Friend looking for a phone... Which one?

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I have a friend that is looking to switch to VZ. She's looking for a phone for free or close to it. I narrowed it down to the M-8, G3, S5, or the 2nd gen MotoX. She doesn't need it to do anything special. So which one do you recommend? Or which one should she avoid? I'm a fan of Moto because of their radios and I love my 1st gen X.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think of those, the safest choice would be the S5. Battery life is good, isn't too large, good camera, screen is great. All around good device for someone not huge on phones.

on the move..

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
The battery life is amazing on my S5. A year in and I can still get a full day with heavy usage.
That said, they can't go wrong with any of the devices listed, save for the M8 & its terrible camera.

S5 tap'n

OP
LoudRam

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Thanks, from what I've been reading in here all of those phones are good. If I had to put one on the bottom of the list it probably would be the M-8. That's why I wanted other opinions, they are all solid phones.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Just my 2 cents but I would say the Moto X 2014. I am partial to Moto phones, I won't deny that. But that's not the reason I say it. You said free or close to it so I assume you are talking new contract price. When I bought my daughters each a Moto X 2014 two weeks ago all those other phones were around $99 and the Moto X is only .99 in plain black or white. The camera may not be as good as the GS5, but Moto's cameras have come a long way in the last two years and its not bad for every day use. Its a great phone for 99 cents and if she has $49.99 available she can custom make one on the Moto Maker website. Nothing wrong with any of the other phones you mentioned though, anyone of those is a great choice. But I think only one is free or close to it.

OP
LoudRam

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
But I think only one is free or close to it.
Yes the X is $.99 on the VZ website. The other three are $1 on Best Buys website. Best buy has the X for $50. It'll probably come down to her actually trying each phone but I want to give her a solid short list. She's not very tech savvy and I don't want the sales person selling her junk.

Last edited: