Frequent caller list

JayMonster

Reaction score
Update last night! Lots of cool stuff...transitions smooth as a baby's bottom. But NO FAVORITES CLEARENCE!! WTF? Why is there not more of an uproar over this?

Because for most people, unless you are trying to hide something from snooping eyes it isn't really that big a deal?

Personally I had forgotten that it was even there (and I suspect others never even noticed it) until you brought it up. It is simply a statistic based on your call history. Not much of a reason for an "uproar" (as always, in my not so humble opinion, anyway).

Viktor Vaughn

Reaction score
Update last night! Lots of cool stuff...transitions smooth as a baby's bottom. But NO FAVORITES CLEARENCE!! WTF? Why is there not more of an uproar over this?

Because for most people, unless you are trying to hide something from snooping eyes it isn't really that big a deal?

Personally I had forgotten that it was even there (and I suspect others never even noticed it) until you brought it up. It is simply a statistic based on your call history. Not much of a reason for an "uproar" (as always, in my not so humble opinion, anyway).

K, uproar was an attempt at hyperbole. But I honestly just want to clear it for times when I am showing off, or people ask to use it. Nothing to "hide" just like to keep some of my business private.
But I guess you are right (sigh)

rlb

Reaction score
bump. I'd like to clear this as well. Some asshole at work has my personal cell number and keeps calling it instead of my desk. Every time I go to my favorite contacts, asshole is right there below them. Thinking of this person literraly makes me angry. Some of us have nohing to hide, just social issues :D deleted the contact and re-added it for now but there must be a better way

LordKastle

Reaction score
From a privacy stand point I can see how this borders on insanity.

Even though I have never ran in to any issues with it...I can understand the questionable nature behind some of the warranted objections to this.

mbooty

Reaction score
The response "What do you have to hide" is a bit simplistic. What's annoying about this goes beyond people here debating personal preference related to privacy. It's a core issue of software design. ANY list or data set that the phone creates on the fly should have a function to clear it out. It's just basic good software design. Look at all the other options to clear browser cache, clear location, clear call log, etc. This is clearly a BUG and an oversight that QA missed, an it's insulting to have it sold as a "feature".

Why on the Droid does most of the stuff supplied by Google -- search, maps, gmail sync -- seem to be well designed and why does the stuff written by Motorola -- the camera interface, the laughable auto-focus, anything related to the menus and buttons used when making a phone call -- seem to be slapped together by five guys in some third-world country making $10 and hour?

mbooty

Reaction score
>> It is simply a statistic based on your call history.

Right. And your browser cache and browser history is "just a statistic based on your browsing history" and the call log is "just a statistic based on what calls you made" and the GPS location tracking is "just a statistic based on where you've been".

Basic software design: ANY list or data set that the phone creates dynamically or on the fly should have an option to reset it or clear it. Period.

redlinerobert

Reaction score
I need this solution as well. you should be able to clear individuals from the favorite list without deleting them as contacts.

amajamar

Reaction score
I'm on-board with this as well. Seems illogical to me and should be fairly simple to implement. Maybe that will be a selling point of the Droid 2.

Droids

Reaction score
Read about an app that was developed to add functions to the call log, including deleting the call log and frequently called list. Unfortunately it requires the phone to be rooted to use.

Has anyone using the 2.1 rom checked to see if Google has fixed this omission?

All logs should have the option to clear them, kinda odd that Google overlooked this.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
It wont ever clear, but as you go forwards it will change. . . Not a big deal to me, most called contacts are a nice shortcut in a pinch IMO.

xaliengodx

Reaction score
I figured out a way

here is what I did:
In my GMAIL on the web, everyone that I did not want on my main contacts, I added to a new group called "go away". Then (very important) I also removed those contacts from the group "My Contacts".

Then, I made sure my phone had synced the change, and then went into contacts, and under contacts, clicked "Display Options" Then clicked on "choose contacts to display", then scrolled down, and made sure the "go away"
system group was unchecked (while still having "My Contacts" checked.)

Then the contact is removed from your favorites. It's also removed from your contacts. The cool thing is, if the person calls, it will still display their name. I just tested it. So, this is REALLY cool, because it's like having hidden contacts. Talk about privacy options. GO ANDROID! Please post replies if you have any issues, questions :)

Last edited:

Viktor Vaughn

Reaction score
"Hey is that a Droid?"
"yeah"
"How do you like it?"
"It's awesome!"
"Can I check it out?..."
(minutes later)
"Dude, why is Janet from accounting on your "favorites" list?"
"Well,......"

davidbehrns

Reaction score
I would like the ability to remove these entries too. When I first got the phone I called a bunch of people to give them my new number... A favorites list is useless when everyone in contacts is in it.

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
here is what I did:
In my GMAIL on the web, everyone that I did not want on my main contacts, I added to a new group called "go away". Then (very important) I also removed those contacts from the group "My Contacts".

Then, I made sure my phone had synced the change, and then went into contacts, and under contacts, clicked "Display Options" Then clicked on "choose contacts to display", then scrolled down, and made sure the "go away"
system group was unchecked (while still having "My Contacts" checked.)

Then the contact is removed from your favorites. It's also removed from your contacts. The cool thing is, if the person calls, it will still display their name. I just tested it. So, this is REALLY cool, because it's like having hidden contacts. Talk about privacy options. GO ANDROID! Please post replies if you have any issues, questions :)

i did this, however, i need to send call to VM and silence all txts.. so still looking for options.