Free Memory?

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by MaCe, Aug 20, 2010.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. MaCe

MaCe Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Whats everyones avg free memory avail??? I came from BB and always had around 50mb or so .. for some reason now with SS 4.7 im runnin at 22mb ? any ideas ? Im running the same widgets i had with BB
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Most of us don't worry about memory as Droid does a good job of handling it on it's own. Just out of curiosity are you running a task killer? If you aren't I'm not recommending that you should.
  3. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Are you running the stock launcher? If not - have you deleted the stock launcher?

Also - pretty sure BB has a more agressive taskkiller - which means more free memory, but sometimes lags because apps have to reopen because they've been killed ...
  4. MaCe

MaCe Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ya i have advanced task killer .. and ya chevy i deleted the stock launcher using ur tools , i only noticed because it was getting real laggy all of a sudden and when i opened up task killer it said i had 22 avail .. i'll play around with it and get back to you guys im sure im overlooking something appreciate the quick replys!
  5. ChevyNo1

Ratings:
    +5
    U bet! - Also, you can try the task killer under my scripts - see if that makes a difference
  6. jasonppp

jasonppp Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +1
    advance task killer hasnt worked right since bb 1.1 i prefer advance task manage kills more items and has an awesome exclusions list. and great auto kill settings.
    [​IMG]
    this is just my opinion from me watching what my phone is doing but again like task killer was only was good in eclair days. but the memory manager in froyo sucks and i will keep my advance task manager.

i think froyo is a memory hog ie...
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    all these apps reopened within seconds of closing them minus the excluded
    {EXCLUDED}
    temp monitor
    setcpu
    beautiful widgets
    shootme
    adw launcher
    swype
    system info widget
    {EXCLUDED}
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  7. sranger

sranger Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The way I see it:

Do you want your memory sitting around waiting to be used or do you want it to be use to cache more thing to make the phone faster.....

Remember unused memory is doing nothing useful...
  8. ChevyNo1

Ratings:
    +5
    Well said - which is why if anything, my ROM (as designed) is under-agressive on these settings.
  9. Taegost

Taegost Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, from what I understand the OS will try to fill memory so it'll be available when needed. BB is set up to "always" have at least 50M free, whereas other ROMs just let the OS handle memory management.
    When your phone starts to lag... How long has it been since your last reboot? :)
  10. Porterhouse0

Porterhouse0 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well now im second guessing my free memory method...i use "auto killer"....i have it set on "aggressive"...can i please have some feedback on if this is a good app or not? and if so, is aggressive the correct preset i want it set on...it doesnt matter to me if it takes .8 seconds to open an app rather than .5 seconds lol what i care about is if i pull down my notification bar and it jumps or lags....or of course the lag scrolling in between homescreens.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  11. ChevyNo1

Ratings:
    +5
    I think some of that is very subjective ... therefore, I suggest you try both agressive and default, and see what seems to feel best to you ... that's what I do.
  12. devator22

devator22 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Chevy:
    How is your task killer different from others? I stopped using one when I moved to SS 4.6, and it ran very smoothly. So what is the advantage to using yours?
    As an aside, I use MinFreeManager because I heard it helped a lot, in conjunction with autostarts. MFM I had on default normal settings, and with autostarts I stopped a lot of the processes I never use. It seemed to alleviate the majority of my lag and redraw issues (using ADW). However, when I upgraded to 4.7 (with no wipe), the lag is back, and it's worse, much worse. My homescreen takes ages to redraw, even though I have it set to persist. Everything else is the same. I deleted Launcher2, which at first seemed to make it a little better, but I think it may even be worse now. It gets better after a reboot, but after about an hour, even if I just leave it with the screen off, the lag comes back, and it gets worse the longer I have it on. I tried your task manager, but it didn't seem to make a difference.
  13. ChevyNo1

Ratings:
    +5
    In your case I would suggest a wipe then - you should not be seeing these issues with 4.7, especially with ADW.

My task killer - essentially it runs csm - check my forum for what that is and how it is used. It basically does what autostarts does ... which is why you might not have noticed a difference. In addition, it only targets specific apps. The thread on csm will explain better.
  14. jasonppp

jasonppp Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +1
    I was having the same issues devator22 is having until i set advanced task manager to kill everything every 30 minutes. i believe froyo is a memory hog. As shown in the pics in my earlier post everything opens at once even things i dont use. Which to me seems to be a waste of resources. It would be a different story if the android os noticed my behaviour and kept applications i used in cache it prolly wouldnt be such a big deal.

I am a gamer and in my experience it is better to have free memory then used memory that allocates free space. and i am not talking cheesy games like solitare and spades. i am tallking hl2dm, css, garrysmod, portal, bioshock, tf2 and so on.

considering the droid only has 256mb and only having 30mb free is an issue not with just this rom every rom i put on that is froyo acts like this. chevy your rom seems to smooth out better then the rest right now. But it still uses more memory then it should.

I will once again emphasize that advance task manager is a very nice program and shows alot more then the built in running apps or even advance task killer. some of the many perks to it auto kill feature with exclusion's and in my earlier post i showed my excluded list

i tried your task killer didnt seem to have same affect if any as far as freeing up memory. It might have killed an app or three but not enough to get me out of the lag threshold. I did read somewhere that froyo changed how aspect of task manager/killers work ie.... they will kill the main app but dont kill the sub processes attached to the app and that is why so many aren't that effective. and advance task manager gives you the option to kill the sub processes.

One of my favorite app/widget is system info widget shows all readings on home screen. I encourage everyone to get this paid app maybe we can get more info to resolve this issue if possible.
  15. devator22

devator22 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Darn, I was hoping to avoid a wipe. Oh well. Is it possible that adw might be the problem? Could using launcher2 reduce the lag at all?
    Even typing this reply with my droid was painful, as there was at least a five second lag between when i typed and it registered. I noticed that as my battery drains and setcpu scales back the processor, it slows down quite a bit. Now, i would expect it to slow down some, but I never have it go below 550, which is the stock standard, right? So it shouldn't be that big of a problem. I recently changed to your 1ghz lv kernel, from the 1.25ghz ulv kernel, which fixed all my fc and random crash issues, but now I have all this lag. Maybe a higher voltage kernel would help? or I could underclock it less. Meh, I might as well do a wipe and reinstall.
    sorry for the rambling post. Your famous quick replies are appreciated!