FoxFi Fixed to Work on Galaxy Nexus running Jelly Bean

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
images

The popular app that provides Free Wifi tether without the need to be rooted has been fixed for the Galaxy Nexus on Jelly Bean. Something in the Jelly Bean update didn't mesh with the app. Some of you Gnex users may have held up on updating simply because you didn't want to loose the ability to use this awesome app! The developers have flipped a switch or plugged something in, who knows what they did. Whatever they did it is now working with the Galaxy Nexus on JB. If you are having withdraws just head to the playstore link below!

PlayStore

Via DroidLife

silverfang77

Reaction score
Don't the phone companies charge you extra if they catch you using apps like this to generate free wifi?

javaman70

Reaction score
If I remember correctly Verizon was fined for trying to charge you for doing this

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

silverfang77

Reaction score
I wish there were more clarity on what the carriers are allowed to charge for and what they aren't. I would love to try this app out, but dread ending up with an $1100 bill next month.

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use apps like these pretty frequently. I don't rely on this for my only source of internet like some. Verizon has never charged me extra, and I have used well over 10GB in a months time before.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Don't the phone companies charge you extra if they catch you using apps like this to generate free wifi?
they can't. it's against their contract they agreed to with fcc. verizon already paid the price for @#$%ing with people's free tethering Verizon to pay $1.25M FCC fine; forced to allow tethering apps | Politics and Law - CNET News

i
do sometimes rely on my hotspot as whole house internet service on summer weekends when we go to our house out in the middle of nowhere, using up hundreds of gbs of data over a weekend isn't uncommon and verizon doesn't say a word as both me and my wife have unlimited data plan.

Last edited:

zero7404

Reaction score
they can't. it's against their contract they agreed to with fcc. verizon already paid the price for @#$%ing with people's free tethering Verizon to pay $1.25M FCC fine; forced to allow tethering apps | Politics and Law - CNET News

i
do sometimes rely on my hotspot as whole house internet service on summer weekends when we go to our house out in the middle of nowhere, using up hundreds of gbs of data over a weekend isn't uncommon and verizon doesn't say a word as both me and my wife have unlimited data plan.

hundreds of GBs ?? are you running weather simulations from supercomputers or something ?

sent via android ....

Grady

Reaction score
I use apps like these pretty frequently. I don't rely on this for my only source of internet like some. Verizon has never charged me extra, and I have used well over 10GB in a months time before.

So using this app won't put me over my 10GB data allowance? Does it even count towards that allowance? I really want to try it but definitely don't want to be surprised with a $800 bill next month. I don't intend to use it as my main source of internet but using it for streaming at work would be really nice and I know that takes up a lot of data.

JRParsons

Reaction score
Grady said:
So using this app won't put me over my 10GB data allowance? Does it even count towards that allowance? I really want to try it but definitely don't want to be surprised with a $800 bill next month. I don't intend to use it as my main source of internet but using it for streaming at work would be really nice and I know that takes up a lot of data.

It will count against your data cap. The reason people are saying it is "free" is that Verizon used to charge a separate fee to tether a second device to your phone. Basically charging you twice for the same data. From what I understand, they can no longer restrict the way you access the data, but they will definitely charge you if you go over your 10gb. Unless you stream videos, it will be tough to go over 10gb, but it is easier to use large amounts of data on a pc than it is on a phone so I suggest using the My Verizon app to check how much you are using.

N4UPD

Reaction score
I heard they can't charge extra for tether if you are on a tiered or share everything plan but if you have unlimited they can charge you for tethering.