Froyo 2.2 and USB Tethering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Chan

Reaction score
Good morning.

I've heard a lot of conflicting stories. So, I'm going to the pros here. When I upgrade to 2.2, will I lose my ability to USB Tether? I'm talking unrooted stock D1 here.

Where I live, the internet is a pipe dream so USB tethering is a godsend.

Thank you,
Uncle Chan

HamDog

Reaction score
What do you mean by lose your tether capability? If you are on stock 2.1 unrooted, you don't have tethering capabilities anyways, unless you downloaded a 3rd party app. And if you did download a 3rd party app (such as PDAnet), you'll still have it when you upgrade to 2.2.

Tethering doesn't come with 2.2 just like it didn't with any other earlier version. But for all versions (including 2.2), a 3rd party app will work just fine and give you tethering.

I was using a paid version of PDAnet on 2.1 and when I upgraded to 2.2 yesterday, PDAnet still works fine.

OP
U

Uncle Chan

Reaction score
What do you mean by lose your tether capability? If you are on stock 2.1 unrooted, you don't have tethering capabilities anyways, unless you downloaded a 3rd party app. And if you did download a 3rd party app (such as PDAnet), you'll still have it when you upgrade to 2.2.

Tethering doesn't come with 2.2 just like it didn't with any other earlier version. But for all versions (including 2.2), a 3rd party app will work just fine and give you tethering.

I was using a paid version of PDAnet on 2.1 and when I upgraded to 2.2 yesterday, PDAnet still works fine.

That is what I needed to know. I've read conflicting reports. Appreciate it.

harv2000

Reaction score
2.2 Tethering, my experience

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I installed the canonical 2.2 (Froyo) last night and noted that the tethering option was there in settings. Plugged into a PC, touched "tether", the PC immediately showed as connected to "Network" and the Droid showed tethering as active. Brought up the browser and got the Verizon "call to pay your bill" page offering $20 for 2Gig (better than nothing).

So, today, I called. The sales rep was puzzled that she couldn't find the code to add tethering, so she escalated me to a tech. After struggling with it for a while, the tech said that not only should tethering work, but hotspot should work as well and he was puzzled that he couldn't add it. He'll call back tomorrow after he has gotten that fixed. We'll see.

As a sidebar, while working with me, he had me run through the *228 update, which, now, connects to phone mail and not roaming update. Not sure what that's all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.