FoxKat's Razr/Maxx Jelly Bean Leak Classroom W/MattyP & Friends

sakana

Reaction score
I may have this wrong but isn't the point of soak testing to find bugs and fix them before the actual release. So then one may presume there should be some fixes between what was just released and the true OTA. Doesn't seem wise to update with this version.

rotordroid

Reaction score
The soak version is generally pushed as is unless the soak testers found something major.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I may have this wrong but isn't the point of soak testing to find bugs and fix them before the actual release. So then one may presume there should be some fixes between what was just released and the true OTA. Doesn't seem wise to update with this version.

The soak version is generally pushed as is unless the soak testers found something major.

Both are correct regarding the process and purpose. As for whether it's wise or not, in most cases the soak version is the one that is eventually pushed out, but there have been soak versions that eventually were found to be buggy and another version was pushed. Those who side-loaded the buggy version were off the upgrade path until a Fastboot file was made available to flash back to the previous OTA stock version, so there is a relatively small risk that the soak version is not the eventual pushed OTA version. This is why we always say, "proceed at your own risk".

rotordroid

Reaction score
It seems that the soak testers would then be left with a broken upgrade, unable to revert back nor be on the update path. With approx 200,000 testers that would leave a lot of folks stranded.

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

Or go here...

DroidForums.net Droid News_Soak Test for Droid RAZR and RAZR MAXX is in Tester's Hands; Files Available Now

Installation procedure is the same as for all side-loading;
  1. Download the necessary file (see links below), and save it to your External SD card as a zip file, do NOT extract it, and do NOT change the file name.
  2. Next, power off your phone by pressing and holding the Power button, then choosing "Power off" and then "OK" at the next menu.
  3. Now that the phone is powered off, press and hold BOTH VOLUME BUTTONS and while holding them press and hold the POWER BUTTON.
  4. Once the Boot Mode Selection Menu appears (white text on a black background), release all three buttons, the highlight should be on "Normal powerup".
  5. Next, press the VOLUME DOWN button ONCE to move the highlight is on the "Recovery" menu selection. If you pass it accidentally, DO NOT press the VOLUME UP, because in this menu the VOLUME UP is actually the Select button (think "enter"). Instead continue pressing VOLUME DOWN until the highlight reaches the bottom and one more press will bring it back to the top.
  6. Once you have the "Recovery" menu selection highlighted, press the VOLUME UP to select it. The screen should display the red Motorola "M" logo, then go black for about 5 seconds. It will eventually show the Android Triage screen (Android on his back, belly open with a red triangle and black exclamation point).
  7. Now press both VOLUME buttons at the same time again. This can take from one to as much as 20 or more presses of the VOLUME BUTTONS together to get it to respond. Don't give up.
  8. You should now see the Android System Recovery menu, a black screen with blue menu choices. In this menu both VOLUME BUTTONS act as cursors to move up and down through the menu selections.
  9. Use the VOLUME BUTTONS to move the highlight to "apply update from external storage" and press the POWER button to select.
  10. Now you should see a list of the files on the External (removable) SD Card. Using the VOLUME BUTTONS, scroll down to the file you downloaded,
    1. either Blur_Version.98.72.8.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip for those on the Christmas Eve Leak build, 98.72.8,
    2. or Blur_Version.6.16.211.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip if you are on the stock 6.16.211 Ice Cream Sandwich.
  11. Once highlighted, press the POWER BUTTON and let it do its thing.

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It seems that the soak testers would then be left with a broken upgrade, unable to revert back nor be on the update path. With approx 200,000 testers that would leave a lot of folks stranded.

That was the reason for the survey. Your statement makes sense when referring to the potentially thousands who were accidentally pushed the update on December 24, 2012. The question is how does/can Motorola and Verizon know who got it and who didn't? I say they don't, but that's just my gut feeling. They certainly don't know of the potentially tens of thousands who side-loaded it.

sockeblu

Reaction score
My phone had the same problem of pausing at the triage screen no matter how long i pressed the volume buttons, until I figured out that it is pressing them at the same time for about 2 seconds, then release the volume up with volume down held the entire time. Works every time now.
... But now I have a failed message with the newest upgrade from the christmas version
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/lib/libwebrtc_audio_preprocessing.so"
I do have the beats audio root installed, tried freezing it with no luck.
Any thoughts?

GotnFX

Reaction score
My phone had the same problem of pausing at the triage screen no matter how long i pressed the volume buttons, until I figured out that it is pressing them at the same time for about 2 seconds, then release the volume up with volume down held the entire time. Works every time now.
... But now I have a failed message with the newest upgrade from the christmas version
Any thoughts?

What version is on the phone now? If going to Christmas leak JB, I'd be totally stock...maybe try uninstalling beats if you think that is the problem...

sockeblu

Reaction score
What version is on the phone now? If going to Christmas leak JB, I'd be totally stock...maybe try uninstalling beats if you think that is the problem...

It is stock Christmas leak JB, I have have uninstalled beats audio now and tried a FDR. Still the same error.

GotnFX

Reaction score
It is stock Christmas leak JB, I have have uninstalled beats audio now and tried a FDR. Still the same error.

Where did you download the 72.8 file from? Have you tried deleting the file in your SD ext and download from another source?

sockeblu

Reaction score
Where did you download the 72.8 file from? Have you tried deleting the file in your SD ext and download from another source?
I got the file off the droid life link. I tried the mirror image file also, no luck... same error. I can still wait for the OTA, but if I am getting this error with sideloading it, then will the OTA work?

agricorganico

Reaction score
Any thoughts?

I installed the beats audio and now my phone speaker won't work. I lost all my audio and my calls are almost mute. HOW IN HELL A CAN GET RID OF THAT BEATS AUDIO JUNK???

GotnFX

Reaction score
I got the file off the droid life link. I tried the mirror image file also, no luck... same error. I can still wait for the OTA, but if I am getting this error with sideloading it, then will the OTA work?

Not sure. If you know for sure USB debugging checked, unknown resources checked and you're stock Christmas Jb leak, I guess we'll see. Rooted or temp unrooted shouldn't be the issue.

OP
FoxKat

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Any thoughts?

You'll have to remove the Beats audio and make sure your phone is completely stock, whether on Jelly Bean or on Ice Cream Sandwich. If you can't successfully get Beats removed, you may have to take a scary ride down soft brick lane, flash ICS via the Droid RAZR Utility V1.82, which will soft brick you, then side load the Jelly Bean Leak, then side load the Soak upgrade version 98.72.8 to get to the current version 98.72.16. I did it, and I'm fully on the new upgrade. See below.

amutu5ah.jpg

There's an excellent instructional thread by CamoMike here; http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2365276
FIX: Soft Bricked after reverting from Jelly Bean update