Frustrated...returning X

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by Jenlj78, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Jenlj78

Jenlj78 New Member

So after just under two weeks of waiting for my X and only 5 days of use. I am sending it back (more than likely) and ordering an Incredible. My X has been randomly rebooting when I am not even using it (and I am missings calls and will all at once have a voicemail), I thought it was me but it's not. When the problem was Googled it appears this is not an unknown problem (the rebooting) and only gets worse. It has no real solutions yet. I just don't think after my horrid experience with my storm that I am willing to hold onto a phone that has been turning off since two hours after it was activated. I have yet to even load apps! I talked to Verizon on Friday and they said to do a factory reset and see if that fixes it. She also said that her Droid 2 does the same thing. She will factory reset, reload everything and will be fine for a couple days. Then it starts all over again. What fun is that?
    Three family members have the Incredible and they all work flawlessly!
    I am sad and frustrated all at once. I love my phone!
  2. bgillyjcu

bgillyjcu New Member

After only 5 days I don't think you had enough time to play and tinker with it. Maybe it is something you downloaded on it that doesn't agree with it. That being said...I pray mine doesn't do anything like this!
  3. specmac

specmac Premium Member Premium Member

I Have had my Droid X for 3 weeks and have had zero issues. From following the forums here, this is not a issue with all DX's. As someone suggested, either a bad application, or faulty hardware.
  4. Jenlj78

Jenlj78 New Member

That was my hope at first. The only things loaded on it are facebook and email. I actually was hoping there was some kind of reboot option that was turned on but there is not. I am so bummed and I hope yours doesn't do it. I found a droid x forum that had 7 pages of people with the same problem. Some had things loaded others didn't. Some had task killer and others didn't. I just don't want to spend $200 and then have to keep getting referb phones either. I am going to head to Verizon again and see what they say. If they would send a new phone I would keep it and see how the new one does.
  5. jimbo1mcm

jimbo1mcm New Member

Do a Factory Reset

Do a Reset and carefully load apps, waiting in between to see what is causing the problem. Make sure the battery is seated properly. Good luck. I have had 0 issues with mine.
  6. unknowndroid

unknowndroid New Member

My first X started rebooting AND locking up after a few weeks. Every time it would reboot, I would have to do a battery pull for it to load again. I did a factory reset and it continued this with no additional apps loaded. Took it into the VZW store and it did it while I was talking to them. They shipped me another one. It looked like a refurb (no battery, SD card and back cover) but it was clearly new. No way they had time to clear refurns when they couldn't even keep up with demand for new phones.

The next one would not allow me to set up my google account. I got the error that others have reported about Unable to Connect, etc. Took it to the store and they ordered me a third one. When I got back to my office, I decided to try a factory reset for the heck of it (they never thought to try it in the store) and was able to set everything up with no problems. I have had ZERO reboots on this device since I got it, on 8/2.

If you can't narrow down a specific app, try a Factory Reset. If it is still rebooting at that point, return for exchange. It is NOT a natural thing, and should not be something you have to live with.
  7. igknight

igknight New Member

I had issues with my DX rebooting every other day. First the lock screen would have a black background instead of my wallpaper, then about an hour to 4 later it would reboot in about 1/2 the normal time it takes from a power off, then was good. Seemed to do it when it would start to get low on free RAM.

Have not had that issue after the 2.2 update. All seems good now.
  8. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

More then likely you are running either a task killer or antivirus protection. If not that, then some other app is causing the issue. Random restarts isn't a common problem with the X.

I hear your frustration, I wish you luck with your Incredible. Just be careful on what you download on it so you don't have the same issues again.
  9. garath

garath New Member

Sounds like a bad DroidX. If a factory reset didn't help I would exchange it for sure.
  10. phatkat66

phatkat66 New Member

I would suggest replacing the X with an X for at least another 2 weeks. Like hookbill said you probably downloaded something that is causing it. I've had the X since release and I think its only restarted twice since I've had it and one of the times is because I was running older versions of app I transfered over through titanium and the sd card and it wasn't compatible with the X yet.

