FoxKat's Razr/Maxx Jelly Bean Leak Classroom W/MattyP & Friends

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR Support' started by FoxKat, Jan 9, 2013.

1. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I don't know about you, but over 5 hours with only 10% - 19% used looks pretty good to me. At 19% consumed (meaning it's not yet at 80%, and so still displays 90%), that would equate to 26.3 hours on one charge. That's right where it should be. If it's closer to only 10% consumed, then you're looking at upwards of 50 hours on a charge...not too shabby! :icon_ banana:
  2. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Actually there is a way to do this, but it's risky. The process involves essentially deliberately and purposefully "soft-bricking" the phone. Once soft-bricked by flashing the earlier .211 version of Ice Cream Sandwich, you then flash the new Christmas leak of Jelly Bean over top. See this thread and you'll read how it's done - an excellent post by CamoMike, and if you go through the thread, you'll see that I actually used this process on my RAZR MAXX! http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/234837-fix-soft-bricked-after-reverting-jelly-bean-update.html

For those curious, the reason it soft-bricks is that we all (RAZR owners), have "locked bootloaders" which prevents us from easily changing the Kernel, the most rudimentary portion of the OS. Since the Kernel for Jelly Bean is completely new and not compatible with Ice Cream Sandwich, the two don't mix. So flashing Ice Cream Sandwich over the Jelly Bean Kernel results in a system that gets completely confused and fails. Once done, flashing Jelly Bean back over the same Kernel puts things back in order again, and so...no soft-brick. Pretty ingenious, and we owe to CamoMike and those who helped him through the process.
  3. swallman

swallman New Member

So I'm needing to go back down to .211 (currently on .215) so I can get the JB update. Just wondering if a wipe is suggested or would I be fine not wiping ? I just hate having to re-setup my phone every time.

Thanks folks!
  4. helron

helron New Member

Foxcat, Tis

More info re my battery . It usually drains quite quickly from 100 to 90, and then 80 to 70 a bit slower.
    When battery reaches 70 it lakes much more time to get to 50 and less etc. The when I hit 30, it goes slowly to 20" and that's most likely because I lessen my use fearing total quick drain.
    A poster mentioned that staggered discharge curves like may be result of battery suffering from Voltage Depression??? - A battery with diminished capacity?? It acts acts like I have viable battery available --but when cells start being drained they just dissipate. I'm lost at sea because I know nothing about electricity other than turning a TV on and off So, perhaps my battery is bad?
    I will continue test. Will make it drain quickly later today and keep I posted.

Sitting at airport waiting for a flight that was on time when we drove to airport and is now very delayed! What's the purpose of notification sign up if the airline fails to text passengers about delays. UGH!!!! UGH!!!

Droid Razr via Tapatalk
  5. helron

helron New Member

Forgot to attach these battery usage screen snapshots.

Droid Razr via Tapatalk

Attached Files:

6. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

Am I looking at this correctly. It looks like you lost 20% battery in 11 hrs? Nothing in the app usage stats looks unusual. Kernel should always be the highest drain. Other things would be in accordance to usage. What seems to be rapid draining mixed with slower draining periods could be due to many things... meter calibration, the phone is more actively doing things in the background for some intervals, signal strength. For me that is typical drain (levels out a bit more after doing a meter calibration). How long is your battery lasting from 100% to 10%?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
  7. Redalert

Redalert New Member

1day, 6hr, 51mins @ 30% batt.. For me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2
  8. Redalert

Redalert New Member

Crap I forgot I didn't charge it last night. Turned off last night and back on In morning, I ran it all day yesterday starting at 100% batt.. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2
  9. helron

helron New Member

Tis/Foxkat
    Earlier , I sent you my stats and now my battery has dropped to 15% as expected. I Have now attached newer stats below.
    Used phone very little, and phone was OFF for appx. 2.5 hrs.
    Prior to JB phone lasted over 24 hours and never hit 15%.
    Perhaps JB and drainage is a Just a coincidence??? Who knows? In any event, I hit 15% and am charging again, while OFF

Droid Razr via Tapatalk

Attached Files:

10. helron

helron New Member

Foxkat, here are pics continued from above. I am on my 2nd calibration today.

