1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Free Icons that don't require home launcher download?

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by spydergirl, Dec 27, 2010.

1. spydergirl

spydergirl New Member

I'm currently using Launcher Pro and like it the best, but there aren't really good choices for app icons without downloading whole themes or using another homescreen launcher app.

Is there a way to just download more free icons to be able to have more variety / choice that you can use with ANY home screen app?

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App
  2. shmoo

shmoo New Member

Are you talking about app icons or dock bar icons. Just do a search on either here or xda for icon packs and then use better cut to interchange them. As for dock bar icons, try the LP forums. There are gobs of em over there.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  3. travisn000

travisn000 New Member

4. spydergirl

spydergirl New Member

Well, I guess icons for BOTH the apps and dock bar. :) Thanks for the tips and thanks to the next poster for the help as well. I'm off to go "icon-shopping." :)
  5. Bilgediver

Bilgediver New Member

ADW launcher doesn't require a separate app, it has a builtin feature of adding custom shortcuts, or changing the icon on the fly.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App
  6. spydergirl

spydergirl New Member

Ok, so the LP icon grid is ok, but not exactly what I wanted. I don't like the black/white/grey drawing-style of the images. I like some of the colorful designs and images used in some of the zillions of themes available, but you have to download the theme AND/or also use a particular home-launcher to be able to use the particular icons and themes. I like LP, but I don't like their icons.

I guess I am looking for a way to find a free source of varied icons from many different sources that maybe I have to upload or download to my gallery(?) and use the different images for various different desktop icons. If that makes sense?

Thanks again for the awesome help. :)
  7. shmoo

shmoo New Member

Again I would suggest using bettercut. You could also use desktop visualizer and createyour own. Search up the pictures of peoples droid desktops thread. There skads of icons in there and if you ask a lot of times thereeithr alreadyis a dl link to them or you can ask for one.
  8. spydergirl

spydergirl New Member

Yes, I tried ADW launcher, but didn't really like it. I did see all their icons (many of which I really liked), but I prefer LP better for my launcher/homescreen preferences. I just can't figure out how to find cool icons like those used on ADW (and others) that don't require either the launcher download and/or a separate pack download that "requires a particular launcher, etc. etc. etc."

Can't I just find a place to download icon images and set them for my various apps? I was thrilled to finally find a wallpaper/background app called simply "colors" so I could select SOLID background wallpaper colors for my desktop. I'm trying to find the same easy option for icons, but it doesn't seem to exist. :(
  9. mcatdtDroid

mcatdtDroid New Member

I just created a folder in my pictures folder and named it icons. I then just google searched icons. I have themed icons, even generic icons. They are usually in zip files I drag and drop them to the correct folder while I'm hooked up to my computer.

I use desktop visualizer to the substitute in whatever icons I want

Sent from my Droid 2 while driving.
  10. Bilgediver

Bilgediver New Member

There are lots of them at places like droid-den

11. spydergirl

spydergirl New Member

How do I find icons on the Droid-Den site? I'm lookin,' but just not seeing it. Thanks. :)
  12. MattyP

MattyP Rescue Squad

I use Desktop Visualizer, and I have made a few of my own custom icons. DV will let you use any image as an icon, a photo or custom made icons like I made :)
  13. Beka27

Beka27 New Member

I'm kind of having the same issue. I use LPP (with 3 docks), and I just came across those awesome Buuf icons today in the "screenshot" thread. I was able to download icons from DeviantArt, unzip them, and then transfer the ones I wanted to my picture gallery, but for the rest of the ones I need, you have to DL the icon packs. So I did that, but then I had to purchase Better Cut to use them. Fine, I bought that app. Now I'm trying to put the icons on my LP DOCK, and I can't. I can only make regular screen shortcuts with them.

Anyway to add these pics to the dock, when I try to change icon on the dock, all it does is take me to my gallery, NOT icon packs. Can I somehow save these icons to my gallery?

ETA: I also have desktop visualizer, but same issue... it won't let me adjust the icons on my scrolling dock, only on my actual screen.
  14. MattyP

MattyP Rescue Squad

When you say it won't let you "adjust" them on your scrolling dock, do you mean the size? Or just adding them to your dock? You should be able to drag and drop them to the dock, but it wont let you adjust the size on the dock. :)
  15. Beka27

Beka27 New Member

No, I worded that wrong. It will not allow me to change, let's say the text message icon, in my dock from my white LP icon to a Buuf icon from the DLed icon pack. I can put an icon on the regular display, but not on my dock. If I drag the icon to my dock, it just pops up with my trashcan and my dock disappears.
  16. solar

solar New Member

+1 on Mattyp's suggestion.

I've never used Better Cut, but Desktop Visualizer is really easy to use and you don't need any launcher for the standard icons. I have launcher pro and use desktop visualizer though.
  17. MattyP

MattyP Rescue Squad

OK I dont use LP, but I use ADW Launcher. I can drag and drop an icon from the screen to the dock, and it will even replace one that is already in that spot. This is just a suggestion, I'm not 100% sure it will work, but you might want to try going into your LP settings and set the dock for one icon, should be the app drawer icon. Then go to your home screen, then go back into your LP settings and set it for however many icons you use for the dock. Then drag and drop the new icons into the blank spaces. If they are not blank afterwards, then LP must use "default" icons for the dockbar. As I said it's just a suggestion, not sure it will work or not. But my ADW Launcher would do that, so that's why I'm suggesting it. ;)
  18. Bilgediver

Bilgediver New Member

I apologize, I've only discovered the text based icon creator at droid den, haven't seen any graphical icons there though.

19. Beka27

Beka27 New Member

No that doesn't work. I longpress on a dock space and it brings up the option to either 1) change shortcut, 2) change icon, or 3) add a "swipe gesture" action.

I press "change icon" but it takes me to my gallery and doesn't give me the option to browse thru an icon pack.

Does anyone with Launcher Pro (Plus) know how I can change this? I might have accidentally set "gallery" as default without realizing it, but I don't remember.

EDIT: Nevermind, I started a thread which is a little more specific to my question. Hopefully someone will be able to help. ;o)
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
Search tags for this page

best go launcher icon set download

best icon packs for android

desktop dock droid den