Froyo 2.2 MUST STOP Reboots

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score
I see where the phone chokes at times. I have 4 accounts setup on K-9. I have it set to check email every 15 or 30 minutes, usually the latter. The phone seems to choke badly when it is checking email or doing something with K-9 and OS 2.1. As a result, if it was downloading email, deleting emails, whatever, Android can't seem to just stop what it is doing to answer the phone or dial. It hangs there for a while and sometimes I'll get the wait/force quite dialog box.

I know I'm far from the only one with the answer problems. There is a thread here of several others with the same issue. I'm just hoping that Google will finally protect the phone portion. I think Verizon's CDMA based phones need it more than any other phone. No more Goggles or other Google app. Make the phone app rock solid!!!!

mcapozzi

Reaction score
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but all smartphones have software problems from time to time.

Blackberries crash, iPhones crash, Droids crash, WinMo phones crash, just do a Google search and you'll see that they all have problems.

If you treated your phone like a computer (rebooted it every other day or so), you may have better results.

Almost all of us have rock solid devices, truth is, most of us don't try to win uptime contests with our phones and the occasional reboot does wonders to ensure that when the phone rings, it won't screw up.

It is obvious with your statement "I'm just hoping that Google will finally protect the phone portion. I think Verizon's CDMA based phones need it more than any other phone. No more Goggles or other Google app. Make the phone app rock solid!!!!" that you aren't familiar with the OSI model, or the fundamentals of operating system design.

This isn't your first gripe post about your phone that reboots every now and then. The pity party must end at some point. Please do one of the following:

1) Reboot your phone every day or so like the rest of us probably do (it takes less than 2 minutes).

2) Get a Blackberry and fill their forums with your whining cause your Blackberry will crash just like every other smartphone on the market.

-Mike

mcapozzi

Reaction score
1) Reboot your phone every day or so like the rest of us probably do (it takes less than 2 minutes).

Is my Cyanogen slow? :| Mine takes 5 minutes sometimes...

BB 0.2.1 boots in under 1 minute, in 90 seconds all the widgets have loaded and everything is good to go.

Even if it is 5 minutes for some folks, there has to be something you all do routinely that separates you from your phone long enough to give it a chance to reboot (potty break, shower, dinner, etc.).

:)

-Mike

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but all smartphones have software problems from time to time.

Blackberries crash, iPhones crash, Droids crash, WinMo phones crash, just do a Google search and you'll see that they all have problems.
Mike, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Smartphones do not and should not crash or freeze every day. Nobody should have to reboot their smartphone every day as is your advice. I NEVER rebooted my iPhone or Blackberry every day and I owned many models and the people in my office had the same experience.

Even out of the box I remember my Droid (and others talking about) having too many "wait" dialog boxes where the phone app was waiting for something unknown. I've read the forums about the FC boxes appearing.

The iPhone was limited in that it couldn't multitask - that's its issue - but the phone portion is solid. Blackberries - stability cannot even be compared. Now we all know that Android is still "in progress" but the phone operation portion should be paramount. How about this absurd requirement to "swipe" to answer the phone? Where does this stuff come from? I'm always performing several swipes every call to make sure one of them might register. Did anyone test this? Put a button there or add the option into the API. End the mystery. I'm hoping 2.2 makes it really easy just to answer the phone.

One other issue - I don't even have a home app or overlay because there was no thought given into having hard buttons to get to the phone app or answer the phone from any screen. As someone else here said, it's as if Droid is a PC first and a phone second. I'm hoping that trend reverses or is at least equaled.

mcapozzi

Reaction score

Mike, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Smartphones do not and should not crash or freeze every day. Nobody should have to reboot their smartphone every day as is your advice. I NEVER rebooted my iPhone or Blackberry every day and I owned many models and the people in my office had the same experience.

Even out of the box I remember my Droid (and others talking about) having too many "wait" dialog boxes where the phone app was waiting for something unknown. I've read the forums about the FC boxes appearing.

