Froyo Made My Phone Go Bananas

Alex_Be

Reaction score
So, I got my Froyo update this afternoon while driving in my car. After nearly sideswiping a PTCruiser as I pumped my fists in the air, I clicked "Update Now."

This was me --> :icon_ banana:

Well, since my phone completed the update it has basically been bricked. The only app I can get to run without crashing on me is Rdio. The phone just flat out freezes when I try to make a phone call. When I try to text it acts like it wants to go to the screen but instead goes black except for the top tool bar.

I have confirmed that text messages where sent to me during this time period and I have not received any of them.

My Sense UI has crashed several times as well.

I'm not that upset at it because in all reality, I expected there to be issues. I'm also imagining since this update just took place 4 hours ago, there won't be many outlets for me to go to on the web just yet to find out what is wrong.

I am no phone genius so I'm not smart enough to just start hacking away and figure out what's wrong, but I do know enough so that I can sound like I know what I'm talking about in a conversation.

So, I bring this to you, Android Forum's. Can you help me? Please?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Truthfully, every once in a while something can go wrong with an OTA update. Matter of fact I think you have a much greater chance relying on OTA then just doing it yourself off the internet.

Since it's Verizon's update and they screwed it up take it back and have them fix it. There is something else you could do, a factory data reset may help. But I'd take it to a Verizon Store.

OP
A

Alex_Be

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm going to take it to Verizon, but I'm 99.9999999999999% sure they're going to tell me to do the factory reset. Oh well, I'd still take this phone over an Apple product.

C

cdexsw

so let vzw dink with it, restore it, do what ever they want to do to it - even play keep away.

as long as in the end it works or its replaced.

i never download an OTA's until others post about their painful experiences. i'd give it a couple of weeks and then if you decide to do it at least your prepared for the worst outcome.

remember its just an update full of bugs pushed out to customers who got impatient and wanted froyo. thats how i see it :)

patrickgerry

Reaction score
The most important thing is that VZW understands the problem so they can fix it before rolling out to a larger group. Were you low in battery? Were you using the GPS? Was your phone rooted?

Unfortunately VZW is still testing the push hence only a random sampling of users received the OTA. Only once they have identified and fixed all issues will they push to a bigger group.

OP
A

Alex_Be

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses!

I ended up just rebooting it myself, it's working great now. The Verizon store near my house is usually VERY busy, I didn't feel like going there, waiting an hour just to talk to someone, and then have them tell me they have to reboot it.

Just an FYI - My phone wasn't rooted (all though I really considered it), my battery was at about 80%, and I was not using GPS directly but I do keep it on since I use Foursquare, Latitude, etc.