Froyo Kernels - 6-16-2010 - ULV/LV/MV

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by ChevyNo1, Jun 16, 2010.

1. BrooklynDROID

BrooklynDROID Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Flashing Clockwork worked like a charm. Thanks!

I switched to Chevy's .08 LV and have it clocked to 600mhz, since that's what the processor is rated for. Although I never had any problems with the 1.0-ULV, I just feel a little more comfortable this way.

2. Boostjunky

Boostjunky Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK, some interesting finds, tonight. First off, I'm running JRummy's FRF83 build (compiled from source) without any themes.

Tonight I downloaded the ChevyNo1 LV 1.25 kernel and had some serious freeze issues, as well as the phone randomly shutting off. I could never get into Quadrant to run a CPU clock speed test. NO GO!!!

So, I went on to install the LV 1.2 Kernel. It booted fine, seemed to run smooth, and no FC's, reboots, or freeze issues.

Quadrant scores for LV 1.2 in Performance mode:
    1) 1433
    2) 1425
    3) 1576
    4) 1582
    5) 1626

AVG = 1528

Overall, I was pretty happy with the way the phone was reacting.

After that, I installed the MV 1.2 Kernel. Booted fine, but seemed kind of laggy. Then I tried testing the CPU speed. Here's what happened:

1st attempt: Phone froze. Required a battery pull.
    2nd attempt: Phone froze again. Another battery pull.
    -While rebooting from the 2nd battery pull, the phone got stuck at the droid eye. Did another battery pull, let phone boot, shut phone down normally, then rebooted.
    3rd attempt: Finally had a successful Quadrant test.

Quadrant results for MV 1.2 in Performance Mode:
    1) 1361
    2) 1599
    3) 1588
    4) Ooops! Another freeze issue...battery pull, again.
    4) 1406
    5) Yep...another freeze. Rebooted.
    5) 1274

AVG = 1446

I ended up not being very pleased with this kernel on my phone.

Next I installed the ULV 1.2 Kernel. Booted fine, seemed to run smooth, no FC's, reboots, or freeze issues.

Quadrant scores for ULV 1.2 in Performance mode:
    1) 1363
    2) 1555
    3) 1610
    4) 1569
    5) 1490

AVG = 1517

Again, overall, I was pretty pleased with the ULV performance and response. I am currently sticking with the ULV 1.2 kernel, until I find a reason to re-load the LV 1.2 Kernel.

3. etx_droid

etx_droid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately I had to remove the ULV 1.25 GHz...it was great for a couple of days but then I started having random freezing and reboots. Had 3 this morning in the span of an hour. So I dropped back down to your 1.1 GHz ULV and hopefully everything will be "gravity".

4. Fault

Fault Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Dont you mean a force equal and opposite to the force of gravity?

How lame are we, making physics puns

5. etx_droid

etx_droid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    haha, I've seen lamer...if that's even a word. Well, ULV are out for me, just rebooted on a call...back to LV!

6. eidee

eidee New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, I have to say I'm a noob to all of this droid hacking stuff. I'm having one heck of a time trying to get one of the kernels to work with SS 4.2. I've only attempted to get the ULV 1.2ghz to work, and here's what I've done so far:

1) I've been trying to install it through ROM Manager. First, I download it (easy part). Then, when it prompts me if I want to backup my current ROM and/or wipe data/cache, I select backup, but I don't wipe (I believe it is not needed for installing kernels). The phone does its usual thing for the backup - that is, it reboots into nandroid backup - but it gets stuck in a Motorola logo reboot loop. The only way to get out of it is if I take out the battery, then power on into recovery mode (PWR + X), and restore my most recent nandroid backup (SS 4.2 with the default LV 1.0ghz).

2) Having failed the kernel install with ROM Manager, I've tried installing it through the "install zip on sdcard" option in recovery mode. Unfortunately, I get the same "semi-bricking" result with the Motorola logo reboot loop (the motorola logo comes up for a really long time, screen goes blank, rinse and repeat).

I am now going to try and install it in the (2) way again, but with a zip downloaded from the actual OP. If THAT doesn't work... I guess I'll attempt to install a different kernel (MV 1.2ghz probably). Will come back with updates.

Edit: I just skipped straight to testing the MV 1.2ghz kernel, using the install method through recovery mode. It worked!

Edit2: SS 4.2 with MV 1.2ghz crashed Quadrant (1000 min, 1200 max, ondemand) and forced a reboot.

Edit3: SS 4.2 with ULV 1.2ghz using the zip file in the OP's URL and recovery mode "install zip from sdcard" option causes reboot loop on Motorola logo (as expected, I guess).

Edit4: Went back to MV 1.2ghz. Quadrant didn't crash this time, and gave me a score of 1391 with the following SetCPU settings: (1000 min, 1200 max, ondemand)

#162 eidee, Jun 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  7. bill d.

bill d. Member

Ratings:
    +0
    just installed the ulv 1.0ghz kernel. so far so good. 1391 on quadrant (not that I really care about some number pulled out of thin air, just putting it out there for those that care), BB .3 with nextheme over it. awesome work, Chevy.

8. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +448
    Current Phone Model:
    32GB Moto X Developers Edition
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    Chevy, is the lack of a Conservative power profile under SetCPU 1.6.0 and 2.0b an issue with FRF57 like the CPU temperature monitoring, SetCPU 1.6.0/2.0b, or just something you didn't add to the kernel like has been suggested over in the More Froyo thread? I really miss having it!

Also, I'm loving the ULV 1.0Ghz kernel. I'm getting better battery life and temperatures (battery under temperature monitor and the "finger" test) than I did under "stock" rooted 2.1 at 250-800mhz!

9. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    I will look into adding Conservative back in ... glad the kernel is working good for you!

10. techwizard08

techwizard08 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So, I have a quick question.

I recently installed Bugless Beast v0.3, and thought I'd test out a new kernel, so I downloaded the 1.25ghz ULV.

Now, I've heard of people being stuck in the boot animation loop, however I would get to the home screen, and then a few seconds later, the phone would just restart. Is this still considered "boot loop"?

Also, does this mean my phone cannot handle the ULV, and I should move to a LV instead? Thanks for your time, and Chevy, great work on both your ROM and your kernel

11. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Could likely be the ULV, try the LV next - OR drop voltage to say 1.0 - but I would try LV first

12. techwizard08

techwizard08 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick response. In the meantime I went back to Kangerade 1.0 and am trying the kernel. So far, it seems to be okay. Any thoughts? (I haven't pushed the OC using Set CPU, though I hadn't done it on BB either when I started getting the restarts)

Search tags for this page
chevy ulv kernel download
chevy ulv kernels

chevyno1 ulv kernel download

froyo 2.2 ext2.ko

froyo ext2.ko

index.of/floyo
m.v.kernals