Froyo Killed Droid Incredible's Camcorder

DroidZero

Reaction score
Am I missing something here? I updated my Droid to Froyo earlier today and the camcorder doesnt work. I have tried switching from the camera, launching the app, and even switching to video mode while viewing recorded videos, but everytime it gets lauched it closes it self in about a second. And fyi the update went smoothly, and I dont have any apps other than the factory default ones. And yes the camcorder worked perfectly fine pre-Froyo.

mikeyo1990

Reaction score
you can try and go into your settings and then go to manage apps and then go to the tab that says all (indicating all apps that are on the phone). once there wait a second for all the apps to load and then find the app that says camera and press on that. Once there go to clear data and then exit to your home screen and then try it again. This is something that has worked for me when i have had that problem.

OP
D

DroidZero

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, however the problem is still there. Cleared the data but the camcorder still closes itself.

OP
D

DroidZero

Reaction score
Yes i did a reset, a couple of times infact

av3c

Reaction score
broken camcorder

No your not the only one. I have the same problem. My camcorder doesn't work at all but mine doesn't close it just slows down my phone incredibly and kills my full battery in about 15min. If I try to charge it my battery gets super hot because it is killing the batter as fast as its charging it. Can only restart the phone. Killing the app doesn't work. As long as I don't open the camcorder the phone is fine. Also did a factory reset and no fix. Verizon is sending me a new one but its labor day weekend so I guess ill have to wait even longer. as if I didn't wait long enough for this update!

gmauser71

Reaction score
First Major Issue For Me

Unfortunately I just had this same issue. The camcorder was just working the night before & then voila the very next evening it stopped. Mine would come up as if it was going to work & when you hit the button to record everything on the screen disappeared except the picture. I killed the app but it was still in the background doing something, which then affected my gmail sync. Man that puppy ran hot too!! AT the end of it all I had to do a factory wipe unfortunately, which solved the issue. I ended up spending $5 on mybackup Pro before the wipe & did a backup. which restored pretty much everything, but not perfectly though............. All in all I havent been very impressed with Froyo to this point......

stacks04

Reaction score
Mine did this to me saturday. Its a moto droid though. I did a restart and it seemed to clear the problem up for now.

gmauser71

Reaction score
I have an HTC Droid incredible, so I'm thinking its not a Motorola thing. Maybe froyo related? as it never did it on 2.1.

HokieGeek

Reaction score
Has there been anything new about this? Wife and I got some new Incredibles a week ago and they won't record video. The app doesn't crash or anything. I open the camera and switch to video or I just click the camcorder shortcut, click the joystick and it focuses, goes green and clicks - just like the camera does - but the counter stays at 0 and nothing at all happens. Any way I can reinstall the stock app?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It seems to be that the answer to this issue would be to visit your Verizon Store or call customer service. If the update broke your cam corder, then Verizon should fix it, after all it is their update.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Has there been anything new about this? Wife and I got some new Incredibles a week ago and they won't record video. The app doesn't crash or anything. I open the camera and switch to video or I just click the camcorder shortcut, click the joystick and it focuses, goes green and clicks - just like the camera does - but the counter stays at 0 and nothing at all happens. Any way I can reinstall the stock app?

I would recommend that you call Verizon. Yours is a warranty issue. However, I would do a factory hard reset first. This is from a tutorial I read:

Please note that all data will be deleted from the HTC DROID Incredible as a result of this procedure. This process does NOT delete data stored on the microSD card. We recommend backing up all of your personal data before proceeding.

1. Turn the power off. If your HTC DROID Incredible is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it
  2. Hold the Volume Down button
  3. Hold the Power button until the display turns on
  4. You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock
  5. Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
  6. Press and release the Power button to select
  7. Now simply confirm your decision: Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO
If you selected YES, all data including third-party applications will be deleted from the HTC DROID Incredible. Once the wipe is complete, the phone will reboot to its factory fresh state.

HokieGeek

Reaction score
It seems to be that the answer to this issue would be to visit your Verizon Store or call customer service. If the update broke your cam corder, then Verizon should fix it, after all it is their update.
Doesn't Froyo come std with the incredible, or is Verizon updating them after they get them?

I would recommend that you call Verizon. Yours is a warranty issue. However, I would do a factory hard reset first. This is from a tutorial I read:

Please note that all data will be deleted from the HTC DROID Incredible as a result of this procedure. This process does NOT delete data stored on the microSD card. We recommend backing up all of your personal data before proceeding.

1. Turn the power off. If your HTC DROID Incredible is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it
  2. Hold the Volume Down button
  3. Hold the Power button until the display turns on
  4. You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock
  5. Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
  6. Press and release the Power button to select
  7. Now simply confirm your decision: Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO
If you selected YES, all data including third-party applications will be deleted from the HTC DROID Incredible. Once the wipe is complete, the phone will reboot to its factory fresh state.

I was hoping to avoid something like that just because one app isn't working, but the only video recording app I can find that works is Qik. The rest use the stock app so I'm SOL. So what's the best way to backup my phone to SD so that it restores quickly and completely?

Dinc_User

Reaction score
i'm having similar issues, but i have a rooted phone with 2.1, and i've tried several roms with 2.2 not one of them works with the camcorder. in every single instance, including cyanogenmod 6.1.1, Ruby 1.1.1, Virtuous 2.7, etc. etc., any attempt to use the video recording option of the camera results in the app, and the phone, crashing. is anyone running 2.2 with a working video camera? is there some fix for this? right now, i'm just continuing to use 2.1, because the camera was one of the main reasons i got the phone.