Free or inexpensive VoIP calling over Wi-Fi

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by frankenfurter, Apr 2, 2010.

1. frankenfurter

frankenfurter New Member

I've spent the past 90 minutes reading a bunch of threads about making free calls using Android-based phones connected to a Wi-Fi network. As if the configuration process isn't hard enough (there are *lots* of people who report they are unable to get it to work seamlessly), setup is even more difficult given how hard it is to get Google Voice and Gizmo5 accounts.

I'm wondering if anyone knows a way around this quagmire. While what I'm looking for would ideally be free over my home Wi-Fi network, I'm willing to pay a small amount, say $5 or $10 a month *if* there's no lag and *if* the setup is easy.

I saw a thread (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/29517-wingbee-pro-new-app-making-voip-calls.html) extolling the virtues of a service called WingBee. Does anyone else have experience with it?

Or maybe there's a different service? I've heard a few people mention Fring, but the consensus seems to be that the lag is too severe for the service to be worthwhile. Any thoughts about that?

I have to think that in 2010, there has to be a way to be a relatively painless and inexpensive way to route calls through your own private Wi-Fi network using your own smartphone. Does anybody know?
  2. Newps

Newps Member

I use Fring and input my Skype account. Works great.
Search tags for this page

best cheap voip call wifi

best voip forum

best voip over wifi

free voip on droid dna
free voip over wifi android
private voip calls over wifi
wifi voip free