1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

From iPhone to Motorola Droid

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by IceCold357, Feb 16, 2010.

1. IceCold357

IceCold357 New Member

Okay I LOVE my iphone but I am just really fed up with AT&T. On my trip up to Athens, GA this weekend for a game, I had to depend on my wife's Droid because the coverage on my iPhone was just horrible. It was really the straw that broke my back. I have been dealing with this AT&T coverage issue in my area for awhile now and was able to do so just because I love the iPhone. Well I just can't take it anymore and have just ordered a Motorola Droid from Verizon. I have no issue with the iPhone just with AT&T. Anyway, has anyone here made that switch from iPhone to Android? What are some tips on actually making that switch? Pro's and Con's I am really excited to be able to finally have 3G coverage in my area since Verizon has it and AT&T doesn't. I have been playing with my wife's Droid and it is an amazing device. Any input would be helpful. Thanks guys! (Just my little rant and personal opinion)
  2. HMJB

HMJB New Member

hahaha
    Welcome!

For me, I had the original iPhone for 3-4 years (lost track) before I switched to Verizon for the Droid.... had no problems adjusting to the much faster phone. Only thing really was getting used to a real keyboard! Since I was using the onscreen keyboard with the iPhone for so long... that was my only adjustment I think!
  3. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Well-Known Member

Well, and one you weren't forced to make. He could use the virtual keyboard if he wished.

Welcome to the forum, be prepared to unleash the power of a real device!
  4. joker402

joker402 New Member

welcome and the iphone is cool but its only cool if it has covrage other than that its just an Ipod (no pun intended)

you will love the droid and if you cant get used to the keyboard(s) than jyou can download the Iphone keyboard and use that (i do) so it gives you some thing familiar
  5. IceCold357

IceCold357 New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Keep all the tips coming. I am checking my FEDEX tracker like every other hour to see where my Droid is, ha!. I think I will do that iphone keyboard because I type really fast on that. I have been typing on my wife's Droid and I am pretty good on it so I think I will be alright. Is there anyway I can get all my contacts from my iPhone on to my Droid or will I have to do it all manually? Again thanks for the welcomes and I am still listening to all tips! And so true about the coverage deal with the iPhone. It's just been killing me.
  6. joker402

joker402 New Member

we do it with a cellbrite machine at my store but idk of any other way to get them unless the iphone lets you store them on you computer then you can import them to your gmail account and that will sync with the droid
  7. IceCold357

IceCold357 New Member

I think I will try to synch them to Gmail and then to the Droid. That may work. If I have to do it all manually no big deal. Just more time I get to spend messing around with my new Droid.
  8. HMJB

HMJB New Member

Easiest way to is to use the built-in option within iTunes. You can check a tick box and automatically have iTunes sync your contacts to your Google Account.
    [​IMG]
  9. IceCold357

IceCold357 New Member

Got it. Thanks! That's too easy.
  10. AnneDroid

AnneDroid Rescue Squad

Welcome to the forum, IceCold357! I hope you enjoy your time here!
  11. IceCold357

IceCold357 New Member

Thank You AnneDroid! This looks like a great spot so I will enjoy being here and learning.
  12. Mtig

Mtig New Member

You can download bump on both and use that to get your contacts not sure how fast that will be but it does work. Good luck and glad you came to the light!
  13. IceCold357

IceCold357 New Member

Oh now that's a good idea also. Good Looking out!
  14. mantis5

mantis5 New Member

Welcome IceCold357.

I found it very easy to type on the Droid's virtual keyboard after being used to my ipod touch, so I don't think you will have much of an issue there. I hardly ever use the hardware keyboard.

Only advice I'll give is, be aware that the Android Market apps don't undergo certification like the Apple iTunes store, so time spent on research is well spent. Not all apps play nicely together. Read the reviews. :)

This forum is full of helpful people so if you have any questions, you are likely to find them here!
  15. cpjr

cpjr New Member

Congrats....but dunno what was up with your iphone, I live in Athens and have both the droid and iphone, have never had coverage issues with it here or around :eek:
  16. IceCold357

IceCold357 New Member

No it was fine in Athens but just the entire way up from Hinesville to Athens my coverage was horrible while my wife had 3G the whole way. I did have good 3G Coverage while I was in Athens. Also there is no 3G coverage with AT&T here in Hinesville.
  17. IceCold357

IceCold357 New Member

Thanks a lot for the input. Very Useful tips on the Apps. I am just used to grabbing them and trying them. I will def do research and read reviews now.
  18. cpjr

cpjr New Member

Ahhh, I see your problem, Ive never heard of Hinesville :icon_eek: Lol, just kidding...
  19. CharlieX

CharlieX New Member

I just switched 2 weeks ago. I've been iphone since the day 1 launch (3 years ago??).

iphone was tight: everything worked just right and all the options were easy to find. Android challenges you slightly - but if you even have 1% nerd in your blood it won't be a problem. In fact the level of customization will really make you smile. It's FUN to change your phone whenever you feel like it!

Right now there's NOTHING I did with my iPhone that I can't do in Droid. I wasn't a big gamer.... all my phone did was make calls, sync my calender, and play media. But a big plus: android has the new Google Maps which makes traffic transparent under the names of roads: a huge annoyance on iphone.

MEDIA SUCKS! I still have my iphone as my ipod. Audible doesn't have an Android app so I still need something to play my audiobooks. And renting a couple movies on itunes for a long plane trip is too easy with iphone. Removing DRM is such a huge hassle for me. I get why Apple is doing it, but it sucks I need to be locked into your device and the studios go along with it..... But you can still totally use Droid to play back un-DRM songs and videos no problem. Apple still has the bomb interface for music and video......

VERIZON!!!!! My ping times are 100% faster. I get DATA and MAPS when I need it. AT&T in Los Angeles was sucked dry because all us "fancy media people" had iphones. This is the primary reason I jumped ship - AT&T simply sucked. This network is solid.

LOUD and CLEAR!!! The Droid is loud. Speakerphone, ringtunes, etc.... And whatever chips they're using for voice are amazing sound. iPhone was always a little wimpy and tinny.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  20. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Yep! I had the same experience -- did not have a beef with the phone rather with the carrier. I dropped more calls in seven months with AT&T than I had in the previous seven years with VZW.

I dropped AT&T November 1st. I did not purchase my Droid until December 26th. At first, I was not sure if I liked the Droid. Well, that changed very quickly. The ability to customize this phone is great and fun. I rooted it last Sunday which opened another world of fun.

My opinion, if your make the switch switch you will be very happy!

Mike