Free Ram on DROID?

grimloktt

Reaction score
I have anywhere from 40-50mb of free RAM at a time. Is this bad or good?

Darkseider

Reaction score
Not bad at all. If you would like to know how Android manages memory better here is an explanation. If you go to Settings ---> Applications ---> Running Services, there are numbers along the bottom. Here is the explanation of those numbers.

Finally, along the bottom of the screen are some obscure numbers. If you know how to interpret them, this gives you a lot of information on the memory status of your device:

* Avail: 38MB+114MB in 25 says that the device has 38MB of completely free (or likely used for unrequired caches) memory, and has another 114MB of available memory in 25 background processes it can kill at any time.
• Other: 32MB in 3 says that the device has 32MB of unavailable memory in 3 unkillable processes (that is, processes that are currently considered to be foreground and must be kept running)

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have anywhere from 40-50mb of free RAM at a time. Is this bad or good?

You're fine. If you look at the size of the apps you have in memory, even the largest are only 4-5 mg in size. If you have 40-50mb free, the o/s can start anything it needs to run without swapping out running apps.

Big Cam

Reaction score
If you want to free up memory, you can always clear the cache from your apps.

Click on settings > applications > manage applications > filter > All > then clear cache, big cache users that arent on the regular list are the browser and youtube.

I cleared all my cahce after a few weeks and I freed up 35mb.

OP
G

grimloktt

Reaction score
Is there anything that'll keep certain things from autostarting? I tried Startup Auditor and it didn't work...

jlnguyen

Reaction score
Not bad at all. If you would like to know how Android manages memory better here is an explanation. If you go to Settings ---> Applications ---> Running Services, there are numbers along the bottom. Here is the explanation of those numbers.

Finally, along the bottom of the screen are some obscure numbers. If you know how to interpret them, this gives you a lot of information on the memory status of your device:

* Avail: 38MB+114MB in 25 says that the device has 38MB of completely free (or likely used for unrequired caches) memory, and has another 114MB of available memory in 25 background processes it can kill at any time.
• Other: 32MB in 3 says that the device has 32MB of unavailable memory in 3 unkillable processes (that is, processes that are currently considered to be foreground and must be kept running)

i have 17 free :icon_ cry:

Darkseider

Reaction score

i have 17 free :icon_ cry:

Yes 17 free but how many in background processes that can be killed?

sparx1

Reaction score
If you want to free up memory, you can always clear the cache from your apps.

Click on settings > applications > manage applications > filter > All > then clear cache, big cache users that arent on the regular list are the browser and youtube.

I cleared all my cahce after a few weeks and I freed up 35mb.

Sounds good and appreciate the advice, but when I hit manage apps, I do not get a choice for FILTER

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Is there anything that'll keep certain things from autostarting? I tried Startup Auditor and it didn't work...

You can root and freeze apps...but it's really not needed.