Foxfi app - great news

rumblee1

Reaction score
I emailed foxfisoft, the developers of the great foxfi app. Told them we were waiting for their app to work on the maxx hd, and razr HD. They just replied saying that the Foxfi app, now works on these phones.

BenZB

Reaction score
It still isn't working for me on my RAZR MAXX. I just emailed their support department as well.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Works on my maxx HD/g2

hotice

Reaction score
Awesome! That was one big disappointment when I saw that FoxFi would not work. I'm glad the dev fixed it so quickly! Thank you!

maxxhd

Reaction score
Yep I got a reply from the developer as well and it worked. Awesome!

geoff5093

Reaction score
Works great for me as well, once and a while it needs to be enabled/disabled twice, but it's working!

RaveD

Reaction score
Great news!

Am I correct in my assumption that Verizon is not enforcing use of 3rd party WiFi apps?

Now that I was forced to switch to 2GB plan, there is no way I will pay extra for tethering.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
RaveD said:
Great news!

Am I correct in my assumption that Verizon is not enforcing use of 3rd party WiFi apps?

Now that I was forced to switch to 2GB plan, there is no way I will pay extra for tethering.

If your on a data capped plan you can use the stock app.

Pegleg

Reaction score
How does FoxFi work if you are on the new shared plan with VZW and have the "free" mobile hot spot? I assume your data consumption is still going to go against your allowance since any data used by say a tablet is coming through your VZW data.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
Pegleg said:
How does FoxFi work if you are on the new shared plan with VZW and have the "free" mobile hot spot? I assume your data consumption is still going to go against your allowance since any data used by say a tablet is coming through your VZW data.

Foxfi was an app developed to activate your hot spot without rooting your phone or paying verizon their hot spot fee. Yes all data whether through the stock hot spot app or foxfi deducts from your allotted data.

BenZB

Reaction score
I just got FoxFi to work as well. Toy do need you turn it on and off sometimes for it to start working but eventually it works. I emailed their support yesterday regarding the issue and have not received a response from them. I am glad to have forums that help out when needed. Thanks.

RaveD

Reaction score
If your on a data capped plan you can use the stock app.
I was told I had to buy a plan with hotspot included in order to use the stock app without paying extra monthly fee.

I guess I will give it a shot and see what happens. I plan to root my phone anyway after my 14-day trial is over, at which point I can just hack the SQLite DB (if VZ doesn't fix that vulnerability soon).

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
RaveD said:
I was told I had to buy a plan with hotspot included in order to use the stock app without paying extra monthly fee.

I guess I will give it a shot and see what happens. I plan to root my phone anyway after my 14-day trial is over, at which point I can just hack the SQLite DB (if VZ doesn't fix that vulnerability soon).

If you have a tiered data plan or a share everything plan you don't have to buy a jet pack or any thing else. It's your data and you can access it by any means you can dream up. If you have unlimited you can't, that was what foxfi cures.

Yes the share everything plan or an individual tiered plan has hot spot included free.

zbaba4

Reaction score
Verizon Tethering - Mobile hot spot Plan rules

Good that Foxfi now works on Razr HD. Now I will buy it.

BTW, yes the FCC now requires Verizon to allow the app to be installed from Google Play, but that doesn't mean they can't block it from running on some plans or phones if they can. Nor does it mean they can't charge for it or limit it.

So, here's the scoop on native (authorized) tethering on Verizon Plans. Of course if you can run Foxfi, it doesn't matter.

I called VZW for all this info because I suspected it was not as simple as unlimited no, tiered yes.

Unlimited plans (grandfathered), no.
Tiered plans allowed only for data Plans more than $45/ month. This means not on 2GB plan !
You can add tethering for $20/month on 3G, $30 on 4G. Adds 2GB/month (not unlimited). Or higher data limit plans include some tethering.
On unlimited plan you can add also and it is unlimited !! Hold onto that unlimited plan.
You can add tethering ($20/$30) and cancel when you don't need it. So you can do it for just a few days on a trip and it will be prorated ($1/day). HOWEVER, if you have tiered data, tethering data allowed is prorated also, watch out. But if you have unlimited, it is not, you get unlimited as long as it is on.
Share everything, yes, but tethered data use is tracked separately. Limit depends on you data plan. AND, not on 2GB PLAN !

So.... Foxfi while it works on your phone. Otherwise if you have unlimited, here's another reason for keeping it.