Foxfi to tether a Droid X

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
I have been using FoxFi to tether to my computer via WiFi with no problems. However i tried over the weekend to connect my sons inactivated droid x to my GS3, but it would not connect. It is a gaming device for him, and he wanted me to download a new game, but no matter what i tired, proxy... it wouldn't connect. Is there something about cell phones that doesn't allow them to tether together? Or is there a solution i could try.
If no options i have to bring his phone to work with me and use our WiFi here at work, but it would be cool to tether it at home.
Thoughts?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
No I have used my tether before to let a guy in my office to connect his Iphone, which might be blasphemous but it happened and worked fine.

Razr users were having problems with FoxFi on ICS, and they went and cleared the data for the APP and did a forceclose and they found that does help it work.

OP
DroidBoardr

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
No I have used my tether before to let a guy in my office to connect his Iphone, which might be blasphemous but it happened and worked fine.

Razr users were having problems with FoxFi on ICS, and they went and cleared the data for the APP and did a forceclose and they found that does help it work.
I was sure that it was possible, I'll give that a shot tonight. Thanks. Is there any reason to use a proxy server?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I would say only if you are interested in any of the following..

A proxy server has a variety of potential purposes, including:
  • To keep machines behind it anonymous, mainly for security.[SUP][1][/SUP]
  • To speed up access to resources (using caching). Web proxies are commonly used to cache web pages from a web server.[SUP][2][/SUP]
  • To apply access policy to network services or content, e.g. to block undesired sites.
  • To access sites prohibited or filtered by your ISP or institution.
  • To log / audit usage, i.e. to provide company employee Internet usage reporting.
  • To bypass security / parental controls.
  • To circumvent Internet filtering to access content otherwise blocked by governments.[SUP][3][/SUP]
  • To scan transmitted content for malware before delivery.
  • To scan outbound content, e.g., for data loss prevention.
  • To allow a web site to make web requests to externally hosted resources (e.g. images, music files, etc.) when cross-domain restrictions prohibit the web site from linking directly to the outside domains.

MJKneuro

Reaction score
Sydman said:

Seems to be a problem with a few phones. Can't get foxfi to work on a Rezound with ics. Can see the network but can't connect.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Seems to be a problem with a few phones. Can't get foxfi to work on a Rezound with ics. Can see the network but can't connect.

I never got FoxFi working on my phone even before ICS, before I used the WiFi tether that required root. Since ICS however that does not work so well, so I did the SQL Lite hotspot hack and that has been working good for me.

OP
DroidBoardr

DroidBoardr

Reaction score

FoxFi wont work on the Rezound or any HTC device except the new One Series. Its an HTC locked thing, so rooting is the only option for wifi tethering without paying Verizon for it. PDANet via USB works flawlessly though.

Qui3tStorm

Reaction score
In regards to FoxFi/Verizon is there some sort of data cap? I can tether my laptop no problems but as soon as I start streaming a video off of Netflix my data drops, then I have to reestablish connection etc.. I get roughly 8-10 mins worth, it's like it sense the large amount of data being continually used and sends a quick hiccup just to disrupt it.