The iPhone was limited in that it couldn't multitask - that's its issue - but the phone portion is solid. Blackberries - stability cannot even be compared. Now we all know that Android is still "in progress" but the phone operation portion should be paramount. How about this absurd requirement to "swipe" to answer the phone? Where does this stuff come from? I'm always performing several swipes every call to make sure one of them might register. Did anyone test this? Put a button there or add the option into the API. End the mystery. I'm hoping 2.2 makes it really easy just to answer the phone.

One other issue - I don't even have a home app or overlay because there was no thought given into having hard buttons to get to the phone app or answer the phone from any screen. As someone else here said, it's as if Droid is a PC first and a phone second. I'm hoping that trend reverses or is at least equaled.

Duh!, nobody ever said everyday, not even you said it crashed everyday...

If you knew anything about how software works, you'd know that some crashes will take the whole device out, regardless of the operating system.

The only reason why a Blackberry would be more reliable than Android or iPhone is because the Blackberry is a less capable platform.

Blackberries are solid, please, half the tickets in the IT helpdesk here are Blackberry issues. I use to run a BES server and I managed 50 Blackberries, they are crap, period.

If all you are *****ing about is the lack of a hardware answer button then you're the genius that bought the phone without testing it first. It isn't like the answer button disappeared during a software update.

If your phone crashes everyday (which I doubt), it is because it either has a hardware defect, or it is a combination of software that YOU are choosing to run. If you ran just the stock software, you probably would rarely ever crash the phone.

-Mike

mcapozzi

Reaction score
i don't recall ever having reboots with 2.1.
Well, then you must be special. :)

My phone reboots itself at least once every few days minimum. It usually happens every day. It has gotten to the point where I am not confident the phone will stay on and connected every time I answer the phone.

I've also heard people's phones will sometimes answer immediately. Mine has lags and I have to wait sometimes just for that stupid swipe to work.

My phone is also stock, not rooted.

Once again, you explicitly state "once every few days minimum", not every day. My Blackberry 8830 would lock up every 2-3days (no trackball, no keyboard), and my Motorola Q9M (WinMo) would refuse to sync to Exchange after a while (usually a week).

Then you change your whiny little tirade to complain about the answer button, last time I checked, the iPhone didn't have a hardware answer button. Heck, if you have a problem with swiping, you'd REALLY have a hard time with an iPhone.

-Mike

Last edited:

foolydooly

Reaction score

Is my Cyanogen slow? :| Mine takes 5 minutes sometimes...

BB 0.2.1 boots in under 1 minute, in 90 seconds all the widgets have loaded and everything is good to go.

Even if it is 5 minutes for some folks, there has to be something you all do routinely that separates you from your phone long enough to give it a chance to reboot (potty break, shower, dinner, etc.).

:)

-sleep

;P

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score
Interesting stuff....

OK... so I had this theory that the Droid may choke when in the process of fetching email, storing email, etc. especially on Verizon's CDMA network. The OS does not have a way to shut down other apps or pause them so that the phone app can be used as priority. I was having an IMPOSSIBLE time today. Tried to open the phone app, had to wait 15 seconds until it worked. I missed several calls when the phone app didn't respond quickly enough.

I noticed a few things using K-9, perhaps the best email app I've seen on a mobile phone for a long time (except for NOT having an automatic purge/trash removal!!!) To begin, I always notice a lot of activity showing me data is being exchanged on Verizon's data network. It's very slow, much slower than AT&T. Even in big cities, Verizon's voice network is good, data network mediocre. Now K-9 seems to seize the phone more than others when it works itself up into a frenzy, especially when you have 5 email accounts and a few dozen messages in each. I am guessing this also has to do with storage being on the SD card instead of internally like the Palm, iPhone and Bberry. Access is much slower.

So... I deleted the entire app. I'm having withdrawal now, lol. I will know tomorrow whether my experiment worked but, so far, the phone seems much quicker all the way around. The built in email app is mostly worthless so I'm going to have to see what we can do. I'll let you guys know the result of my experiment but, so far, it seems that this is the cause of the slowdown. Hopefully Froyo will isolate the phone function. Let's hope. I really NEED my emails. :)