Froyo built in wireless tethering hotspot

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by djrakun, Jun 28, 2010.

1. djrakun

djrakun Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've tried a lot of AOSP roms in the last week, and i've resigned to the fact that none of them will be coming with the built in wireless tethering (hotspot option in the 'tethering' part of the settings). I can only conclude that the hotspot code does not come with google's release of FRF83, but I would assume that the wifi driver itself can still support using the card as an access point natively.

If the source isn't available for the hotspot tethering, maybe an app can be written that can make the Droid an AP? maybe wifi tether can be updated? Anybody got insight on this topic?

2. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6
  3. djrakun

djrakun Member

Ratings:
    +0
    wireless tether only supports ad-hoc mode. The built-in hotspot app broadcasts your phone as a conventional wireless access point from what i read. Playstation3 firmware does not support ad-hoc networks, which is why wireless tether, although awesome, doesn't fulfill my needs

ps i meant wireless tether when i said 'maybe wifi tether can be updated?'. i should have mentioned that i meant the app itself. I guess the name is ambiguous enough that the sentence could be read differently

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  4. RemyL75

RemyL75 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    There really needs to be a topic (if there isn't one already) that explains how wifi Tether and Wifi Hotspot are 2 different things.
    I have been looking for this as well, and no it isn't in any of the currently released ROMs (stock or custom) out there. Hopefully someone will add it to a custom ROM, because I KNOW VZN won't let that feature fly without a $20 fee.

5. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    It will probably be a VZW-provided app (not something built into Froyo). My guess would be that it won't launch until Froyo is official. The reason you haven't seen it (again, just a guess) is that it's neither part of Android source, nor a Google provided app.

6. djrakun

djrakun Member

Ratings:
    +0
    if it's going to be a $20 fee, it probably makes more sense for me to just start griping to sony to get the ps3 to support ad-hoc :)

7. Backnblack

Ratings:
    +6
  8. djrakun

djrakun Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yep i do the same thing. I'd like to eliminate the need for me to drag my pc home from work whenever i want to play ps3 online. My goal is to reduce the complexity to ps3-to-droid. The minimum workable solution i have now is to buy a wireless repeater and connect it to ps3's ethernet jack, then configure the bridge to connect to the ad-hoc network created by my phone. Still requires some additional hardware, but at least it is a $30 repeater and not a $800 laptop

9. RemyL75

RemyL75 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    It was announced about a month ago that wifi hotspot would be built-in. I have even seen the screen shots for it. That's why most people who are looking for it are checking the newly released ROMs.

Here is one of the articles and a screenshot...
    Google Android 2.2 Froyo: Tethering, Wi-Fi hotspot support | ZDNet

10. Backnblack

Ratings:
    +6
    I see what your getting at....Full geek here tho...

At home I have Dual Wireless routers, 3 laptops, 4 Desktop PCs, 1 Netbook, 1 iPad (don't ask).

At work we still play Doom via wan at lunch. (It's good to be the boss)

11. RemyL75

RemyL75 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    I cheat, I have 1 router that broadcasts 4 separate signals lol

Similar setup... 2 Laptops (one is a 20" beast :D), 1 regular Desktop, 1 server (5.5TBs and growing :D), 2 android phones, wifi printer, 1 AP for Video Games, another AP for Video Streaming and soon to have an Android Tablet.

Reason i am looking for the wifi hotspot option is that i want to use my tablet while away from home. Android devices won't connect to ad-hoc connections. I tested this with both android phones here and 5 of my friends who also have android phones (1 Droid, 1 Devour, 2 Moto Cliqs, 1 Samsung Behold, 1 G1 and 1 Nexus One). If the Droid had similar capabilities to a Mifi, then the tablet could be used when I travel on public transportation.

12. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    That's a very early screenshot of Froyo, i'd venture to say earlier than any builds we've seen. I still doubt very seriously that it'd be built-in; NONE of the carrier specific features that generate revenue are. I'd expect that we will see the final version in the official release, with a fancy VZW branded GUI. When they say built-in; they mean the underlying OS supports the feature. What you see in that menu screenshot is a rudimentary interface to give them a way to test it.

13. RW-1

RW-1 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    More to the point, the OS native hotspot capability will not be included, it HAS to be a VZ provided app, otherwise VZ couldn't track the bandwidth usage ... of course there is still the android wi fi tether, but not to your liking or suitability.

14. RemyL75

RemyL75 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Then I would have to assume that the Nexus One has a test version that was distributed VIA OTA.

Here is a YouTube video showing the Nexus One running Froyo.

At the 4:38 mark, they go into the tethering and hotspot section of the options. If i hadn't seen the pics and videos on this, I wouldn't have even gotten my hopes up about it. But people keep taunting me lol.

So what is shown in the video isn't built into the underlying OS?? And if it's not, why would it be available on the Nexus One, when it's not attached to any specific company in such a way that it would have the custom UI and features??

I'm not trying to be a pest, I swear. But I am really looking for this feature and as i said before, they keep teasing me with it lol

15. RW-1

RW-1 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    AFAIK for the N1, google uploads the OS, there is nothing on top of it, or limiting placed by T-Mobile ... That would explain it, but let me know if incorrect, because Froyo hasn't really hit the N1 as of yet, so it remains to be seen natively.

Search tags for this page
android wifi hotspot source code
droid 1 froyo hotspot app
froyo mobile ap

froyo wifi hotspot download