fox fi =no longer (FREE).... what do you think?

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I find it funny that anyone would quibble over a one time $7.00 fee to allow your device to be wirelessly tethered to you laptop or computer. Though, I guess it shouldn't surprise in a time where we complain about schools, yet don't want to pay taxes to support the schools. Want a responsive fire and police department, and don't want to pay taxes to support them.

I paid $15 for PDAnet 3 years ago, and when I needed a new laptop (because the other shot craps), I paid $15 to have it installed there (changing phones is free). It works flawlessly, and I'm quite happy with the service. I also use FoxFi for the times I need to quickly get to something and don't feel like getting out the cord for PDAnet. Next time I need FoxFi, I will gladly pay the $7 for a service that has worked as advertised for me. Oftentimes, you get what you pay for.

jwgraves

Reaction score
I found the foxfi.apk on another website and installed it manually. It's version 1.52.1 (not the latest of 1.95.2) so no requirement to pay $7......

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I recently got an alert for updates on google play.one of the updates was Fox fi . I always read the what's new section in the update.to find that there will be a limit to use the wireless tether app . You can restart the app if you want to continue the free part of the app. it says anywhere between a few minutes to thirty. I ask why other then to get money for the development which i will strongly support because it is such a great app.on the other hand why now? Why not from the beginning have a trial version .so i didn't update and the app still works just fine. I am rooted and have a couple of back UPS of this app. If anyone updated b4 reading what it updated hit me up .i just want to know what you guys think about this update. And the price that is being ask for for the full version.thanks guys!!!

If you are already rooted then why not used the WiFi tether for root users in the Play Store, has always been and still is free and works better IMO. Or you could do the SQL hack and just have buy SQLite for $1.99 save yourself 5 bucks if you don't want to use Wifi Tether.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...S5nb29nbGVjb2RlLmFuZHJvaWQud2lmaS50ZXRoZXIiXQ..

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...yLDEsImNvbS5zcGVlZHNvZnR3YXJlLnNxbGVkaXRvciJd

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P (VZ) & S7 Edge (TMO)
I agree with Sydman. Just hack the mobile hotspot its super simple and is reliable because its Verizon's own rather than 3rd party. I don't understand why people root and use fox fi. Just my opinion though I would rather root and stick it back to the people sticking it to me with having to pay $100 a month and if I want a new phone having to pay full price.

chasnsparks

Reaction score
put foxfi free on the wifes maxx several months ago, and it would randomly drop the connection. Put it on the maxx i bought a week ago, and downloaded the free version with limitations... So, I bought the key, and since we are sharing a google play account, we both have full versions now... and it is working flawlessly... hitting a server near chicago on speedtest, DL=13.86Mb, UL=2.36Mb... and since we are both grandfathered in on the unlimited data... I am surprised our phones havent burst into flame yet! 8.5Gb this month alone! :yeahbaby01: :D

chasnsparks

Reaction score
FoxFi and WiFi Tether for Root Users

If you are already rooted then why not used the WiFi tether for root users in the Play Store, has always been and still is free and works better IMO. Or you could do the SQL hack and just have buy SQLite for $1.99 save yourself 5 bucks if you don't want to use Wifi Tether.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...S5nb29nbGVjb2RlLmFuZHJvaWQud2lmaS50ZXRoZXIiXQ..

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...yLDEsImNvbS5zcGVlZHNvZnR3YXJlLnNxbGVkaXRvciJd

I tried using Wifi Tether for Root users, even went back a couple of releases and worked my way up... No Joy on a rooted Maxx, with any combination of emulations and setup configs... so I went back to FoxFi... Which kinda sucks because I was using Wifi Tether on my Rezound. But FoxFi works good, and $7 wont keep me from missing a meal...

s_cuttic

Reaction score
I had trouble getting wireless tether for root users working on my maxx when they finally got it working on ICS. To get it working, I set device profile to Razr Maxx CDMA/LTE and setup-method to Netd(master). I also enabled access control and checked the box that had the mac address for my laptop. Works great now.

chuckr01

Reaction score
Bluetooth tether

I have been pairing my Slider and now my Nexus 7 with my RAZR MAXX and previously my Droid 3 and Droid 4 with no problem so Foxfi was not a biggy for me. I have used it and it works great. If I needed it for my laptop it would be a needed option because my primitive laptop doesn't have Bluetooth so I don't know if that even works. I have the impression from what I have read elsewhere that this might only work with Motorola phones and have tried with other friend's phones without success. This method may be a viable workaround for using tablets if you don't want to pay for the Foxfi got you hooked upgrade.

sharkattack99

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+
I'm getting the Samsung galaxy note 2 so when it says now works with jelly bean I will be more than happy to pay the 7 bucks till then I will wait.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought foxfi was in beta before now and now is out so they are charging for it. I gave them my money to support their development.

OP
4saken

4saken

Reaction score
Sydman said:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.googlecode.android.wifi.tether&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5nb29nbGVjb2RlLmFuZHJvaWQud2lmaS50ZXRoZXIiXQ..

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speedsoftware.sqleditor&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5zcGVlZHNvZnR3YXJlLnNxbGVkaXRvciJd

I have got that hack also i use it from time to time i wanted to know what ppl thought about this .

Sent via razr maxx oc 1.35ghz running Ics. Antutu score= 6808
+ galaxy tab 10.1 running ICS a1kernel oc 1.4ghz.

OP
4saken

4saken

Reaction score
TheDroidURLookinFor said:
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought foxfi was in beta before now and now is out so they are charging for it. I gave them my money to support their development.

Not sure never seen anything to knowledge saying it was beta

Sent via razr maxx oc 1.35ghz running Ics. Antutu score= 6808
+ galaxy tab 10.1 running ICS a1kernel oc 1.4ghz.

philmanji

Reaction score
All I'm saying is when Sandy took my power down for a week, I was streaming Netflix, The Weather Channel, and local news channels on my laptop using FoxFi and it worked like a dream. I used almost 33g of data. Thank god for unlimited data. Everything was crystal clear. Definitely worth the $7. If they ever ask me to pay for it I will without hesitation.

turnpike

Reaction score
alot of reviews in the google play area say the new foxfi is unreliable... it's 1 star rating has gone up over 500 in the last 12 hours...and it's not compatible with jellybean.. check the phone and OS here..
FoxFi Devices

sharkattack99

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Works with my note 2

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Droid Forums