FRG22D update question

Sobe2022

Reaction score
So I just downloaded the FRG22D update onto my Moto Droid and I was expecting to see the official flash player on the market place. For some odd reason it is not there. Can somebody please help me out? Thanks in advance.

OP
S

Sobe2022

Reaction score
I just went into my phone settings and my build number is "FRG01B." Could this be the reason?

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
I just went into my phone settings and my build number is "FRG01B." Could this be the reason?
Yep - sounds like that wasn't the FRG22D update you applied. What was the original filename?

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
OP
S

Sobe2022

Reaction score
Perhaps he has the .zip.zip file name problem.

This was the problem. Thank you. They should specify that you should just rename the file "update" instead of "update.zip," for the computer adds "zip" onto it itself. They got to realize some people don't know a lot about computers and files. Anyway, my phone is updated and I now have the official Flash 10.1. Works great! dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid

Last edited:

LT*

Reaction score

This was the problem. Thank you. They should specify that you should just rename the file "update" instead of "update.zip," for the computer adds "zip" onto it itself. They got to realize some people don't know a lot about computers and files. Anyway, my phone is updated and I now have the official Flash 10.1. Works great! dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid

The problem with that is that not everyone's computer add the extra .zip. So, you'd have a bunch more people with errors running a file called "Update". I've used different computers to rename and transfer, so I've gotten into the habit of checking before running anything.

Insult2Injury

Reaction score

The problem with that is that not everyone's computer add the extra .zip. So, you'd have a bunch more people with errors running a file called "Update". I've used different computers to rename and transfer, so I've gotten into the habit of checking before running anything.

Agreed it all depends on whether or not you have your computer set to show file extensions or not, and most people dont

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
This was the problem. Thank you. They should specify that you should just rename the file "update" instead of "update.zip," for the computer adds "zip" onto it itself. They got to realize some people don't know a lot about computers and files. Anyway, my phone is updated and I now have the official Flash 10.1. Works great!

Agreed it all depends on whether or not you have your computer set to show file extensions or not, and most people dont

In my guides I always try to say this:
If the file shows as "signed-voles-FRG22D-from-FRG01B.688e3520" (no .zip on the end) on your computer, then rename to "update". If it shows as "signed-voles-FRG22D-from-FRG01B.688e3520.zip" (.zip on the end) then rename to "update.zip".
I don't think most other guide-writers are as accommodating of non-technical users who don't understand how their computer handles files.

Another solution would be just to avoid the issue by having people copy files to their phone using ADB instead. Then there is no "renaming".

adb push signed-voles-FRG22D-from-FRG01B.688e3520.zip /sdcard/update.zip
Sure, then there's the extra step of having to install ADB - but that's probably less frustrating that failing repeatedly with no idea what you're doing wrong.

Insult2Injury

Reaction score
Either way people will find a way to mess up. not poking fun at anyone, but we all make stupid mistakes no matter how smart we are, things get overlooked with all the excitment about upgrading your android device!:)

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
Either way people will find a way to mess up. not poking fun at anyone, but we all make stupid mistakes no matter how smart we are, things get overlooked with all the excitment about upgrading your android device!:)
100% true. Anybody that designs things for a living (be it software, hardware or otherwise) has probably said this at one point or another:

Just when you thought you made it idiot proof, they went and made better idiots.
Sometimes I am that idiot - we all get a turn to wear the ID-ten-T hat eventually.

monkey_man

Reaction score
I have rooted frg01B on my droid with P3 800Mhz custom kernel installed. Recently, i have OTA update to FRG22D that has been rumored can't be rooted with exploit and must be done the old school way. I already have and running Flash 10.1 from the net. So...
1. Should I "install now" or "install later"? I know that the ClockworkMod will block it, but Can I re-install FRG22D in the future?
2. I used Universal Androot as my rooting agent, and lets say I un-root my phone and do Clean Wipe Cache and all that. Do my custom kernel automatically revert back to stock? If not revert back, Can I still install FRG22d?

Thanks for your help guys!