froyo needs to cool the eff down!

joeybarclay

Reaction score
ive had 2 droids on froyo and they heat up way to much(one was stock.) i just did a nandroid backup and a few minutes later my phone was 130F! i used to watch movies on my phone but now even underclocked to 250mhz my phone gets really hot after 10 minutes of video. i like froyos speed but im sick of not being able to use it to tether and stuff because it gets to hot.
does anyone have this problem as well?

banderbe

Reaction score
"MY phone was 130 F" means nothing. Is it your battery or your CPU? Are you reading the OMAP sensor?

The CPU temp can easily hit 130 F, but won't stay there very long, usually. On the other hand, if I'm navigating and it's a hot day and I'm not running A/C in the car, the CPU can get to 132 and stay there for the entire trip.

I've left the phone in my car on a hot day and seen it get over that while doing nothing!

And how you can blame Froyo (over Eclair or any other rlease) is beyond me.

OP
joeybarclay

joeybarclay

Reaction score
"MY phone was 130 F" means nothing. Is it your battery or your CPU? Are you reading the OMAP sensor?

The CPU temp can easily hit 130 F, but won't stay there very long, usually. On the other hand, if I'm navigating and it's a hot day and I'm not running A/C in the car, the CPU can get to 132 and stay there for the entire trip.

I've left the phone in my car on a hot day and seen it get over that while doing nothing!

And how you can blame Froyo (over Eclair or any other rlease) is beyond me.

its the cpu and 130 isnt good for a phone. also i know its hotter because my phone(2.1) would never hit 125 while underclocked just by watching videos. i would be more okay with it but my phone could randomly die because its a crappy refurbished one

ndhill1976

Reaction score
130 F CPU temp is not going to hurt anything. I can't remember where the line is, but I think it starts to get dangerous around 170 F.

ndhill1976

Reaction score
Try some different kernals if you think what you have is getting too hot.

OP
joeybarclay

joeybarclay

Reaction score
130 F CPU temp is not going to hurt anything. I can't remember where the line is, but I think it starts to get dangerous around 170 F.

ur right the cpu can stand a lot of heat how ever the rest of the phone is not rated for those temps so while ur cpu could be fine at 150F the rest of the phone could be getting damaged. i think i remember reading about this in the thread overclocking 101

OP
joeybarclay

joeybarclay

Reaction score
from the overclocking 101 thread
"Getting your Droid's ambient temperature (the whole droid) above 130F for any length of time should be considered a bad idea. The battery itself is the issue. When a lithium-ion battery reaches around 140F, it can enter the state of "self heating" or more commonly referred to as "thermal runaway". Reach this state enough times or holding it there too long and the battery will become unusable as the individual cells of the battery break down from thermal overload.

The second issue is that the battery is the single largest surface area that can generate heat in the Droid. This heat is radiated in all directions. While the Droids back door is designed as a heat sink, the mother board on the opposite side is not. That heat will soak into the motherboard and it will eventually cause issues. Most notably Force Closes (Applications failure), erratic behaviors and finally failure of the Droid. The OMAP3430 CPU and support chips also generate heat. If both occur, you can actually heat soak the Droid to the point of failure by causing components to fail do to stress. What kind of stress? Physical. Remember grade school science? Heat something it expands and when cooled it contracts. Let's look at where that happens in the Droid."

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
Yet numerous others here in the forums are running overclocked Froyo and we aren't having the same problem. I've been running mine at 1.1 GHz max and never get close to that temp. I would double check your overclock profiles and see if you maybe can cut the speed down sooner? Or, better yet, maybe use a different kernel like ndhill1976 said. It's either your settings or the fact that you have a refurb. Or a faulty battery. I had an extended life battery burn up about 1 month after I got my Droid (still unrooted and stock at the time). And that battery was always hot just like you mentioned.

But don't blame Froyo when you're overclocked on a refurb phone - with a battery that could be going bad.

OP
joeybarclay

joeybarclay

Reaction score
Yet numerous others here in the forums are running overclocked Froyo and we aren't having the same problem. I've been running mine at 1.1 GHz max and never get close to that temp. I would double check your overclock profiles and see if you maybe can cut the speed down sooner? Or, better yet, maybe use a different kernel like ndhill1976 said. It's either your settings or the fact that you have a refurb. Or a faulty battery. I had an extended life battery burn up about 1 month after I got my Droid (still unrooted and stock at the time). And that battery was always hot just like you mentioned.

But don't blame Froyo when you're overclocked on a refurb phone - with a battery that could be going bad.

im not overclocking and running the coolest kernel i can find whats average cpu temp?

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
im not overclocking and running the coolest kernel i can find whats average cpu temp?

Well, you said "underclocking", so I assumed you were talking about when you kick the speed down from higher overclock temps. Maybe you meant unclocked or stock speed?

I don't know about average but my phone temp is sitting at 95 degrees F right now after playing videos on YouTube. The actual CPU temp is 93 degrees F.

Last edited:
OP
joeybarclay

joeybarclay

Reaction score
huh my cpu is at 100F and thats just from occasionally checking email

OP
joeybarclay

joeybarclay

Reaction score
didnt see the first part of ur post im either at stock speed or lower