FREE Wi-Fi calling coming to Verizon on July 25!!

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
I haven't heard anything recently, I would have thought VZW would've announced it already. Though there making a killing off of the network extenders. I just bought one and am pretty dissatisfied with it, they must work for some just not for me. It is absolutely no help at all.
I hope WIFI calling comes soon.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm not sure how those things work, but if they're anything like WiFi repeaters, they need signal to extend. If you get NO signal, there's not much it can extend. I could be totally wrong about how they work. I'm sure they've got stronger antennas than they put in these phones, but they can only do so much.

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I'm not sure how those things work, but if they're anything like WiFi repeaters, they need signal to extend. If you get NO signal, there's not much it can extend. I could be totally wrong about how they work. I'm sure they've got stronger antennas than they put in these phones, but they can only do so much.
The way they work is they take the cellular signal from the phone and convert it into a digital voice over IP signal basically which would be data, and then send the data over the clients Ethernet or home internet carrier. So what they are essentially is a cellular to data bridge. They do not need a cellular signal from a local tower to operate since they do all of their communications from the phone and to the phone via its own cellular connection, and all communications from it to the Verizon network and other phones via the Internet. Wifi calling will eliminate the need for these devices so the point was well taken that with wifi calling these devices would no longer be necessary.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure how well it'll work on Verizon but on T-Mobile all I needed was a half decent Wi-Fi signal that was at least 2Mb fast and it was as clean as their network calls. Basically inside of any building that had a Wi-Fi signal that I could connect to I never had to worry whether I had gsm or not. It's basically switches network calls to voip calls.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Not sure how well it'll work on Verizon but on T-Mobile all I needed was a half decent Wi-Fi signal that was at least 2Mb fast and it was as clean as their network calls. Basically inside of any building that had a Wi-Fi signal that I could connect to I never had to worry whether I had gsm or not. It's basically switches network calls to voip calls.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
I get how WiFi calling works. I was talking about vzw's network extenders. Ha

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I get how WiFi calling works. I was talking about vzw's network extenders. Ha
When they suggested I go that route and said they were sending me one for free it never showed up. I called and asked where it was, they said they'd decided not to follow through because it wasn't going to help. This was during the time they shut cells down in my area and said they weren't going to add anything back, which ended up with me leaving them.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I'd be interested in a poll that shows our members minute usage on average. I can understand folks that live in a fringe area that want a better overall connection. Aside from that, does everyone else want it because they are going over their current plans? I've got a 450 min plan, I'm currently 24 days into my billing cycle and I've used 71 min. My SO has 900 min and she's used 112 min. Granted, some months we "may" use 2 or 3 times that, but we've never come close to going over.
Now I can understand if you use your device for work, but I imagine the average user in this case already has a work phone, or they have a land line for work related calls. (Or you have teenagers at home, but even they text more often than not these days)
I guess I'm just surprised so many people are interested in WiFi calling. I think it would be an interesting poll.

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'd be interested in a poll that shows our members minute usage on average. I can understand folks that live in a fringe area that want a better overall connection. Aside from that, does everyone else want it because they are going over their current plans? I've got a 450 min plan, I'm currently 24 days into my billing cycle and I've used 71 min. My SO has 900 min and she's used 112 min. Granted, some months we "may" use 2 or 3 times that, but we've never come close to going over.
Now I can understand if you use your device for work, but I imagine the average user in this case already has a work phone, or they have a land line for work related calls. (Or you have teenagers at home, but even they text more often than not these days)
I guess I'm just surprised so many people are interested in WiFi calling. I think it would be an interesting poll.

S5 tap'n

Don't say I never did anything for you.
On average how many minutes do you use each month Android Forum at DroidForums.net

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Thanks Jonny, I appreciate it! (as you can see by my 37 "likes" ) Bwahahaha!

S5 tap'n

Hey! Unfair! LOL! :D:D:D

Reactions: cr6

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Does anyone know if this has actually happened yet? It's 2 days after the supposed launch date and I haven't seen anything from Big Red announcing it...

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Thanks...I see that's the same link that FoxKat posted, and that's from September 2014. In doing some searches on Google, there doesn't appear to be anything from even this month regarding this issue.