Free ram in SS5.2

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by buckmarble, Apr 10, 2011.

1. buckmarble

buckmarble Developer Theme Developer Developer

I discovered something interesting and wanted to share. I was running compcache and was averaging 30-40 mb of free ram. Just for kicks and giggles, I disabled compcache. Much to my surprise I am now averaging 60-70 mb free. Sometimes more. Here are some screenies to share.
  2. DaxxTrias

DaxxTrias New Member

I find this news very strange, Whenever I have checked I have always had more listed free (According to SystemPanel / Advanced Task Killer) than without it.

Just using the default, I'm seeing an average of 50-80 free after an hour of being idle without any use of any kind.

If I turn it off I see 30-50
  3. buckmarble

buckmarble Developer Theme Developer Developer

That's why I wanted to share. I anticipated that the amount free would drop as a result of disabling compcache but as you see I had the opposite happen.
  4. RoyR80

RoyR80 New Member

I've noticed this as well. With compcache disabled, my ram is consistently higher, and my fone runs much smoother. :-/
  5. s0m3f00l

s0m3f00l New Member

As I understand it... You see better returns as you get better processor's. Since we have the old DROID1... We probably wont see much benefit. BUT once chevy does the HTC TB I will look into Compcache again.
  6. XxReVxX

XxReVxX New Member

im finding the exact opposite. disabled it and was getting about 30 free. re enabled it and i have way more free. i actually bumped it to 26% and my phone is super fast now
  7. DaninFuchs

DaninFuchs New Member

My understanding to the "free space" issues is that compcache is a cache block - not to be confused with Ram. Compcache is a block of Ram dedicated to caching in a compressed manner. If your speed issue is data transfer rates from IO loads, you should see an improvement with Compcache. If your bottleneck is with processor speed, compcache will hurt you slightly.

Example; Phone A's CPU is set to run 250- 800mhz, phone B runs 500-1100mhz. Both phones have the same Ram. Phone A will likely see a drop in performance with compcache, Phone B will see an improvement at times.

Also, it does not register as Ram per se, so some apps might not see it. These phones weren't designed to have dedicated swap/'pagefile' memory, just their Ram. As such, some apps likely fail to check it. In Linux (which the OS is based on) the 'free' command shows separately, Physical and Swap. Compcache should (verify?) show as Swap.

Any results posted further on the matter, to help us narrow down the source of the difference, please note which app you used to check free ram, and please try to use another option someone else mentioned (if it's free) - also, post your CPU speeds (min/max/governor) if you know them, if not please at least mention which kernel you use. If you're not sure, mention default kernel, and what version of SS you use. Hopefully we see a pattern, and hopefully this information helped. ;)
  8. XxReVxX

XxReVxX New Member

"Example; Phone A's CPU is set to run 250- 800mhz, phone B runs 500-1100mhz. Both phones have the same Ram. Phone A will likely see a drop in performance with compcache, Phone B will see an improvement at times."

that is exactly how mine is set up (phone b) and it makes sens why i see an improvement