Free APKs for everyone...

Discussion in 'Steel Droid' started by chevycam94, Aug 10, 2010.

1. chevycam94

chevycam94 Steel Droid ROM Developer Developer

I know I dont post much with anything but questions, so now I think its time I posted something useful. Many people are looking for a functional version of the Google Maps, or SetCPU, or something like that. Below is a list of the programs that I use, that I think others would find very helpful. These are links to the actual site, so you can always check for the latest versions. The version numbers posted, are the latest versions of each app, as of the time of this posting. I will try to keep this list updated as much as I can.

Please also note that the Wired Tether and Wireless Tether apps DONT require an additional subscription from your carrier. The built-in tether function in 2.2 DOES require one, so please use the free tether apps below!

Another note. Please consider donating to the SetCPU developer. As it may be free from his website, I feel the app IS worth the money. At least make a donation if you can, its only fair.

SetCPU 2.2.4
    Be aware, this is avaliable in two ways. One is from the market, which is a paid app, and the other is from the link below, from the devs website. The dev allows people to obtain the app both ways, but I would prefer you support the dev if you can. This app allows you to set your phones CPU to whatever speed you want, and change the way the phone speeds up and slows down.
    SetCPU for Root Users

SuperUser 3.0.3.2
    This is the application that allows apps and files to have root access upon request. If your rooted, you have this, and should always see if the latest version works. If it does, do the update.
    Superuser official website

Wireless Tether for Root Users 3.1-pre112
    Allows you to turn your phone into a wireless hotspot, so that you can tether other wireless enabled devices to your phone, so they can use your phones data connection to access the internet.
    Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

Wired Tether for Root Users 1.4
    Allows you to use your phone as a tethering device, so that you can plug the phone into a USB port on a computer, and allow the computer to access the internet through your phones USB connection.
    Downloads - android-wired-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

DroidWall 1.5.7
    Think of this as a firewall application. It allows certain apps to access the data connection on your phone. Useful if you want to keep data use down, or save battery.
    http://code.google.com/p/droidwall/downloads/list

NetMeterLED 1.0e
    This will change the color of the message LED to reflect the status and speed of the processor in your phone. Colors can be customized and based on processor speed thresholds.
    Downloads - netmeterled - Project Hosting on Google Code

APK Multi-Tool Alpha 2
    An all-in-one app to help make changes and optimizations to APK's. Very useful for devs, and noobs alike. This replaces APK Manager, as APK Manager is no longer supported.
    APK Multi-Tool Official Page

Android Commander 0.7.9.9
    A computer-based application to manage remote installs, copying, moving, and flashing. Can be used for many different purposes, and allows for many advanced features to be simplified.
    http://androidcommander.com/

xUltimate 2.3.3
    A multipurpose tool for changing many aspects and tweaks of the Android OS system. Transparancy, colors, and more are possible to change.
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/xeudoxus/47283-release-xultimate.html

Motorola USB Drivers for Windows 5.2.0
    The drivers for most Motorola devices.
    USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola USA

Format Factory 2.80
    A very flexible tool that allows conversions of tons of file types to and from each other. Should be used with the link below, to the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack.
    www.formatoz.com

K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 8.0.8
    A very comprehensive list of codecs in a convenient installer. Provides many of the hard to find codecs that many files use.
    www.codecguide.com

PNG Gauntlet 2.1.3
    A PNG compression utility. Very easy to use GUI. Plenty of features.
    http://benhollis.net/software/pnggauntlet/

Paint.NET 3.5.10
    Great free photo utility similar to Photoshop, but not quite as fancy. Supports many file types, and supports transparancy and layered files.
    http://www.getpaint.net/

GIMP Photo Editor 2.7.4
    This is one of the most powerful, free photo editors out there. Compatible with Linux, Windows, OSX, Sun OpenSolaris, and FreeBSD.
    GIMP.org

Java JRE 7 update 2
    The Java Runtime Environment, used by Googles Android SDK. May be needed by other utilities as well.
    Java SE downloads

Android SDK r16
    This one should be obvious. It contain most of the components used to create your own apps and code. Includes tools like zipaligning and more.
    http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I have checked out the sites for these links. These are not paid apps, so the post can remain. Thanks to the OP for the quick response.

SetCPU, which I paid for is actually free at the developers web site.
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  3. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

I paid too, I guess somebody has to support these dev's, looks like it was us
  4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

He makes it pretty clear at his site that he would appreciate donations. He also has some interesting words for developers that use SetCPU in their ROMs without permission.
  5. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

I strongly believe in donations and the couple of dollars some of these great apps cost is nothing in comparison to the changes they make in my every day life as far as ease of access and performance of my device, appreciation is key and what better way to show it
  6. Skull One

Skull One New Member

I bought SetCPU from the Market since I use it for the basis of my overclocking research. Hopefully others have bought it as well.
  7. gonrada

gonrada New Member

Thank you to chevy!
    And to all the developers who work so hard to make my droid bad ass!
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  8. markdobson

markdobson New Member

Well said tparker76....well said...
  9. chevycam94

It seems that the SetCPU site I listed as not as widely known as I thought. However, I dont necessarily condone spreading the link to every person out there, JUST so they can get it for free, now that they know WHERE to go for it. Personally, I did not buy it through the Market. In fact, I have not "paid" for it at all. I HAVE however, donated $10 recently to him, as for me, it was well worth it. Thats far more than it is to buy it from the Market, but its worth the money for me.

Remember, he may cease updates if he does not get anything out of it, thats up to him. And always ask him first before including ANY version in your ROM or any distribution package, or he may pull it completely (could you blame him for it?)
  10. chevycam94

Two apps have been added to the list!
  11. Nblufire12

Nblufire12 New Member

What's droidwall?
  12. grinchy

grinchy New Member

13. bradl3y

bradl3y New Member

i nominate a sticky
  14. Nealius

Nealius New Member

now if someone could find me a gps phone finder that is accurate I would be a really happy droider.
  15. Apollo

Apollo New Member

*edit* Just kidding man..
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
Search tags for this page
android registry editor
apks
free .apks

free apks

free apks for everyone
free entercap.apk
free paid apks