Froyo ROM - "Full Exchange Support"

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by cavillis, Jul 15, 2010.

1. cavillis

cavillis New Member

I've built a patch that will allow your droid to sync with all exchange servers. I've disabled the check for unsupported security protocols. Full list of faked protocols:

• Device Encryption
    • Password Recovery
    • Password Expiration
    • Password History
    • Max Attachment Size
    • Attachments Enabled (didn't know this was unsupported, it wasnt immediately obvious in the code but fixed now :) )

I want to make this clear: THIS WILL NOT ENCRYPT DATA ON YOUR DEVICE. It simply pretends to have the above protocols implemented.

These are the only protocols that aren't implemented in froyo, so this should be able to sync with ANY exchange server. [​IMG]

EDIT: 7-19-2010
    This is no longer a full ROM. I've created a patch zip that should work on any rooted droid AS FAR AS I CAN SEE. This is a very lightweight patch, and simply changes the exchange portion of the built in "Email" package:

http://onix-android.com/nicklipple/fake-unsupported.zip

Also, I have made another version, same as above, but this will also eliminate all password requirements from your phone when syncing exchange (you can still choose to put a password on if you want, just not required)

http://onix-android.com/nicklipple/f...ted-nopass.zip

Download the .zip to your sdcard. Reboot into recovery, and choose "Install zip from sdcard"
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  2. Italian Angel

Italian Angel New Member

I'd think you'd want to post more details about a ROM mod if it's something you're promoting. This is the way I look at it. You have 12 posts on DF, so for me that doesn't reflect on being reputable enough for me to DL this.

I'm interested in where this came from, though as I have recently gotten the AX from corporate on Friday when they realized securities weren't tight enough on our ES and iPhone users were able to connect. I cancelled my service with my Blackberry the end of last month thinking my Droid was handling biz from now on. I'd do whatever I could to get mail on my phone. I, personally, just don't want to DL and flash something from someone not disclosing enough and possibly taking advantage of the lack of encryption of sensitive corporate data. Seems to me that's putting alot at risk, including my job and paycheck, which I happen to like.

If it's someone else's ROM, I'd update the OP and say that (even if it seems plainly obvious). Just my .02, though.
  3. cavillis

cavillis New Member

I'm not sure what detail you want. This is CM6, unmodified except for ONE file. And of course there's risk. There's risk every time you're running custom software from someone you don't know.

If you wish to make this yourself, all I did was modify the following file(Line #108 has been changed to "canSupport = true;"):
    android.git.kernel.org Git - platform/packages/apps/Email.git/blob - src/com/android/exchange/adapter/ProvisionParser.java

What I don't understand is you ask me to post more detail, but there is no more detail. This is just CM6 modified to sync with more exchange servers. You can remedy your fear but modifying and building it yourself.

The reason I put the notice in bold was so people would see that there is risk running this ROM, and if they are uncomfortable cheating their corporate policy to get email to sync then they shouldn't download it. I personally am not worried because the only missing provision for my place of work was password expiration, relatively minor.
  4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

cavillis I'm sure others will appreciate your contribution. Android is open source so anyone can get to it. Please don't be put off by Italian Angel, I don't think he meant anything other then to say he wanted to be cautious.
  5. droid420

droid420 New Member

really if you need the guy to tell you what is in a CM6 rom maybe you shouldnt DL. he gave the info of what has been changed and the rest is staight CM6 and if you only DL according to how many post a persons got you might want to stick to the big names, if you want I can list them for you. good job to the OP and keep up the good work.
  6. cavillis

cavillis New Member

link broke - i'll have a new one up today
  7. cavillis

cavillis New Member

I've created a patch zip that should work on any rooted droid AS FAR AS I CAN SEE. This is a very lightweight patch, and simply changes the exchange portion of the built in "Email" package:

http://onix-android.com/nicklipple/fake-unsupported.zip

Also, I have made another version, same as above, but this will also eliminate all password requirements from your phone when syncing exchange (you can still choose to put a password on if you want, just not required)

http://onix-android.com/nicklipple/fake-unsupported-nopass.zip

Download the .zip to your sdcard. Reboot into recovery, and choose "Install zip from sdcard"
  8. Italian Angel

Italian Angel New Member

I didn't need himto tell me about CM6 ROMs, I was simply saying that to me a slightly more clear description could be helpful, such as the response I got.

