Fox fi has stooped its support for the older free versions and now forces update

jwilly216

Reaction score
Fox fi worked good for me all day until tonight I got this new message forcing me to update to the new version that had caps and fees

ForumRunner_20121203_011008.png

I hope this won't be another example of cool ass devs getting greedy

OP
jwilly216

jwilly216

Reaction score
I couldn't even watch a full episode of lost before told me I reached my limit and needed to buy the full version or restart the app. Bunch of sellouts I used to think the developers for this app where really bad*ss for going against the carriers but now they're lame

xtor

Reaction score
I've been using foxfi for years for free, I'm more then happy to pay a dev 6- to have the full version, making programs and writing code is no easy task(or everyone would do it) 6- for 2 year, plus many more is a great buy, i pay for mobile hotspot, but vzw's app sucks so i us foxfi, very user friendly and works perfect on razr, being cool doesn't pay the bills.

8th Infantry division

OP
jwilly216

jwilly216

Reaction score
Taking an app that people cherished as being free and a staple of reason android is so amazing and during down all support unless you'll comply by passing them is an awful thing to do.it's not about being cool. Besides , there were lots of other ways they could've went about this. This was a nasty greedy way. It's something Verizon would do

vatothe0

Reaction score
I couldn't even watch a full episode of lost before told me I reached my limit and needed to buy the full version or restart the app. Bunch of sellouts I used to think the developers for this app where really bad*ss for going against the carriers but now they're lame

Yeah, they should keep working for free! Jerks. Can't believe they want to get paid for their time.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let's keep this thread civil.
Personal attacks toward members, which hasn't happened so far, will result in this thread being closed and possible further action toward the attacker.
Thank you.

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From a Beano

Hysterics

Reaction score
Any alternatives?

First of all, to the guy saying we're complaining about people wanting to be paid for their work, that's pretty dumb. Personally, I don't mind spending 7$, I just don't like how this was implemented. One day I go to use it and I get a message saying I can't. What's to stop them from doing the same thing six months from now citing that they've had to do a lot of upgrades? Does this eventually turn in to a monthly update costing money? I'm not down for that. I'd pay money for this, but I know there are free alternatives, and I don't trust FoxFi anymore. I can't merit spending money on a product when it's use can be taken away at any given time.

Really disappointed with this. I know there are alternatives such as rooting your phone, but are there any alternatives for those of us who don't want to bother rooting?

If anything, FoxFi doing this will just get me to stop being lazy and root my phone finally.

vatothe0

Reaction score
First of all, to the guy saying we're complaining about people wanting to be paid for their work, that's pretty dumb. Personally, I don't mind spending 7$, I just don't like how this was implemented. One day I go to use it and I get a message saying I can't. What's to stop them from doing the same thing six months from now citing that they've had to do a lot of upgrades? Does this eventually turn in to a monthly update costing money? I'm not down for that. I'd pay money for this, but I know there are free alternatives, and I don't trust FoxFi anymore. I can't merit spending money on a product when it's use can be taken away at any given time.

Really disappointed with this. I know there are alternatives such as rooting your phone, but are there any alternatives for those of us who don't want to bother rooting?

If anything, FoxFi doing this will just get me to stop being lazy and root my phone finally.

So you're going from non-paying user to non-paying non-user. Surely you'll be missed.

The updated app still allows you to use it for free, there are just usage limits. For an app that has no ads, no pop ups, etc. you've been getting a pretty good deal.

What's to stop them from doing this again in 6 months? Nothing. You will however have saved $173 in that period so you might keep that in mind. If they charge $7/month? Still saving $23/month.

If people want to complain about getting ripped off, how about they actually get ripped off first?

kevsgroove

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
So you're going from non-paying user to non-paying non-user. Surely you'll be missed.

The updated app still allows you to use it for free, there are just usage limits. For an app that has no ads, no pop ups, etc. you've been getting a pretty good deal.

What's to stop them from doing this again in 6 months? Nothing. You will however have saved $173 in that period so you might keep that in mind. If they charge $7/month? Still saving $23/month.

If people want to complain about getting ripped off, how about they actually get ripped off first?

+1

You have to know that if Verizon could jump in and disallow any tethering without paying their $30 fee/month, they would. The nominal fee we pay to give back to developers for a service that simply works as billed, is a drop in the bucket to what you'd have to fork over to Big Red. Enjoying life my friends, simply isn't free.

OP
jwilly216

jwilly216

Reaction score
Hysterics said:

You are 100% correct. By the way, after Fox fi popped up the message saying it would no longer work, I rooted my s3 specifically for wireless tether. Guess what? Wireless tether apps are broken on rooted s3's running jelly bean. Fox fi wouldn't even work. So then I unrooted just to make sure I didn't screw up my radio or anything and I tried watching an episode of lost with Fox fi. I watched 5 minutes before my connection was interrupted and Fox fi popped up in my notification bar saying I reached the data cap and needed to restart the connection. ALL of this happened because of a stupid pop-up from Fox fi saying that it was no longer supported and I needed to upgrade and pay them. THAT'S GRIMY. So guess what, now I'm just using pda net and it works perfectly while charging my battery at the same time.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Big Red has disallowed and for a while blocked tether apps from the market. However the I think the FCC sued them because it was against the open source license for the block of frequencies that VZW uses for their 4G. That's why more tether apps seemed to pop up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

OP
jwilly216

jwilly216

Reaction score
macpro88 said:
Big Red has disallowed and for a while blocked tether apps from the market. However the I think the FCC sued them because it was against the open source license for the block of frequencies that VZW uses for their 4G. That's why more tether apps seemed to pop up.

Yes, you are correct in that the fcc made it illegal for Verizon to block the tethering apps.

But why aren't there other programs identical to Fox fi? Since it's all open source, why couldn't someone just recreate it but better?

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, you are correct in that the fcc made it illegal for Verizon to block the tethering apps.

But why aren't there other programs identical to Fox fi? Since it's all open source, why couldn't someone just recreate it but better?

That's a great question lol

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
For the longest time I could not figure out the WIIFM for FoxFi. It is an awesome app. It was free and no adds. I figured they must be stealing data or passwords from traffic or something. But I guess it was a massive beta test to get to a pay version. Good with me. It is still pennies on the dollar to paying VZW

Hysterics

Reaction score

First of all i dont use Verizon. My tethering/hotspot use was disabled when my phone updated to ICS last summer. I use a samsung galaxy note and my problem does not as far as i know stem from my carrier. I also know that there are alternatives, Im here asking what they are. I know i can root my phone, and that looks like the path ill be taking. Personally, spending any amount of money on something that was a free service to start with is a joke and Im not talking about foxfi. My phone had built in tethering and hotspot when i purchased it, it was one of the features i enjoyed most from my phone, so excuse me for trying to get the original functionality out of my phone without getting ripped off. There are free alternatives and as the fcc has sided with me.