Foxfi app - great news

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
zbaba4 said:
Good that Foxfi now works on Razr HD. Now I will buy it.

BTW, yes the FCC now requires Verizon to allow the app to be installed from Google Play, but that doesn't mean they can't block it from running on some plans or phones if they can. Nor does it mean they can't charge for it or limit it.

So, here's the scoop on native (authorized) tethering on Verizon Plans. Of course if you can run Foxfi, it doesn't matter.

I called VZW for all this info because I suspected it was not as simple as unlimited no, tiered yes.

Unlimited plans (grandfathered), no.
Tiered plans allowed only for data Plans more than $45/ month. This means not on 2GB plan !
You can add tethering for $20/month on 3G, $30 on 4G. Adds 2GB/month (not unlimited). Or higher data limit plans include some tethering.
On unlimited plan you can add also and it is unlimited !! Hold onto that unlimited plan.
You can add tethering ($20/$30) and cancel when you don't need it. So you can do it for just a few days on a trip and it will be prorated ($1/day). HOWEVER, if you have tiered data, tethering data allowed is prorated also, watch out. But if you have unlimited, it is not, you get unlimited as long as it is on.
Share everything, yes, but tethered data use is tracked separately. Limit depends on you data plan. AND, not on 2GB PLAN !

So.... Foxfi while it works on your phone. Otherwise if you have unlimited, here's another reason for keeping it.

Thanks for a better explanation, data plans on Verizon's site is almost nonexistent, I still am sceptical of any thing Verizon says because while one person told me no three days later another rep did exactly the opposite. But your evaluation seems logical.

Pegleg

Reaction score
I am now on the shared plan with 2GB of data and I have the free wifi hotspot at no additional charge.

Good that Foxfi now works on Razr HD. Now I will buy it.

BTW, yes the FCC now requires Verizon to allow the app to be installed from Google Play, but that doesn't mean they can't block it from running on some plans or phones if they can. Nor does it mean they can't charge for it or limit it.

So, here's the scoop on native (authorized) tethering on Verizon Plans. Of course if you can run Foxfi, it doesn't matter.

I called VZW for all this info because I suspected it was not as simple as unlimited no, tiered yes.

Unlimited plans (grandfathered), no.
Tiered plans allowed only for data Plans more than $45/ month. This means not on 2GB plan !
You can add tethering for $20/month on 3G, $30 on 4G. Adds 2GB/month (not unlimited). Or higher data limit plans include some tethering.
On unlimited plan you can add also and it is unlimited !! Hold onto that unlimited plan.
You can add tethering ($20/$30) and cancel when you don't need it. So you can do it for just a few days on a trip and it will be prorated ($1/day). HOWEVER, if you have tiered data, tethering data allowed is prorated also, watch out. But if you have unlimited, it is not, you get unlimited as long as it is on.
Share everything, yes, but tethered data use is tracked separately. Limit depends on you data plan. AND, not on 2GB PLAN !

So.... Foxfi while it works on your phone. Otherwise if you have unlimited, here's another reason for keeping it.

geoff5093

Reaction score
I wish that FoxFi allowed you to set more advanced options, such as the channel. Perhaps I'll give the root-based tethering apps another shot.

zbaba4

Reaction score
Pegleg, you are correct. All the Share Everything Plans include Mobile Hotspot. The issue is with all the tiered 2GB plans.

roach

Reaction score
Foxfi was an app developed to activate your hot spot without rooting your phone or paying verizon their hot spot fee. Yes all data whether through the stock hot spot app or foxfi deducts from your allotted data.
don't say that to loud they might here you,i pay those assholes for the privilage of
using there hot spot,and now ? - this is by far the best app i found period.
verizion don't care about helping the little guy.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
roach said:
don't say that to loud they might here you,i pay those assholes for the privilage of
using there hot spot,and now ? - this is by far the best app i found period.
verizion don't care about helping the little guy.

I'm mum.