Frequent Notification sound + Blinking light, But no Notification! Help!

mattl2

Reaction score
I just got a new Incredible 2 (technically a refurbished warranty replacement from Verizon). I set everything up exactly how I had it on the model I just sent back. However, since I received the new device, I have been experiencing a very annoying problem. Every so often, anywhere from every half hour to every few hours, the phone makes a notification sound (not my default notification sound - a different one) and the LED starts blinking. The phone also does NOT vibrate, which it is set to do, and indeed does for regular notifications. When I turn on the screen there is nothing in the notification bar. And the blinking light does not go away until I pull the bar down.

Again, I set up the phone just like the previous Incredible 2 I had replaced. Any ideas whats going on, or how to fix it? Thanks.

joggy

Reaction score
You're probably going to have to go through your apps and check each for notification settings. Obviously something is triggering a notification, but possibly not set for the status bar. You might initially check each app's notification sound setting first and see if any are set for the sound you make note of.

bmetelsky

Reaction score
I just got a new Incredible 2 (technically a refurbished warranty replacement from Verizon). I set everything up exactly how I had it on the model I just sent back. However, since I received the new device, I have been experiencing a very annoying problem. Every so often, anywhere from every half hour to every few hours, the phone makes a notification sound (not my default notification sound - a different one) and the LED starts blinking. The phone also does NOT vibrate, which it is set to do, and indeed does for regular notifications. When I turn on the screen there is nothing in the notification bar. And the blinking light does not go away until I pull the bar down.

Again, I set up the phone just like the previous Incredible 2 I had replaced. Any ideas whats going on, or how to fix it? Thanks.

I would suggest a battery pull to see if it's just a quirk. Then I would start checking installed apps.

sjpritch25

Reaction score

Do you use friendstream? If so, I would check notifications and see if they are enabled for twitter a/o facebook.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Or maybe the yahoo mail app off the market. I'd get a random noise with no notification and a random blinking light that decided when it wanted to blink.

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Did you figure it out?

OP
M

mattl2

Reaction score
Yes! I did figure it out. After much trial and error, I figured out that it was in fact the Yahoo mail app making the notifications. HOWEVER... In the app's settings, there are only options to enable/disable sound, vibration, and status bar notification. No option for the LED. So, the LED continues to blink when I get a new message. How very frustrating....

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I'm glad you figured it out. And yes, I hate the LED, also. It apparently does that because the Yahoo! App can't connect to the Yahoo! servers. May I ask your reason for using the market app and not the local (already installed) app?

OP
M

mattl2

Reaction score
I'm glad you figured it out. And yes, I hate the LED, also. It apparently does that because the Yahoo! App can't connect to the Yahoo! servers. May I ask your reason for using the market app and not the local (already installed) app?

I did try the HTC default mail app for a little while, but it does not "sync" with Yahoo. Once the account is linked, and old emails are imported, the pre-installed app works completely independently from my Yahoo mail account. So if I were to save an email draft on my computer to work on later, I could not work on it from my phone. Or if I send an email from my phone, then later log into my email on a computer, it would not be in the sent folder. This was all WAY too inconvenient to continue using that app, so I just decided it would be much easier to use the Yahoo Mail official app.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I did try the HTC default mail app for a little while, but it does not "sync" with Yahoo. Once the account is linked, and old emails are imported, the pre-installed app works completely independently from my Yahoo mail account. So if I were to save an email draft on my computer to work on later, I could not work on it from my phone. Or if I send an email from my phone, then later log into my email on a computer, it would not be in the sent folder. This was all WAY too inconvenient to continue using that app, so I just decided it would be much easier to use the Yahoo Mail official app.

Oh, ok. That's understandable.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I'm not sure how to get it working correctly for you, unfortunately.