Froyo for Motorola Milestone “Undecided”

harunjo

Reaction score
Froyo for Motorola Milestone “Undecided”. | AndroidGuys
And the hits just keep on hitting for Motorola Android handset owners. In a post on the Motorola Owners forum, Moto's Eurpean Marketing Director James King makes the following statement about the status of the Milestone getting Froyo in the near future:

Next European Milestone and 2.2 (Froyo). I have expressed over the last few days that the decision is pending. The team here has been collating key pieces of information and views from this community in the last month and providing input to relevant teams in Motorola so they are aware. I am pushing for that decision to be made as quickly as possible, and we can then all go from there. Some others ask why the decisions on upgrades take so long, and why does implementation then take much longer still. What I can say and have stated recently is that upgrades are not a walk in the park.

Sure there are short cuts that people can take, but when you have to integrate software to a specific hardware, then test it and integrate with third party applications, let alone any innovation from ourselves, plus then get approvals to make this all official and safe… its is a big undertaking that requires planning and resource and third party coordination to see this all through. As I say, once we have decision, we will inform. JK

So for those of you who bought the device because it was advertised as a "Flash-ready" device, it seems your wait is going to be an extended one. From this statement, it does not even look like Motorola has even begun development on an upgrade package.

This statement highlights the need for Google to develop an outstanding UI with Gingerbread, so that handset makers won't need to put non-vanilla Android on their units. Updates to phones with Motoblur are delayed because of the issues stated above and along with that is the bottom line, upgrades cost the handset maker money, money on which they will not see a return.

For you Milestone owners, you have our sympathy, it seems like Motorola is making some missteps lately with their handsets, promising one thing but delivering another. I hope that you do get your Froyo update in the near future. More info as we get it.

i think this is the last motorola phone for me..

Darkseider

Reaction score
If Motorola screws milestone owners this bad they can guarantee that none of them will ever buy a moto product again. They can also guarantee a lawsuit because the EU frowns on this stuff especially when the US Droid receives 2.2. That will show a precedent in the EU courts eyes.

ashketchum

Reaction score
The Milestone was officially released in my country on 31st March and it's been only about three months since then. If they don't release Android 2.2 for it a lot of people are gonna be pissed.

Darkseider

Reaction score
If the Milestone was advertised and sold as "Flash Ready" and by doing so suggesting that it was to be updated to 2.2 and Moto doesn't deliver they will have a SERIOUS legal issue on their hands. The EU is very aggressive in these matters especially when consumers are getting shafted. If Moto does indeed choose to neglect the Milestone and not update it they will more than likely be forced by European courts to refund the purchase price of the unit to all existing customers and pay a hefty fine due to false or misleading advertising. If the EU can make MS fold and pay fines then Motorola will be small fish and they will get turned into chum by the courts.

JS_Winston

Reaction score
I don't know anything about when or about different countries so don't ask. I do know that there is a build for Froyo on Milestone within Motorola. It is done and it works.

chad_petree

Reaction score
Its possible we wont get gingerbread but not getting froyo is plain stupid, dont worry guys, im sure this isnt true, if the droid is going to have froyo, theresno excuse they're virtually identical, motorola would get even more bad press for this than for locking their bootloader

darklipslide

Reaction score
I've sat on this piece of news for a few days and I still can't understand why they wouldn't get froyo onto it. They might end up placing froyo on it, but much much later in the future.

gallumbits

Reaction score
I will advise all of my friends never to buy a Motorola and I will never buy a Motorola myself ever again. The Milestone was supposed to be a pivotal device, a real "milestone" for the company and their entry in the 21st touchscreen mobile century. However they have screwed us over and over and over again. The locked bootloader, the camera issues with 2.0, the browser lag with 2.0.1 and the false advertising of the phone being "Flash ready". I mean COME ON!!! They could've made it the geek phone of Europe and made ridiculous amounts of money, but they are a bunch of morons who don't have any idea what they are getting into. And now they are releasing device, after device, without bringing anything substantial to the table. Motorola is a follower in the steps of Google, Apple and HTC - they provide no innovation, no original ideas and no real connection with the end user.
They used to have an ad that said "HELLO MOTO", all I can say is - "BYE BYE MOTO"

Szadzik

Reaction score
I will advise all of my friends never to buy a Motorola and I will never buy a Motorola myself ever again. The Milestone was supposed to be a pivotal device, a real "milestone" for the company and their entry in the 21st touchscreen mobile century. However they have screwed us over and over and over again. The locked bootloader, the camera issues with 2.0, the browser lag with 2.0.1 and the false advertising of the phone being "Flash ready". I mean COME ON!!! They could've made it the geek phone of Europe and made ridiculous amounts of money, but they are a bunch of morons who don't have any idea what they are getting into. And now they are releasing device, after device, without bringing anything substantial to the table. Motorola is a follower in the steps of Google, Apple and HTC - they provide no innovation, no original ideas and no real connection with the end user.
They used to have an ad that said "HELLO MOTO", all I can say is - "BYE BYE MOTO"

Good riddance!

JS_Winston

Reaction score
Do you know what I always find funny on the internet, the shear ability of it to allow people to completely freak out and go to the extreme.

Just consider this, the apps processor in the Milestone is exactly the same as in the original Droid. So if the Froyo update is being done for Droid, than the move to Milestone isn't that big. The biggest challenge is the carrier testing (because they test updates as well).

Calm down. Only one phone has officially gotten Froyo so far (ironically it is a phone that is no longer for sale). You aren't missing out yet.
And to emphasize the point, I have a Milestone with Froyo on it today. (don't ask, I can't give you the sbf)

OP
H

harunjo

Reaction score
Do you know what I always find funny on the internet, the shear ability of it to allow people to completely freak out and go to the extreme.

Just consider this, the apps processor in the Milestone is exactly the same as in the original Droid. So if the Froyo update is being done for Droid, than the move to Milestone isn't that big. The biggest challenge is the carrier testing (because they test updates as well).

Calm down. Only one phone has officially gotten Froyo so far (ironically it is a phone that is no longer for sale). You aren't missing out yet.
And to emphasize the point, I have a Milestone with Froyo on it today. (don't ask, I can't give you the sbf)

not that easy...droid bootloader is not locked and milestone bootloader is lock..milestone is depend on motorola to be have froyo...

and i am sure you dont have a froyo on your milestone you have dexter motofrenzy rom (the froyo wannabe rom)
[ROM] MotoFrenzy (Froyo 2.2 for milestone) - xda-developers

dexter motofrezy rom is quite good..but thats not a froyo..its based on 2.1 kernel..

JS_Winston

Reaction score
not that easy...droid bootloader is not locked and milestone bootloader is lock..milestone is depend on motorola to be have froyo...

and i am sure you dont have a froyo on your milestone you have dexter motofrenzy rom (the froyo wannabe rom)

dexter motofrezy rom is quite good..but thats not a froyo..its based on 2.1 kernel..

It is not easy for hackers to load Froyo, but for the software guys in Motorola that locked Bootloader is not even an inconvenience (since they have the private key).

And yeah, I have Froyo. I had one of the software guys flash it for me.

Kam5lc

Reaction score
If you you do have froyo I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to prove via video.

bobbiedaboo

Reaction score

It is not easy for hackers to load Froyo, but for the software guys in Motorola that locked Bootloader is not even an inconvenience (since they have the private key).

haha yeh how bout u lick my **************

OP
H

harunjo

Reaction score

yeah..hahaha give your prove here...screen shot capture is not difficult using dropcap...prove here..