Froyo or gingerbread

bfederspill

Reaction score
I am running froyo 2.2 and was wondering if I should root now or wait till gingerbread comes out? Can anybody help?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Pmoser

Reaction score
I'd wait for the bread a few more seals

Sent from my rooted Droid Increidble

Snow02

Reaction score
You're not going to be able to root gingerbread, so you might as well go ahead.

Pmoser

Reaction score
No need to root with gingerbread and Motorola unlocked the atrix with gingerbread they could do the same here

Snow02

Reaction score
Not likely. But we'll see.

And what do you mean by there's no need to root gingerbread?

Pmoser

Reaction score
Well unless you tether at least for me Ginger bread only advantage is battery life

Byakushiki

Reaction score
No one's been able to root OTA GB so far.
And we have CM4D2G in the works...

bikedude880

Reaction score
No one's been able to root OTA GB so far.
And we have CM4D2G in the works...
And it's almost ready for a stable alpha after a little collab with the D2 team. Just pounding out the last sensor (compass), fixing a small rotation glitch, adding in camera support, and fixing a battery drain issue. Other than that, everything is golden (as far as I've tested).

Been posting status on rootzwiki forums. I said earlier in the year that I was going to port CM to this sexy device, and here it comes.

Side note: unable to test GSM, though SIM card reports as undetected. Not a showstopper imo as most devices live in a CDMA network.

Sent from my White DROID 2 GLOBAL.

OP
B

bfederspill

Reaction score
Well, still don't know whether to root now or not??? Can I still root once I get gingerbread? Yes, I do wireless tether alot.

snowride20

Reaction score
You can always unroot anytime you want and release date for GB is still uncertain. Go ahead and root, nothing to lose and plenty to gain as long as your capable of reading directions. And as far as I have seen there are a few phones running GB that are rooted so im sure if there's a will, theres a way.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Snow02

Reaction score
Well, still don't know whether to root now or not??? Can I still root once I get gingerbread? Yes, I do wireless tether alot.

No, you will not be able to root if you install it un-rooted. You would have to install a rooted version, which will require you to root to begin with. So you might as well go ahead. Just rooting doesn't actually do anything. It just enables you to do things you can't otherwise.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Side note: unable to test GSM, though SIM card reports as undetected. Not a showstopper imo as most devices live in a CDMA network.
It is a showstopper, at least for me. So I guess we GSM users will have to stick to good old ROMs or stock firmware (as expected).

leobg

Reaction score
Ditto here. GSM is crucial for me too.

I am sure shortly after the OTA release TBH will get us covered with a rooted GB release just as they did with the X.

Asphyx

Reaction score
And it's almost ready for a stable alpha after a little collab with the D2 team. Just pounding out the last sensor (compass), fixing a small rotation glitch, adding in camera support, and fixing a battery drain issue. Other than that, everything is golden (as far as I've tested).

Been posting status on rootzwiki forums. I said earlier in the year that I was going to port CM to this sexy device, and here it comes.

Sent from my White DROID 2 GLOBAL.

It is a showstopper, at least for me. So I guess we GSM users will have to stick to good old ROMs or stock firmware (as expected).

Just guessing here as I don't really know what Biker is doing...
But I would bet that once a GB OTA is released he will have all the files he needs to get everything working 100% that he doesn't have now.

CM7 is GB and having D2G GB drivers should solve most of the issues he is reporting in his Alpha.

I would bet any Radio issues will be solved then.

That is if CM7 itself supports the dual radio (CDMA/GSM) system which I have no clue if it does. It prob does but I can't really say.

Once he gets one version of CM 99.9% working I am sure he can submit to the Cyanogen folks and get official status.