"Froyo" no longer needs task killers.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is actually very good advice. If the factory reset doesn't cure it, something has gone wrong with the programming update and probably not something you can cure yourself (unless rooted). This is what warranties are for. Use them and make sure that your phone is running right. You are paying enough for it, the phone should run exactly as advertised.

I went into the Verizon store and was instructed to do a factory reset which I've done. It hasn't helped. I guess I should go back and see what they say before I try to root.
If your phone is messed up, rooting ain't gonna fix it.

Also, don't mention rooting around big red. They don't like rooting :)

Sent from my Droid

luv2increase

Reaction score
I went into the Verizon store and was instructed to do a factory reset which I've done. It hasn't helped. I guess I should go back and see what they say before I try to root.

Sent from my Droid

I have been to 3 different verizon wireless stores, and i have showed them all my rooted android phones. The negative stigma about rooting your android phone is overblown.

Yes, it is against the terms of service, the chances of you actually getting your contract voided because of it is nill.

Give me an example of somebody who got in trouble from verizon wireless from routing their phone. You probably will not be able to do it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

I have been to 3 different verizon wireless stores, and i have showed them all my rooted android phones. The negative stigma about rooting your android phone is overblown.

Yes, it is against the terms of service, the chances of you actually getting your contract voided because of it is nill.

Give me an example of somebody who got in trouble from verizon wireless from routing their phone. You probably will not be able to do it.

And why tell me it is even necessary? If something is against the terms of service and voids your warranty if you have a problem, why risk it?

luv2increase

Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

And why tell me it is even necessary? If something is against the terms of service and voids your warranty if you have a problem, why risk it?

Tell you what is necessary?

Humpa

Reaction score
Though it is against the TOS and whatever, luv2increase is correct. I have never seen an example in all my years reading the assorted VZW phone forums. There is the rare case of "someone I know" had some issue with a rooted/seem edited/or-otherwise-altered phone, but that's about it.

They aren't going to know, check for, or care if it is rooted. Sure, there is the ocassional jerk of a sales rep/tech/whatever, so don't go saying "here is my broken rooted phone". But many of the VZW people would be interested in seeing your rooted phone - they are just people after all, and obviously have interest in VZW phones. ;)

drtnsnw

Reaction score
I was on with HTC tech support today for a seperate issue. I was complaining about the crappy battery before and after 2.2 and his first question he had was did I have ATK installed :) not saying it is good or bad, just HTC is expecting us to run it

Chris

Humpa

Reaction score
I was on with HTC tech support today for a seperate issue. I was complaining about the crappy battery before and after 2.2 and his first question he had was did I have ATK installed :) not saying it is good or bad, just HTC is expecting us to run it

Chris
A full 1/3 of all Android devices have ATK loaded - not a task killer, but actually ATK in particular. They should be expecting it. ;)

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

Tell you what is necessary?

Tell him why it is even necessary to mention the fact that the phone is rooted at the store.

I don't care that you or others have never seen it happen, I will advise that you don't mention it to the store. Period. It opens the door for them to refuse warranty work, cancel your contract, etc. Just because it hasn't happened to someone you know doesn't mean it can't happen. Telling someone to go flaunt a rooted phone in the store is irresponsible and incorrect advice.

windstrings

Reaction score
More like arrogant and foolish..... pointing out that your phone is rooted with get you nothing, and give you no edge and will only mess it up for everyone else thats rooted.

Get a few guys who do that and Verizon will start teaching their techs how to tell and void service.

Being selfish always messes it up for everyone else... this is no different.

I don't even have my phone rooted but I like to know I can and that I should be able to do what I want with my device.... the problem is.... I don't own the network it interfaces with...... and my warranty is with the assumption I have not tinkered with the nuts and bolts of what makes it tick.....

How are they supposed to warranty "rooted" phones?

They are blocked and protected for reasons... aside from making money, the other is to protect themselves and everyone else who shares the network from unscrupulous users.

Its pretty scary what you can do with a smart phone if you know what your doing!

kaobserver

Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

If you root your phone then send it in for a CLN *certified like new* replacement the warehouse will detect that your phone was rooted and you'll be charged full retail for the phone. I personally don't think anything I do to a 300.00 phone that voids the warranty is worth it.