Froyo Camera/3D Gallery?

uconnkid3219

Reaction score
Hey guys... so I updated to the 2.2 OS yesterday and have been working to get as much out of the OS as I possibly can. In reading around on the internet, I've seen several websites/threads mention the new camera that supposedly comes with Froyo... as well as the new 3D Gallery for Froyo.

Well, the camera I have on my X right now (with Froyo obviously) is not the same camera that I have seen other people talking about and fooling around with. I was just reading a website earlier today that explained how the new Froyo camera can be rotated 360 degrees and the icons rotate around with it. There are several other new features that were supposed to come with the new camera as well, but I don't remember them off the top of my head. Bottom line is that I don't have the new Froyo camera.

In addition, I don't have the 3D gallery that everyone has been talking about apparently. I went into the Market and downloaded an app called 3D Gallery... but it is NOT the same 3D Gallery that others on here (and on other website articles) have on their Droid X w/ Froyo. For example, the new 3D Gallery has a new feature called "pinch peek" which the 3D Gallery I downloaded does not have.

Anyways... please tell me someone can help me out and explain where the heck I can get the new camera and new 3D Gallery?! I saw a thread on here (think it was the regular Droid General Discussion section though) earlier today that had a link to download the new 3D Gallery... but when I accessed the thread on my phone and tried downloading the file... it wouldn't let me. I don't know if that is because the file was a .zip or what, but I couldn't download it.

Help would be so greatly appreciated guys! This place is awesome!

snap

Reaction score
do you have the on screen button to snap the pic?

OP
U

uconnkid3219

Reaction score
Yes, I do have the on screen button to snap the picture... but I'm nearly positive that I had that before the OS update. I found the main website that brought the camera/gallery to my attention:

Froyo Feature: 3D gallery and camera changes in Android 2.2 | Android Central

Main thing that made me realize I don't have the same camera as that website shows is the fact that I can't adjust the exposure (as shown in that picture)... or at least I'm pretty positive I can't.

Realized it IS an article from May 26th, though, lol. So it must be an article for the original Droid when they got Froyo... perhaps only the original Droid got the new camera and 3D gallery? Doesn't really make sense why they would do that though lol.

snap

Reaction score
look pretty sweet... i dont have that either... soo anyone info on this?

OP
U

uconnkid3219

Reaction score
Figured out the 3D Gallery part of it.... The .zip file I found that wasn't working was simply because it was a .zip and I was trying to download it to my phone. So I just downloaded the .zip to my computer, extracted the .apk file out of it, and emailed the .apk to my phone so that I could download and install it.

Here's the link (for the 3D Gallery .zip):
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/62876-froyo-3d-gallery-droid-x.html

As far as the camera... I have no idea.

Technoman

Reaction score
Yes, I do have the on screen button to snap the picture... but I'm nearly positive that I had that before the OS update.

Main thing that made me realize I don't have the same camera as that website shows is the fact that I can't adjust the exposure (as shown in that picture)... or at least I'm pretty positive I can't.

If you have the on screen icon to "take a picture" then you have the new camera APP. You can adjust exposure by pressing your settings hard key while in the camera app... scroll down to the exposure setting. This was on the 2.1 update 1 camera APP. The button on the screen was not on the prior APP.

timrock

Reaction score
The on screen button was in the prior version
Yes, I do have the on screen button to snap the picture... but I'm nearly positive that I had that before the OS update.

If you have the on screen icon to "take a picture" then you have the new camera APP. You can adjust exposure by pressing your settings hard key while in the camera app... scroll down to the exposure setting. This was on the 2.1 update 1 camera APP. The button on the screen was not on the prior APP.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Technoman

Reaction score
The on screen button was in the prior version

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

That's interesting... because it wasn't on my prior camera APP at 2.1 update 1. There was the record indicator on the camcorder, but the camera APP did not have anything on screen unless you brought up the settings.

OP
U

uconnkid3219

Reaction score
Yea, I was almost positive the on screen button was there before I updated to 2.2 last night. I could always be wrong, but I don't know pretty positive I remember having it before.

And I take it you didn't click on the link I posted? Because the new camera app that is supposedly out there somewhere allows you to access the exposure settings through one of several on screen icons (there are 5 on screen icons on one "task bar"). The settings hard key method you explained is different than what is shown in the picture. And as I think I mentioned in my original post... the new camera app is supposed to allow 360 rotation and the task bar (and the icons on it) rotates with the picture apparently.

Well, at least this answers my question that no one in this thread has the new version of the camera.. or else you'd know what I'm talking about lol. Odd... must have only been released for the original Droid I guess? But then again I was able to find the 3D Gallery for the DX... so who knows.

Alex.DF

Reaction score
That post you linked to is referring to the camera app on stock android, I think. Droid X doesn't run stock so we get a skinned camera app. Also, no, there was no on-screen button on Droid X 2.1, I know because I used the camera a ton and it was the first thing I noticed when I updated to 2.2 and tried it out.

Yea, I was almost positive the on screen button was there before I updated to 2.2 last night. I could always be wrong, but I don't know pretty positive I remember having it before.

And I take it you didn't click on the link I posted? Because the new camera app that is supposedly out there somewhere allows you to access the exposure settings through one of several on screen icons (there are 5 on screen icons on one "task bar"). The settings hard key method you explained is different than what is shown in the picture. And as I think I mentioned in my original post... the new camera app is supposed to allow 360 rotation and the task bar (and the icons on it) rotates with the picture apparently.

Well, at least this answers my question that no one in this thread has the new version of the camera.. or else you'd know what I'm talking about lol. Odd... must have only been released for the original Droid I guess? But then again I was able to find the 3D Gallery for the DX... so who knows.

Technoman

Reaction score
That link you posted is in regards to Froyo on the Droid 1. It is straight Google, with the X we have Blur. Blur changes a lot of things, apparently included in that is the camera.

timrock

Reaction score
wow really, i remember seeing and using the on screen button on the camera, way before the update came out. i remember this, because when i switched to Vingette, i was shocked that there was no on screen button, but then i played with the settings and found that i can take pics by just tapping the screen. My phone is one of the ones that was recently shipped (received 9/12), i didnt get mines at launch.
That post you linked to is referring to the camera app on stock android, I think. Droid X doesn't run stock so we get a skinned camera app. Also, no, there was no on-screen button on Droid X 2.1, I know because I used the camera a ton and it was the first thing I noticed when I updated to 2.2 and tried it out.

freebird_78

Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but has anyone sucessfully used the stock app to sync/upload to Photobucket. I go through process, enter my account settings, it says "connecting to account" or similar, but stays at about 60% (+/-) for a LONG time, then nothing. Quick upload still doesn't work.