i was using handcent phone would lock up alot so i removed that app then moved too chomp.. now it wont send my text untill i reboot my phone.. crazy how ever i have removed all text and ring tone apps and i have no problems at all now prob about 80% of problems are the apps either conflicting some how with either android or blur but in the stores here we wipe phone before shipping new ones .. to many actually good phones are sent back because of some app gone rogue

droidx2010

Reaction score
I had issues with my DX rebooting every other day. First the lock screen would have a black background instead of my wallpaper, then about an hour to 4 later it would reboot in about 1/2 the normal time it takes from a power off, then was good. Seemed to do it when it would start to get low on free RAM.

Have not had that issue after the 2.2 update. All seems good now.
the 2.2 update isn't out yet for the DX. How/where did you get ur update? it's not rolling out till Sept.

calpilot7

Reaction score
My x did the same thing till it was rebooting every time I made a call, accelerometer went out, couldn't rotate screens. It was a piece of ****. Got a d2 today and so far I love it to death

Got rid of my D1 and bought the DX. Couldn't wait to get the non-slider. The only thing I absolutely HATED on the D1 was the stupid keyboard that I never used. The slider is dorky the DX ROCKS. Great laptop replacer.

Sasquatched

Reaction score
I am pretty much 100% problem free with my X (just a funky battery level fluctuation) but in the 6 weeks of owning it I have not had even one random reboot. As well as only twice has an app done a FC (out of the 40+ downloads I have). It runs 98% flawlessly and problem free, even with numerous applications. Sounds like you have a bad app, or just a bad phone alltogether. You say you only have a couple apps, delete them and reload them one by one. If the problem continues, just get a new one from Verizon. If you are within 30 days of your purchase, they replace with brand new devices for warranty issues.
The majority of X owners go without any issues, just because you found a google search that has a couple dozen people with the same issue as yours doesn't mean there isn't tens of thousands of problem free X's in peoples possessions.
Delete-reload or exchange-be happy
Just my .02

Edit: I missed the last 2 pages on this thread and didn't see that you already started the exchange process. Good luck with it, I'm sure the new one will treat you well!

Hawk600

Reaction score
I've got 2 Droid X a month ago, one for me and one for my wife and we zero problems so far. Her phone still stock.
Mine is rooted and running Froyo. The X is one of the best android phones around.
I would get a replacement before trying another phone.