I love my X I couldn't think of ever going back to a smaller screen again. I even still play around with my droid1 (which i've had since release also and had 0 issues even after all the hacking slashing smacking dropping,gripping rebooting abuse i've put it through lol) I just can't deal with a smaller screen anymore, the keyboard feels so tiny. I hope you figure out whats going on with your X ^_^ good luck
  11. Section Twelve

Section Twelve New Member

I love it when people complain about the phone, find some mysterious forum with only 7 pages of people with similar problems and claim that the ONLY things they ever use are facebook and email.

Seriously? Of all the things the phone can do, you ONLY use facebook and email?

Sorry, I am not trying to be mean... but MOST people with the reboot problems ARE using task killers (like ATK, which I hate) and cause themselves a lot of grief and then blame the phone for it.

Return it. Get your incredible. Install the same apps and have the same problems. Enjoy.

Again, not trying to sound mean. But the OP is slightly vague and is making it look like random reboots are extremely common.
  12. Guyute

Guyute New Member

It certainly is not a common issue. I've had my x since the day after it's release and it works perfectly. I would sugest returning it for a new one sounds like you got a lemon.
  13. NpgGirl

NpgGirl New Member

My Incredible does that! it is annoying...which is why I ordered the X. Here's hoping this is not a mass issue.
  14. Nadious

Nadious New Member

Same here. I had noticed a lot of rebooting going on just a few days before I put the 2.2 update on the phone. I can't say it was the phone, though. It could have been because I kept my phone in my pocket a lot and sometimes I wondered if I wasn't hitting the button up top and not knowing it. Still, other times it DID reboot when it was just laying on the table.

But, since the update... haven't had that happen once.
  15. cpinto

cpinto Member

Same here ... no problems at all. Came from a Droid 1. Love the X in every way.
  16. luv2increase

luv2increase New Member

The random reboots is definitely a problem with the Droid X. I had this happen a couple times at the worst moments when talking to doctor clients of mine.

I have GREAT NEWS THOUGH! It has not happened once thus far since putting 2.2 on my phone the first day it came out. I think that it boils down to something in 2.1 causing issues with certain apps. I know it would happen more often with Droid Wall running. When not running, it didn't happen nearly as often but still did.

I don't run a task killer 24/7 so that wasn't it.

I think something in 2.2 fixed something, and that is all I care about. I was seriously at a point of returning this phone because of the reboots during calls. It is just unacceptable with my line of work. As I said though, it is no longer an issue!!!

@ OP,

I think you should definitely either wait for the 2.2 OTA update or update to 2.2 via the leaked version. I just about 100% guarantee that will solve your problems!
  17. aminaked

aminaked New Member

I have not seen this problem on my Droid X running 2.1

Instead of doing a factory reset, try booting into safe mode. This will temporarily disable all of the apps you've installed. If the problem goes away, you know that one of your apps is the culprit. Uninstall all the apps and systematically reinstall them until you find the culprit.

If it still has the problem, then a factory reset should be tried. After the reset, don't install any apps. Do you still have the problem? If yes, return the phone. If not, install one app at a time and test the phone methodically until you find the problem.
  18. scottrwood

scottrwood New Member

I would agree with other's reco that you try to trade for another DX to see if you just have a faulty unit. If still having problems, I have to tell you that I absolutely love my D2!

dancedroid
  19. Mule65

Mule65 Member

Never had a reboot with my X but I'm not on Facebook.
  20. jetdoc

jetdoc New Member

My X has rebooted a total of Zero times, I had the DIC and it started to reboot almost daily, (not sure if they've fixed the prob or not, but it was common)......In face I've had no probs at all with my X, I love it.

You may have a funky phone, I'd return it for a new one.
Search tags for this page

droid x soft spot

soft spot on screen of droid x