FRG83G-> FRK76 Upgrade On Rooted Droid 1

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by dallgood, Jan 13, 2012.

1. dallgood

dallgood New Member

I am having difficulty upgrading from FRG83G (2.2.2) to FRK76 (2.2.3) on my rooted Droid 1. My goal is to stop the OTA announcements to upgrade my device.

Background:

I feel pathetic I haven't found instructions already online. Ive seen this post that stops OTA announcements to upgrade to FRG83G, but I didn't understand how to follow the steps. (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bugless/132847-blocking-frg83g-ota-update.html)

There was also this post about about upgrading to FRK76. (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bugless/184184-frk76.html) Again, I couldn't quite follow the steps.

I've also tried to install the Stock Rooted Rom for the FRK76 off Peter Alfonso's downloads site. The kept leading to a nandroid error 25. (I extracted the Rom to my nandroid folder on my Droid. Then I booted into system recover and tried to run advanced nandroid restore with various checks [boot img only, cache, system, etc.])

Device Info:

I have a droid 1 running FRG86 (2.2.2). I've flashed the phone to get superuser access by using the MotoCache1 instructions. I've never changed the roms, and quite frankly, don't know how to.

Additional Info:

I've donated to the Peter Alfonso site because I appreciate all the work you and the rest of the developers have done to help me get the most of my phone.

I'm just trying to get this phone to last me a couple more months until the Droid 4 (which i'm sure will just let me down).

Thank you for any help you can provide.
  2. mjones73

mjones73 New Member

You need to open the build.prop file in a text editor and change those lines in it. Do you have Root Explorer on your phone?

Normal Method Done Via Root Explorer
    1. Open "Root Explorer" and mount R/W.
    2. Go to "system" and you will find there is a file name "build.prop".
    3. Right click (By holding at the file) and there is menu pop out.
    4. Scroll down and select edit in Text Editor.
    5. Locate the two lines below and change to match the lines in this post.
    ro.build.description=voles-user 2.2.2 FRG83G 91102 release-keys
    ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2.2/FRG83G/91102:user/release-keys
    6. Save your changes and reboot.

If you don't have file manager, it's worth the price. Most other file apps should let you edit files also.

On a side note, if you just rooted the phone just to say it's rooted and you're not actually using it for anything, I'd unroot it by sbf'ing it back to stock and leave it that way.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  3. dallgood

dallgood New Member

mjones73, Thank you for the instructions.

Currently, my build.prop file matches the name and description:
    ro.build.description=voles-user 2.2.2 FRG83G 91102 release-keys
    ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2.2/FRG83G/91102:user/release-keys

Would I need to change that to 2.2.3 and FRK76 to stop the OTA updates?

I use the root access to run wifi teather. Otherwise, I am (blissfully) happy with the stock ROM.
  4. dallgood

dallgood New Member

and now that I understand how to reach the build.prop, I found a post located here (How To Stop Receiving System Update Notifications - Android Forums) to change it to the most recent release.

The instructions are to

CHANGE:
    ro.build.description=voles-user 2.2.2 FRG83G 91102 release keys
    to
    ro.build.description=voles-user 2.2.3 FRK76 185902 release keys
    and

to
    ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/voles/sholes/sholes:2.2.3/FRK76/185902:user/release-keys
  5. dallgood

dallgood New Member

And finally, the phone no longer asks to upgrade. I am happy with the solution.

But say, how would I upgradeif I actually wanted to use the actual 2.2.3 update? Would I somehow install a Stock Rom on the FRK76 build? Is there a way to just run the update file even if the phone is rooted?
  6. 1linuxfreak

1linuxfreak New Member

Yeah , look on Pete's site , there is a zip of the FRG83G to FRK76 file there , run it in CWM and you should be good to go .
  7. dallgood

dallgood New Member

Holy crap. This stuff is like stupid proof. All I needed to do was install CWM on the droid (ROM Manager by ClockworkMod). Open it, click on the "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery". After that, download any ROM from Downloads and put it on your phone. Open back up ROM Manager and click "Install ROM from SD Card" and find that zip. Bam, updated, still rooted, phone is great. I can't believe how easy it is. If you want a video, watch https://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.rommanager&hl=en.

Thank you for all the help everyone.
  8. mjones73

mjones73 New Member

Rom Manager does make it easy. :)
  9. sxm

sxm New Member

this is the most activity this forum has had in a long time.
  10. dallgood

dallgood New Member

Not many people still holding on to our old droids I guess. Another month or so before the Droid 4 comes out, and that is what i'm waiting to use my upgrade on.
  11. mjones73

mjones73 New Member

Meh, I hardly ever use my keyboard on my D1 now and I don't want another phone with a locked bootloader (spoiled from having root for the past two years on my D1). Getting a Nexus once I get my bonus next week I think.

If you're feeling adventurous, try backing up your current rom and install GPA19 to get your phone running gingerbread. If you don't like it, you can just restore your old image and return your phone to as is.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  12. dallgood

dallgood New Member

I like the way you think. Might try that with my newfound computer skills.
Search tags for this page
2.2.3 rom motorola droid download
cannot upgrade to frk76
custom rom droid 1 voles

droid 1 update

droid frk76
droid frk76 motorola precio
factory unlock motorola droid frk76

frg83g

frk76

frk76 download

frk76 update root