FROYO low on Google search

dgibble

Reaction score
I am an Electrical Engineer who has been active in the personal computer market since the Commodore 64. Many "new" inventions have come and gone and these days I am very skeptical about the real features. I am trying to find out about the new FROYO which has just hit the number 1 position in the PCworld 100. Why am I not surprised that doing a google search for FROYO does not hit on any "google" response.

My iPaq h6315 PDA/phone has features that none of the new phones offer. I require not 64000 apps but only the following:

1. Must sync to Outlook 2003
2. Must run E-Sword. e-Sword - the Sword of the LORD with an electronic edge
3. Must be able to draw with a stylus on the screen to allow sketching and writing hebrew script from right to left.

How does FROYO stack up to this very short requirement list?

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am trying to find out about the new FROYO which has just hit the number 1 position in the PCworld 100. Why am I not surprised that doing a google search for FROYO does not hit on any "google" response.

???????

Froyo is the nickname for Android 2.2 - and at this point, it's far from new - it's been around for a few months at least. If I type "froyo" into Google, the entire first page of results is information about Android 2.2 - and most of the second page of results, as well.

As for a stylus, MOST Android devices use a capacitive multitouch screen, which isn't really all that compatible with styli. There are capacitive styli, but most capacitive screens don't have the precision that is needed for writing. There are a few Android devices with resistive screens (stylus compatible) but they tend to be low-end devices.

Something like this might work for you, though. It's Cortex A8-based; yet has a resistive screen:

http://mp4nation.net/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68&products_id=430

Not sure how good it is, but mp4nation has a forum, so you could probably get some info there.

Last edited:

Droidfish

Reaction score
why am i not surprised that doing a google search for froyo does not hit on any "google" response.

i am curious as to why you are not surprised

my ipaq h6315 pda/phone has features that none of the new phones offer. I require not 64000 apps but only the following:

1. Must sync to outlook 2003

while not entirely as seamless as blackberry, android can sync to outlook

2. Must run e-sword.

not sure on this one but i'll bet that a market search will give you what you want, if not an alternative

3. Must be able to draw with a stylus on the screen to allow sketching and writing hebrew script from right to left.

i don't know of any new android devices that ship with a stylus as they use capacitive touch technology which is far superior to resistive, but you can purchase a capacitive stylus for fairly cheap (a google search turned up several, all around $10)

how does froyo stack up to this very short requirement list?

I'd say that android(also currently known as froyo) offers what you need, if not, you're better off sticking with your ipaq because apple ios and windows mobile probably won't meet your requirements either.

Good luck finding what you seek:)

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
1) I know there is Outlook compatibly, but I don't use so I can't speak to the quality of the support.

2) While e-sword does not appear to be available on the Android platform yet, there are several Bible study apps. A quick search of internet shows a few people (at least) agitating for a port of the software, so it may happen. Given the growing popularity of Android it is probably inevitable.

3) Why use a stylus when you can get a complete language pack and use the keyboard? There are a few apps that let you draw notes, but capacitive screens lack the precision to do this well on a screen as small as a phones. But if you are using the stylus because it is the only way to write Hebrew on your phone you are in luck. There are several Hebrew keyboards and language packs that would allow you to take your notes using the onscreen keyboard.

I won't claim that Android is the best choice for what you want, but it would do the job. You would probably find a few things it does not do that you want, and a dozen things it does that you never knew you wanted.

Last edited:
OP
D

dgibble

Reaction score
This is my updated requirement list which leaves out tablets. I am hoping that technology will actualy move forward and improve on past designs instead of trying to drive the marketplace with mere novelty.

I am an Electrical Engineer who has been active in the personal computer market since the Commodore 64. Many "new" inventions have come and gone and these days I am very skeptical about the real features. I am trying to find out about the new FROYO which has just hit the number 1 position in the PCworld 100. Why am I not surprised that doing a google search for FROYO does not hit on any "google" response.

My iPaq h6315 PDA/phone (2004 vintage) has features that none of the new phones offer. I require not 64000 apps but only the following:

1. Must sync to Outlook 2003
2. Must run E-Sword. e-Sword - the Sword of the LORD with an electronic edge
4. Must be able to place cell calls.
5. Must have ability to assign distinctive rings to individuals on contast list.
6. Must fit in my shirt pocket.

By the way, the iPaq h6315 is running Windows mobile os.

How does FROYO stack up to this very short requirement list?

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
. . .This is my updated requirement list which leaves out tablets. . .

Doesn't change anything. The three additional requirements are easily met. Seriously, they are all cellphones, they all make cell calls. On this point the network is far more important than the phone.

e-sword is still not available

The Hebrew keyboards write right to left, but if you're set on a stylus then no capacitive screen phone is going to make you happy. There are styluses available but the results will be far inferior to a pressure sensitive screen.