Droid Razr via Tapatalk

Attached Files:

11. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

Helron, one of the things you may want to check is to make sure you are not on global data mode (will suck battery lots). Go into settings--> more... (under data usage)--> mobile networks--> network mode. Select LTE/CDMA.

Do you have a Maxx or a Razr? 24 hours on a Razr is excellent battery life, not so on a Maxx. 18 hours on a Razr is still very good. It may just be a few tweaks to get your old battery life back or it could be that some of JB's added features (such as Google Now) will drain more than what was draining on ICS.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
  12. helron

helron New Member

Hi Tis,
    Thanks for continued interest in my Battery Saga Problem is that it is so sporadic. I get longer battery levels when becauI'm hardly using the phone.
    It basically comes down to this: what's the use of having a smart phone if you can't use all the goodies that come with it?
    I guess that's what bothers me so muchI have to usenet the phone so sparsely, instead of using everything that's available to me. And , when I do use everything the battery is just awful. Jellybean and Google now are terrific, but for some strange reason they are horrific on my Razr.
    Prior to jellybean I was able to recalibrate and would be fine. However, with jellybean, the recalibration is not doing the trick. Who knows? Perhaps, I need to recalibrate more often than before. In Any event I am going to try anything to get this phone working. Also, I haven't installed most of the apps I had when using ice cream Sandwich. I run very few now, and that's another reason I am so bothered with battery life. I just can enjoy the benefits of the Razr, yet I luv the phone!! LOL LOL
  13. moset

moset Member

Just my pennies worth.
    I agree that turning off features (that improve your experience) to save battery defeats the purpose.
    I am getting a CLN MAXX today because of an issue with the speaker. It seems my battery life had degraded over the 16 months I've had it.
    Two users comparing battery life is difficult due to many factors. The way I use my maxx I tend to get about 10 hours with the screen on fully half of that time. That has decreased. I'm thinking part of the reason is that the battery itself has degraded. I only recently got 4G in my area which I know will also use more battery.
    The screen is always the biggest user of battery in terms of time on.
    Two factors can effect screen battery use with AMOLED screens. Brightness, and colors. Black uses the least, white or blue use the most. Black screen with white text uses less than white with black text for example.
    As for battery degradation I should know if that is a factor in my case by tomorrow with my CLN replacement. I hope the "like new" includes the battery.
    Soon see.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    1 person likes this.
  14. bubbasmith58

bubbasmith58 New Member

I can't even get the first step done. My computer won't recognize phone. I've installed the drivers, tried different usb chords and still no luck.
  15. avenged61973

avenged61973 Member

Did you extract the files directly to your c drive?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  16. bubbasmith58

bubbasmith58 New Member

It won't recognize it at all. Not just when I try to flash it back. I plug it in and all it does is charge. I get and "unknown device" in the bottom right corner.
  17. GotnFX

GotnFX Active Member

It has to be the original cord that came with the phone. If you believe you are using the correct cord, try another USB input on your computer.
  18. Redsnk95

Redsnk95 New Member

Make sure to use a dedicated USB port (usually located on the back of the PC) and not a crappy front USB port.
  19. aarong03

aarong03 Member

Ok, my laptop is running windows 7 Enterprise, and it recognizes my phone. But when I go to launch the DroidRazr utility.bat file it opens the dos screen, and when I press enter the dos screen disappears. I think I'm missing a setting or something in windows 7.
  20. sakana

sakana New Member

Right click the .bat file and run it as administrator. That isn't always necessary but its a good idea to do. I'm on win 7 and it works just fine.
Search tags for this page
download clasroom jelly bean
droid razr maxx no lte baseband
favorite contact widget motorola razr
flash jb from .215
foxkat
foxkat's explanation on droidforums.net
how to use droid razr utility to update to jb
mattlgroff

motorola droid razr maxx 215 back to 211 rom

no notepad with jelly bean update
on droid razr with .215, how do i recover to .211 in order t