FoxFi Question

bluezdawg

Reaction score
When using FoxFi, is there any danger of Big Red taking exception and either charging me for tethering or voiding my unlimited data plan?

Sent from my butt-kick'n DROID BIONIC Bionic using Tapatalk2

B

bens42608

I seriously hope not. And I'd imagine they'd rather keep me as a customer than piss me off enough to leave - im sure they know about it by now and they haven't acknowledged it so I think they're turning a blind eye to the whole thing. But who knows. There's not much they can do to stop it cause if foxfi was shut down all Wed have to do is root and it would make them look bad to lose that battle. It should be free anyways. We pay for our 4g

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I suppose part of it will be how much you use it and how much data is used.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I've used foxfi to tether my sons ps3, laptops, tablets.... other phones.. lots of data used. Just to test this, and so far, no charge.

I have been told that for vzw to be able to charge you, you have to be using their software.

Meaning actually enabling the wifi hotspot on your phone. How true this is, I don't really know.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Yes. That's why you do it at your own risk. It may or may not happen.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Verizon has been pretty aggressive in removing apps like this from the market. Foxfi has been there for a while now. I think it is a Verizon test app

CurGeorge8

Reaction score
I seriously doubt it is a Verizon test app. And as to if they can detect it and what they might do; pda net (June Fabrics) has been out for a while for Android, and they've had a blackberry and windows phone version forever. This makes me think vz might not be able to truly detect these programs.

As for getting it banned from the Android market, they'd probably have to show it violating their tos, our causing harm, etc. Not really a clear cut argument, and I doubt they want a lot of government interference with all these mergers, etc. going around.

rah

Reaction score
I have had trouble with foxfi on my droid bionic. It only gives limited access for my laptop. Any help would be appreciated. I want to be able to use it on my laptop and Ipad2 when there is no wifi available. Thanks in advance for any help on this.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have had trouble with foxfi on my droid bionic. It only gives limited access for my laptop. Any help would be appreciated. I want to be able to use it on my laptop and Ipad2 when there is no wifi available. Thanks in advance for any help on this.

A couple of things is to uninstall and reinstall the app. Another is to change the name of the device (mine says Android29) the laptop needs to find.

Last edited:

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
The first time I tried to use Foxfi, something I was doing kept trying to open my regular hot spot. Make sure you are only using the Foxfi app and only pressing on the Foxfi app icon to open

I have always changed the name and also set a password. I am able to connect my stuff:2 laptops, an iPad, and an Acer Tab. I have had several other people connect their iPads, and laptops to it.

rah

Reaction score
I removed the app and reinstalled it. I also named it a differnt name and I still only get limited access on my laptop. I did just get a droid update this morning. I am operating on windows 7. Thanks for your suggestions but I still need help.
Roger

rah

Reaction score
I kept trying and it finally started working. I am posting this reply on my laptop using foxfi as the wifi source.

Thanks for the help.

Roger