Foxfi working on this phone?

RazrMOwner

Reaction score
Have any of you been able to get Foxfi working on this phone on Verizon?

Let me start w/ some background:

- I had an unrooted Droid X with Foxfi working daily
- My Razr M is basically stock (not rooted)
- I have a 4G 2G/mo data plan

I have researched this issue fairly extensively and have not been able to get Foxfi wifi tethering successfully on 2 Win7 laptops that previously were working with the DroidX and that connect to DSL via wifi.

I have tried:
- rebooting the phone
- clearing cache, stop and start app, then reboot
- changing network name, password on/off, etc
- airplane mode on/off
- Foxfi addon for proxy server
- Enabling the Verizon hotspot feature, and then cancelling (to verify the hardware works)
- On the PC side - clearing old network names, troubleshooting, etc

Foxfi detects internet connection and starts hotspot successfully. I can see the network on the laptop and get prompted for a password. It will connect, but in limited fashion, i.e. no internet (which is useless).

Based on my unsuccessful attempts, and without proof that anyone else has Foxfi working on the Razr M, I suspect that:

1) Foxfi has not been updated for compatibility with this phone or
2) Motorola and/or Verizon is blocking access (less likely, due to FCC/Copyright office rulings)

I have around 10 days left on my return period. If I can't get this to work, I will probably go w/ a Galaxy S3 since it appears to be working with Foxfi on forums (maybe due to different manufacturer or older release date).

Thank you in advance for any help.

dscott7

Reaction score
I don't think you have to use foxfi. I talked to verizon the other day about upgrading and they said you can use it as a wifi hotspot. Maybe they have there own app?

OP
R

RazrMOwner

Reaction score
Yes, for an additional $20-30/month. Foxfi is free and was working on DroidX. I believe you can get free mobile hotspot with the new share plans, but I have an older 2GB/mo plan.

rbtnt

Reaction score
I am looking at a razr m and interested in the outcome. Have you tried tethering with pdanet using a usb cable?

OP
R

RazrMOwner

Reaction score
Yes, but it requires a PC component. That's not an option for my company machine, unfortunately. Otherwise, a USB cable is minor inconvenience and a more reliable connection.

Hey, a trick on PDAnet for secure sites is to click the buy button, then credit card, which will take you to an https site. Leave that and open a new tab. Then you're good to go.

Good luck.

nateohio

Reaction score
RazrMOwner said:
Yes, for an additional $20-30/month. Foxfi is free and was working on DroidX. I believe you can get free mobile hotspot with the new share plans, but I have an older 2GB/mo plan.

The FCC also ruled that they can't charge tiered data users for wifi hotspot access.

They can only charge unlimited data users

dan.dar

Reaction score
They said that they charge $20/month for the use of their app, which is free on share everything plans. That was their excuse not to have to pay back this fee to their customers. Anyways, for anyone that's getting this phone on share everything plan the built in hot spot app should be free.

SteveIrv

Reaction score
The main reasons I felt OK with changing from an old family play with 700 talk minutes and unlimited data to one of th enew Share Everything plans with 4GB of data:

1. Disconnected my home landline for a savings of $50 a month
2. Unlimited talk minutes on the new plan (see #1)
3. Tethering is now "free".....not that I ever used it, but I can if I need to.
4. Not having to pay full list/retail" price for a new phone.
5. New plan saves me fifty cents a month....LOL

Couple years ago while on vacation I was in some places where I had cell phone service but couldn't get wifi. The phone I had at the time wouldn't do tethering at all...so even a $20 for the month charge wouldn't have helped me.

Now......if I'm on vacation and I find myself in the same situation, I can tether without a second thought. If I'm using "too much" data, I can call in and bump up my plan for the month, then bump it back down when I get back home.

dan.dar

Reaction score
Same here. I saved $50 on my land line and ended up paying extra $11 on my VZW plan.

OP
R

RazrMOwner

Reaction score
BUMP - does anyone has Foxfi enabled on this phone? If not, were you able to Elixir or another program to get free wifi hotspot?

By the way, I tried Elixir, and it just asks me to subscribe to the service.

Thanks

OP
R

RazrMOwner

Reaction score
Hey I got something to work: SVTP-Lite is working right now. $15 app. Might be worth it. I'll use it for the 2-day trial and let you all know.