I also didn't mean to imply anything offensive when I stated he doesn't have enough posts for me to DL. I should clarify by saying that my concern was mostly over the ROM thread being started by someone that has only a few posts on here, mostly troubleshooting and Exchange discussion, but nothing I saw regarding developing, testing and writing/modding code. And no one else commented or reviewed the OP, so I didn't have much to go on. I have come back to this thread several times over the past few days to see if there were any responses. I was a little apprehensive due to the recent security issue on another Droid forum I was using, and based on the information available, this thread seemed a little questionable. Hence the reason I questioned. I got answered, and my concerns were laid to rest.

You really can't judge anyone knowledge level based on the number of posts they have, especially since some people are intimidated to post on the forums as newbs due to the negative responses they get insinuating their lack of knowledge...

I appreciate the quick response, and I apologize if I've offended you. The one-liner about the one mod is really the only detail I needed. And I really appreciate you extending the explanation by posting the line and changes made. HUGE help.

FWIW, I was hoping it was clear I was only posting my comment based on the fact that I'm interested in the mod, but a little sketchy about the DL.

I will definitely be checking this out, thanks for the work, and again thanks for the response.
  9. cavillis

cavillis New Member

let me know if it works out for ya!
  10. gmg

gmg New Member

This is supposed to work on Froyo only right? How about 2.1?
  11. cavillis

cavillis New Member

Should work as long as you're rooted. Make a backup and ty it.
  12. gmg

gmg New Member

I tried. It failed to update.
  13. dmacleo

dmacleo Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

so does this BYPASS what your exchange admin has set for security settings\protocols on the exchange server?
    know I only have 10 to 15 or so devices hitting mine but if I ever see a user faking protocols to bypass me they are off the server for good.
  14. cavillis

cavillis New Member

this is why i did draw the line at disabling remote wipe :p

Password i personally feel is unnecessary since I can trigger remote wipes myself via webmail. If someone stole my phone and disconnected activesync to prevent wipes that removes the emails anyway.

Also, if you're exposing inboxes via webmail, what difference does it make that I disable the password? If i use webmail on my phone i'll store the password to auto-complete anyway.

While these are my personal views, if you aren't comfortable with users faking unsupported policies, I would suggest you block Android user-agents from syncing until google implements them in their stock OS. This wouldn't block TouchDown users since it uses a different agent string, plus TouchDown actually implements these policies correctly (including encryption).

edit: I want to add that blocking ALL android user agents would not be a good way to go about it, since some android devices have these policies implemented by the manufacturer (I think some of the HTC phones do this?)
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  15. dmacleo

dmacleo Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

there are many reasons why attachment size is limited (some relating to AD integration) especially on a push exchange activesync setup.
  16. Quie2Droid

Quie2Droid New Member

Days to sync in exchange

Is there anyway to have an option in exchange to sync all instead of just 30 days of information/email? Windows mobile had this option and Android does not.
  17. danwanna

danwanna New Member

Tried this out on Insanely Clean v1.3 and it worked great. Thanks for the update.
  18. cavillis

cavillis New Member

I'll look in to this, this week. It will take a little longer since I'll have to modify some GUI elements to add the option but I'll post an update here.
  19. Quie2Droid

Quie2Droid New Member

I really appreciate it.
  20. raidzero

raidzero n00b. Theme Developer Premium Member Developer

Search tags for this page

android custom roms support encryption

android provisionparser