FroYo & SD card corruption?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by RMO, Jun 22, 2010.

1. RMO

RMO New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey gang, long time reader, first time poster. I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong discussion, or if I'm not searching the right terms, but i have been trying all morning. Please be nice.

Just started running the FRF57 [w/ the P3 SV 125-1000 kernel] build last week. Everything has been great, a few bugs here & there, but nothing I wasn't expecting.

Around march when I was still running 2.1 I had one instance of SD card corruption, but it was later linked to an app (ringdroid). Had to reformat, but wasn't a big deal as I had just synced everything to my laptop.

Just this morning, out of the blue (while the phone was on, not after a reboot) I got a damaged sd card notification. I went to mount the phone to see what I could salvage (even when the SD card was corrupted before, I could still get it to mount) but now after the new android logo mount screen comes up, the progress wheel just spins away and the phone won't mount.

I guess I'm wondering if this is an SD card problem, or an experimental build problem. I can't really roll back at the moment as I have no way to access the SD card.

There are a few field recordings I made on the phone that I would really really be sad about losing. I don't have a micro sd card reader, but was wondering if anyone had any other solutions to this problem besides a trip to Radioshart.

Things i've tried:

1. turning on/off USB debugging mode
    2. attempting to mount with mac OS X (in disk utility as well)
    3. Attempting to mount with Windows 7 ultimate (32 bit)
    4. checking disk mgmt services in windows, drive letter assigned but no media found (drive F:) and no drive letter conflicts.
    5. Android device does appear in devmgmt but no mass storage device.

Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on this problem.

2. mgrover1

mgrover1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i had the same issue and i couldnt even format mine

3. RMO

RMO New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    to radioshack I go.

4. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +93
    Salvage what you can via card reader and P.C. erase the sdcard and then let your Droid reformat it

Sent from my Droid thru Time and Space

5. jjimenez09

jjimenez09 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    anybody find out a fix for this? i cant do anything with the card. when i take it out the phone and put it into my pc it doesnt even recognize it.

6. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    It's hard to find a fix to something that is happening to just a handful of people.

In the OP's first post he pointed to ringdroid as causing a problem with the SD card. Ringdroid is not only one of my favorite apps, I think it was the first app I downloaded it. I've never read anything about it causing a problem on a SD card.

I suspect that what's happening here is not related to ringdroid or Froyo but perhaps a problem with the card itself. I suppose a corrupt copy of either ringdroid or Froyo could cause such an issue. As I said earlier however I've never seen it and I spend way to much time in this Forum.

I think the OP's planned trip to the Rat Shack is the solution. Get another SD card.

7. Arcadian

Arcadian Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Most of my files were corrupted I salvaged a few sms backups and had too start all over not sure if the card is junk yet

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

8. jjimenez09

jjimenez09 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    how did u get ur card to be read? nothing will read mine

9. hebertm1

hebertm1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If the MicroSD card is bad, you may be able to return it and get a new one. These cards are supposed to have a lifetime warranty.

10. Arcadian

Arcadian Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Mine only corrupted files I was able to pull some off I have formatted it and so far so good but I am not sure what I'm going to do next

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk