frozen boot mode??!??

romonster88

Reaction score
I'm trying to do a hard reset and I do the volume plus power move, I get to the screen where I want to select recovery and I cannot use the volume down button to select it. It doesnt move at all I can't even select normal power on! Any suggestions?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I'm trying to do a hard reset and I do the volume plus power move, I get to the screen where I want to select recovery and I cannot use the volume down button to select it. It doesnt move at all I can't even select normal power on! Any suggestions?

so you're saying that when you go in to the boot mode selection menu, you're unable to press the down volume control to move to the proper selection? Have you tried the up volume control to see if it will select anything?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk with speech to text translation. Please excuse any minor grammatical/punctuation/spelling errors.

OP
R

romonster88

Reaction score
so you're saying that when you go in to the boot mode selection menu, you're unable to press the down volume control to move to the proper selection? Have you tried the up volume control to see if it will select anything?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk with speech to text translation. Please excuse any minor grammatical/punctuation/spelling errors.

Yes I cannot make selections, it does not move. The phone just restarts after about 30 seconds. It does not select the first highlighted option with volume up. I'll stop pressing volume buttons and it restarts on its own

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yes I cannot make selections, it does not move. The phone just restarts after about 30 seconds. It does not select the first highlighted option with volume up. I'll stop pressing volume buttons and it restarts on its own

The Boot Mode Selection Menu will always time out and restart the phone if no selection is made within about 10 seconds. However it should ALWAYS allow button presses, since that is what the menu is made for. It was intended to give you access to the system for things such as Factory reset when all else fails.

Do you know how much charge the phone has at this point? I am wondering if the battery possibly being low could be at the root of the problem. Other than that, I don't know what else you can do. Without being able to select one of the menu choices you are unable to gain access to the system. There may be a way to accomplish what you want through RSD Lite, but I think you still need to be able to get to a menu selection to use it. I'll do some more research and let you know.

Unfortunately there is no way to get to AP Fastboot in order to flash the Fastboot files unless you can use the Volume Down to scroll to, and Volume Up to select AP Fastboot from the Boot Mode Selection menu. Does the phone boot at all?

If so, you can select Factory restore from the Settings menu. If your phone boots, press the Menu button (bottom left hard button), then select Settings, then select Privacy, and finally select Factory data reset. It will bring you to a menu which verifies this is what you want to do. Just follow the prompts.

REMEMBER, the Factory data restore will WIPE your phone of ALL user-installed apps, personal data, settings, accounts, etc. In other words, it will be back to completely stock and will need to be reactivated as it did when it first came out of the box.

Good luck! :biggrin:

Last edited:
OP
R

romonster88

Reaction score
The Boot Mode Selection Menu will always time out and restart the phone if no selection is made within about 10 seconds. However it should ALWAYS allow button presses, since that is what the menu is made for. It was intended to give you access to the system for things such as Factory reset when all else fails.

Do you know how much charge the phone has at this point? I am wondering if the battery possibly being low could be at the root of the problem. Other than that, I don't know what else you can do. Without being able to select one of the menu choices you are unable to gain access to the system. There may be a way to accomplish what you want through RSD Lite, but I think you still need to be able to get to a menu selection to use it. I'll do some more research and let you know.

Thank you very much! I will let it charge although I am fairly certain it is fully charged. I too, am dumbfounded as to why I cannot make selectiona... As I am fairly educated on android platforms and have done plenty of boot manager tasks on a number of other phones.. any help is very appreciated

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Thank you very much! I will let it charge although I am fairly certain it is fully charged. I too, am dumbfounded as to why I cannot make selectiona... As I am fairly educated on android platforms and have done plenty of boot manager tasks on a number of other phones.. any help is very appreciated

Please re-read my post above. I edited it with some additional info.

krwlson85

Reaction score
I am having this same exact issue with my Droid 4 (XT894). I can get to the Boot Mode Selection menu, but the Volume buttons do nothing. After my phone restarts itself, it tries to turn on, but it stalls on one of the initial Droid screens (the "Loading Screen" with the red hexagon and spinning circle in the center).

yamaluv

Reaction score
Razr maxx froze

Did you find out what was causing your droid to freeze? mine does same thing.