Franco's kernel

Big Ry

Reaction score
I've been reading some really great things about Franco's kernel, and I'm thinking about flashing it. However, I've also read that theres an issue where you need to open and close the camera app after every boot or your battery will basically drop off the face of the earth. Thats not a terribly hard thing to do, but I'm worried I'd forget to do it then be stuck without a phone. Is this actually the case? Is the drain THAT bad, or is it just standard battery life?

Also, does anyone know of a good ROM to use with Franco's kernel? I don't know if one would be better than another for any particular reason. I'm on axiom 2.2 now, and its just OK. I'd like to try something other than axiom now.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
Well I decided to flash AOKP milestone 2 based on a lot of positive reports and it being compatible with Franco's kernel (from what I've read). I also downloaded Franco's 13.1 nightly, but I won't be flashing it until I get some more info on it.

ker2gsr

Reaction score
it's my standard kernel good battery life

Sent from my ThinkPad Tablet using Tapatalk

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
yes franco

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Oh, well hello, Franco! DancingNexus

So, what is going on with the camera app and battery drain that I read about? Is that still an issue? Is there an explanation (link?) for what's going on that causes this problem?

I'm eager to flash this kernel. I'm loving AOKP so far, but it needs a speed boost.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I believe Franco is referring to a 4.0.2 and 4.0.3 problem rather than a kernel issue. He thinks the reason android OS runs so high is partially due to the camera sensor opening up on each reboot. He is asking people to test it running his kernel to make sure idle drain isn't a kernel problem. When I ran his kernel on AOKP, it ran fine for me.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
I believe Franco is referring to a 4.0.2 and 4.0.3 problem rather than a kernel issue. He thinks the reason android OS runs so high is partially due to the camera sensor opening up on each reboot. He is asking people to test it running his kernel to make sure idle drain isn't a kernel problem. When I ran his kernel on AOKP, it ran fine for me.
Oh, I must have gotten confused. So there are no weird issues like that then? If not, then I guess I'll flash it tonight.

1gr8droid

Reaction score
Getting ready to try Franco's Kernel, could anyone be so kind as to give me your MD5 check sum for his #13.1 build.
Thanks.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
Just flashed 13.1 and set a new benchmark

a6f83309-9719-d6be.jpg

ker2gsr

Reaction score
I use his app so I don't see no md5 number

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
Me ? Oh no just a supporter

Ah, ok, I see where the confusion came from lol

Well, I'm liking the kernel so far, but its not seeming like the battery life's quite as good as AOKP's stock kernel (whatever that is). I am overclocked too though and (i believe) NOT undervolted on Franco's. Whereas, the AOKP kernel wasn't overclocked, but probably was undervolted.