From Source..or not?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by cloudstrife05, Oct 24, 2010.

1. cloudstrife05

cloudstrife05 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Finally took the plunge a rooted back a few months ago and after half a dozen ROM's and twice as many Themes, im addicted to switching up my D1 almost on a weekly basis.

Anyway the reason for this Thread. I see ROM's released from Source and some not from.

Whats the difference? I only ask because the developers, when releasing a ROM will always state from Source or not. Is there an advantage to running a ROM from source? I'm just at a point where im trying to learn a little more about my phone, and what im really doing to it.

2. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +92
    From source basically means from the ground up - the best example would be to run a non source ROM for a few days and then a source one...the differences are like night and day

Sent from my Original Droid using the Exclusive Droid Forums App (Available Free in the Market) :wink:

3. cloudstrife05

cloudstrife05 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thx, so not from source would mean that the ROM was taken in part, (basic framework?) from an existing ROM?...like cyanogen?
    I only say that because of some the things ive read about the MIUI ROM.

4. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +92
    No...not from source would mean that someone took the stock 2.2 Google/Android OTA and made some performance tweaks to it and released it as a ROM

Source means taking the source codes google uses to build their releases and building it from the ground up adding settings and options that cannot be found in any OTA or non source ROM

Sent from my Original Droid using the Exclusive Droid Forums App (Available Free in the Market) :wink:

5. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +22
    A non-source built ROM is someone taking "any" ROM (OTA, CyanogenMod, etc..) and editing it. Download the .zip of the ROM and start editing it. It doesn't have to be the stock OTA ROM.

A source built ROM is compiled from the open source code provided by Google/Android. Changes can be made at the source, replacing, adding or editing the source code provided and then compiling into a ROM.zip.

6. DF Smod

DF Smod Silver Member

Ratings:
    +92
    Thanks for the clarification :wink: