1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Free applications that become paid?

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by Royal2000H, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Royal2000H

Royal2000H New Member

According to the Market help pages, once you download a paid app, it ties to your account and you can redownload it for free. It shows up in your downloads list where you can install it again if you uninstalled it. Whereas, free apps don't show up on your account downloads page once you uninstall them.

In the apple app store, once you get an app, free or paid, it's in your account. So if it ever becomes paid (and you got it free) you still keep the app, even if you uninstalled it before.

How does the android market work?
    If you get a free app, can you keep it if it becomes paid?
    If you get a free app, uninstall it, then it becomes paid, can you download it for free?
  2. 640k

640k New Member

why would you think a previously free app would still be freee after it becomes pay??? i'd be willing to be the apple store doesn't even follow that philosophy. just because it shows up in your list of apps that you've downloaded, doesn't mean that because it was once free, that it should be free forever.
  3. Royal2000H

Royal2000H New Member

You may be willing to bet... but be glad that you didn't actually bet. If you get a free app, it's still an app that you purchased, for the price of free. If the app becomes paid, it doesn't matter, you still own a copy of the app. You can even uninstall it and download it again, the app is tied to your account. This is on the apple app store. So I'm wondering how it is on the Google Market

Just like if you buy an app for $1 and it becomes $3, you don't suddenly pay another $2 to keep the app.
  4. 640k

640k New Member

that's bs. if a developer releases a major update to a popular app that revolutionalizes the way the app is used (extreme example) and they start charging $5 for it, they'd make no revenue.
  5. Royal2000H

Royal2000H New Member

It's not bs at all. If you buy a video game, say counter strike, and they release an update, it's free. If the update is revolutionary, then they make a separate game: counter strike source.

If a dev wants to release an extremely revolutionary update, they should make a new app.

Lots of devs on the app store give apps for free for a limited time in order to gain publicity for the app. Reviews and word of mouth help sell the app.
  6. Dragoro

Dragoro New Member

Uhh the keyword is Buy.

"If you buy a video game"

So sick of people thinking they are entitiled.
  7. Magdroid

Magdroid New Member

Funny, when "World of Warcraft" came out with Burning Crusade, then Wraith of the Litch King..I sure remember paying $40.00 for each. Even though I paid for World of Warcraft, those updates weren't "free".
  8. Royal2000H

Royal2000H New Member

So sick of people who push their beliefs on other people and don't accept other views.
    Have you guys ever heard of something in this world called marketing?
    I mean most people have, but sounds like you guys haven't. Maybe when someone tried telling you about the principles of marketing, you guys were rude and closed minded. Companies do something called promotional giveaways. Apple allows for this. I'm asking if Google does too.
    Also, many times a dev will release something for free and after seeing the popularity, he decides to charge. You don't think the people that led to the popularity deserve to keep the app?

Either way, look at my original post. I'm not asking for your opinion on how business should be conducted, because really, based on your comments, I don't respect your opinion on how it should be conducted. So let's get back on topic: how does market function? (Not: what is your opinion on how it should function?)
  9. Royal2000H

Royal2000H New Member

Right... those are expansions (or "revolutionary" updates). Ie can be released as a separate app on the market. But I'm sure you got bug fixes for free..
  10. 640k

640k New Member

if that were the case, a smart dev would remove the first/free/trial app from the market (either) and force you to find it and re-download it.

either way you lose.
  11. ScoobyDoo27

ScoobyDoo27 New Member

Wow you people like to argue over the dumbest things. I think Royal is right about the Apple app store and his logic makes sense.

I'm not a 100% sure on the Google Market but I believe that only the paid apps are tied to your account so if a free app is changed down the road to $1 and you have uninstalled it I think you'll have to buy it.
  12. 640k

640k New Member

that isn't how the real-world works. just because you got something for free the frist time, doesn't mean you're entitled to it being free forever. development is time-demanding work. devs have to PAY to join the marketplace and get nothing in return.

so to answer your original question, if you downloaded a free app and it now costs to download that app, you will no longer be able to download that app unless you pay for it.
  13. Royal2000H

Royal2000H New Member

Well lots of devs leave a free version and make a paid version with more functionality. So a "smart dev" could do that too in order to promote the paid app. Also if the dev only wants only one app, when changing from free to paid, the dev might not want to lose the fact that it says "200,000 downloads" and the 1000's 5-star ratings (for example).
  14. Royal2000H

Royal2000H New Member

This is how the real world works. I didn't invent marketing in my fantasy land of Roy. I am explaining what I see in the real world...

Now that last sentence is on topic, thank you. But are you saying that out of knowledge or assumption/belief/"logic"?
  15. 640k

640k New Member

it's fact.
  16. Royal2000H

Royal2000H New Member

Thanks for your response.
    The question remains for whether it's still installed, can you keep it? If so, then, if an update comes out, will you be required to pay?

@dragoro: really??? Bringing politics into this, that's really on topic...
  17. JonKyu

JonKyu Beta Team

Jesus... I don't get what the deal is here stop flaming people. Going back to the point of this whole thread...Just so you all know, what royal said about Apple's market system is true. I can't think of the number of times I thought "Thanks god I got it when it was free..." I have a lot of apps for my iPod Touch.

I've seen a lot of apps go on-sale in the android market like Docs 2 go. They had a half-off sale and I think they're having a christmas sale. I haven't heard anyone complain about having to pay full price again. But I'm not sure about apps that are free. I think most developers will just add an additional Paid-app in stead of replacing the free one. But according to what google states it does seem that an app that was once free but is now paid, that you would have to buy it again. but I think if it's still installed I don't think you would have to pay again. If you do find an answer let-us know because this is an interesting valid question...

I think to get real answer you should try asking google themselves. Although I can't guarantee they'll answer as they're support forums are kinda iffy sometimes.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
Search tags for this page

can a free app suddenly become a paid app?

date when paid apps become free

free apps become paid apps

paid android apps become free

what happrns when paid apps become free