froyo 2.2 seems weak right now

Dannysdman

Reaction score
I have been reading through threads and although its cool that we have this available to us, it seems that after seeing 2.2 in action and reverting back to 2.1. The previous version blows 2.2 out of the water when it comes to speed and bugginess as of now. I guess that is the reason why the OTA update is still not released yet. Has anyone else reverted back to 2.1 and noticed significant differences in overall smoothness or what!?

Reaction score
I've upgraded... reverted back (to theme)... then upgraded again because I saw no problems in 2.2 and no improvement by going back to 2.1... Yes, I've seen countless people reverting back because of issues, but many, many of us have a smooth install of 2.2 running. Overall, it's just as smooth and quick - if not smoother in some areas. I guess it happens to be the build quality of HW for each particular device, other than that, I'd have no idea... Maybe it's like the old saying "Never buy a car built on a Monday... or a Friday." :greendroid:

iojk9999

Reaction score
I gather there are two camps:
1.the ones who took a fresh start before upgrading to 2.2
2.the ones that didn't

This is what I did (the day 2.2 came out):
1.Meticulously unrooted my phone
2.did a full factory reset
3.rooted my phone
4.installed root explorer
5.installed kouch recovery
6.made a backup
7.uninstalled meticulously kouch recovery (saw instructions in a post)
8.moved su from bin to xbin
9.upgraded to 2.2
10.had no problems, except 'not getting all the apps listed in market'
I'd never to back, it's much faster, much nicer

you can skip 5-7, I was just on paranoid mode.

If you have done short of a clean install you aren't in position to judge 2.2

northernmoris

Reaction score
I got to 2.2 through Rom Manager. I accidentally wiped data my first time round, not realizing my mistake until it was too late. Had to sbf back to 2.1, reroot, got all my apps back through titanium backup and finally went back to 2.2 through Rom manager. Since Sunday i've been running Froyo with absolutely no issues. My market was fine, mms etc...
I personally wouldn't go back, mostly for how much better my sound is and better yet my batttery is 10x better.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I gather there are two camps:
1.the ones who took a fresh start before upgrading to 2.2
2.the ones that didn't

This is what I did (the day 2.2 came out):
1.Meticulously unrooted my phone
2.did a full factory reset
3.rooted my phone
4.installed root explorer
5.installed kouch recovery
6.made a backup
7.uninstalled meticulously kouch recovery (saw instructions in a post)
8.moved su from bin to xbin
9.upgraded to 2.2
10.had no problems, except 'not getting all the apps listed in market'
I'd never to back, it's much faster, much nicer

you can skip 5-7, I was just on paranoid mode.

If you have done short of a clean install you aren't in position to judge 2.2

I agree. I did mine similar. I installed the bootstrap version that u didnt have to uninstall. (By the time I was about to install bootstrap, Froyo dropped and the updated bootstrap came out.) I wiped data, cache a few times in CW Recovery. Then I installed Froyo already rooted. Only problem I had is Battery Manager FCing and something else I cant remember right now. I see performance boost here n there tho. So much so that unless a showstopper bug comes up, I will be running Froyo until the next leak comes out.

Doing it the way me n you did means u may have to get some of your apps back manually, but I would rather have as clean of an install of Froyo as possible.

I know with the Droid, it was recommended to do a Factory Reset (data, cache wipe) before going from 2.1 to 2.2.

Last edited:

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i already was rooted and had RomManager on mine. used that to install 2.2 and was simple and i still have root

works pretty nice IMO and super snappy

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
The previous version blows 2.2 out of the water when it comes to speed and bugginess as of now.
it's other way around. 2.2 blows 2.1 out of the water in every department. there are only two issues with 2.2 on my phone and that's battery manager acting funny and market search bug which was fixed with a downloadable app.

DroidX101

Reaction score
here's mine,
1.moved su from bin to xbin
2. wiped cach
3.installed 2.2
4.kept root and all apps

Ran into 1 error, but that was due to not having a stock app.

everthing was running fast over 1500 on benchmark. then was trying to move some bloatware and must have moved someting I wasn't supposed to, then had hell, kept getting boot loop.

Flashed, unable to load 2.1 so installed 2.2 and ran into all the problems everyone else was running into, and lost root.
Flashed again ran 2.1 till I got all my apps installed, then rooted, then applied 2.2 again, everthing is working great again and is running 1400+ on benchmark. I'm leaving it alone this time.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
U know what, thats the one thing I havent done yet with Froyo: try to remove bloatware.

iojk9999

Reaction score
U know what, thats the one thing I havent done yet with Froyo: try to remove bloatware.

I didn't want to remove bloatware because if I did see something funny going on I couldn't rule out bloatware removal as the cause. I'm just going to continue 'monitoring' my phone till the official comes out, plus a week before I do it. Besides, if I wait for the official I can't tard-out and forget to put the bloat back on.

Last edited:

shaneaus

Reaction score
I'm LOVING 2.2 - FROYO!!

Most of the changes aren't MAJOR - they just tweak the some of the Gapps and Android works. But, cumulatively - they are great! and make the whole experience better!

Speed seems about the same as 2.1 for me. Can't wait till we can undervolt it to see how long we can make the battery last!

debaucher

Reaction score
Going from 2.1 to 2.2 frickin made my day... like getting a new tank full of sharks with lasers on their heads...... that cool.

Everything runs faster, getting 1500 on Quadrant and just rooted (for the first time) using the droid2-droidx root method.

Going to do the same for my older brother this weekend when I visit.

D.