Froyo 2.2 for droid??

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by kiyanofosho, May 14, 2010.

1. kiyanofosho

kiyanofosho New Member

Will droid users have to wait for froyo 2.2 like we did for 2.1?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  2. Droids

Droids New Member

No doubt. It'll be the same with 2.3 too. Not sure I even understand the question. Do you know anyone running 2.2 right now? Are Droid users behind some other phone?

Edit: Only the Shadow knows. :)
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
  3. titans

titans Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

You didn't have to wait for 2.1, there were many 2.1 based ROMs months before 2.1 came out. As far as 2.2 ROM goes, it all depends if there is a leak.
  4. kiyanofosho

kiyanofosho New Member

well what i meant is. i know there were many leaked versions of 2.1. but they had bugs and little things that needed work, but will we have to wait for a looong time to get 2.2, or will it be like the nexus one, the droid and other specific phones get it faster?
  5. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Let me ask you this. What do you consider a long time?

From the time 2.0.1 in came out in December 2009 there was speculation on 2.1 Around the start of January rumors were spreading about a 1/22 date for distribution that never accord. There was another speculative date that turned out wrong in February. In March (I believe) we received the update.

3 months from one update to the next. That's not a long wait. So If we have to wait until June I wouldn't be surprised and I wouldn't consider it a long wait.

Having been an owner of the Blackberry Storm I can tell you that their official updates usually run about 6 months apart. We get updates rather quickly IMHO.

So it really depends on what you consider a "long" time. Give it a few months at least, who knows, maybe we will be surprised.
  6. Big Cam

Big Cam New Member

I'm with Hook, coming from a blackberry curve, I owned the phone for 20 months and there was only one update, and I had to install it from my PC, OTA didn't work for the curve.

So an update every few months is just fine.
  7. papy72

papy72 New Member

I personally think there is a lot of misunderstanding revolving around people not knowing how the OS distribution channels work for Android. The confusion causes people to expect the new updates much sooner than they should be.

The following is all IMO, and for all I know I could be wrong too. If I am then I'm sure people who are smarter than I will correct me.

Now for example, I've heard rumors and speculation that say that 2.2 will be released at Google I/O next week. While that is probably true that doesn't mean it will be pushed to our phones next week.

Google puts out a release and then it's up to the manufacturers and carriers to get it out the door. That could take weeks or even months to get done. I seem to recall that 2.1 was "released" by Google sometime in January, but we got our update just recently.

This is one way that I believe the Nexus One owners benefit: Google is the company that supports it, so it can push OS updates to the N1 generally sooner than we will get it (because Moto / VZW has to put it through their QA process).

Behind the N1 I would expect to see any phone using an unmodified (or just slightly modified) OS to be the next on the list. In other words, all us Moto Droid owners.

Sometime after that the phones using a custom OS (Blur, Sense, etc.) would get their update, because the manufacturers have to build their custom code into the new release, and that takes more time than just testing the new release.
  8. JhankG

JhankG New Member

What's the point of this thread? None of us know how long the wait will be for 2.2...
  9. necronomican

necronomican New Member

Yea there just announcing the release of 2.2 and talking about the features at the event on the 19th and 20th.
  10. bonezmusic

bonezmusic New Member

I have a questions was wondering if someone could help, I went onto the android market and tried to download layar and google voice apps numerous times and each time i tried it was unsuccessful does anyone happen to know what could be the cause of this and how can it be resolved...
  11. Hunty5652

Hunty5652 New Member

i just got mine heres a video of what it is.
  12. Hunty5652

Hunty5652 New Member

i just got mine heres what it is.