(Froyo) Pete: Do you have beta testers?

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by zerosouls, Jun 20, 2010.

1. zerosouls

zerosouls Soulless Droid Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    @Pete & All: Consider me new here... Do you have any beta testers? Or are we the beta testers?

2. jlaidlaw

jlaidlaw Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll go ahead and put my name out there for beta testing. If you need anybody to test, I am always able to help. If you are just using the public as the beta testers than I will continue to try out your new releases!

3. bendystrawboy

bendystrawboy Member

Ratings:
    +2
    i think we are all beta testers (thus the name rom experimental....we are the test group)

4. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Senior Member

Ratings:
    +89
    It's the way it should be IMO, it's the largest sample possible. If he fixes even the majority of the issues found based out of 2,000 users you're going to end up with one solid piece of software. If you have 15 people out of that 2,000 explain their experience and then pick a new 15 and have them explain their experience you would probably not be able to duplicate 1/10 issues from one set to the other.

5. peteralfonso

peteralfonso Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    If the ROM title says "Experimental" then you all are my beta testers and I get to throw whatever tweaks and mods into it that I want with your consent. That's why I dont understand why people are getting upset that my Froyo ROM is not as stable as it could be, its because I'm testing things!!

6. skirt

skirt New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Down for the ginnie pig

7. Shmooze

Shmooze Member

Ratings:
    +0
    experimental or not the unofficial release of 2.2 makes us both hip and beta like....right?

8. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't mind being the guinea pig at all. I started beta testing software more than a decade ago. I started on the DEC Alpha testing a piece of software called FX/32! and was part of that Beta and dev team for a LONG time. Hell I still use my trusty Compaq DS10L 466Mhz 21264 running a custom Linux compile for daily use. Ooh and let me assure you at 466Mhz that thing will outperform most first gen P4s running 2+ Ghz. :) I miss the days of playing with new hardware and testing so by Pete offering these ROMs up to us to test and play with brings back a lot of memories.

9. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OH MAN. I used to have a DEC Alpha AXP/150, this was probably back in 1998 or so? I had it dual-booting Redhat Linux 5.2 (long before they restarted their numbering with RHEL) and Windows NT Workstation. I was running FX!32 so I could use ICQ and other non-alpha apps. That little emulator was amazing! I could run emulated x86 code faster than my 486 could run it natively.

10. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it was an amazing little piece of software. What is little known is that it was not an emulator. What it did was read the system calls that were being made for x86 code and the .dlls it used. It would then take that .dll and start to actually recompile an Alpha native version of it so that the next time the software ran it would run against the Alpha native library. After a few runs it would re-read the profile and then reconstruct the Alpha libraries to make them even more efficient. Very unique piece of software. Unfortunately when the Windows 2000 beta came out it was integrated into the OS as opposed to a separate piece of software. This prevented the frequent version updates from coming out so it was more or less tweaks rather than full version revisions like it was when it was on NT4.

11. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not to further derail the thread - (but it was just going to turn into a ton of people saying "I want to be a beta tester!!!!" soon anyway...)

Yeah, I remember reading up about how it works and being impressed by the idea of system call translation instead of full emulation. I think the more important issue was that the alpha hardware itself went away, eliminating the need for the software. I got frustrated by the lack of compatible software even on the linux side and decided that going with the popular architecture was the way to go. It still is - even when you compile everything, you're still stuck with some binary blobs for things like video cards and flash players that just won't work unless you're running a standard architecture.