Found the main source of my battery drain...

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
*Snap. Tells you right in the app.

Moto > Assist > Driving... "!Set Location Mode To High Accuracy!"
:(
So either I have a sucky battery or I get to drive safely. Seriously Moto???

There is a More Options > Advanced BT Devices > Improve Driving Detection
which was turned off on mine. Don't think that will bypass High Accuracy.

That's the setting I was talking about. It's been checked on my Maxx and wife's Moto X since August. All Moto apps are up to date, but Driving Mode still only triggers around the 20 MPH mark...at least for us. Sorry to high jack your thread and turn it into a Driving Mode thread! :)

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I think the assumption is your phone will be plugged in when you're driving so battery life isn't an issue.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I think the assumption is your phone will be plugged in when you're driving so battery life isn't an issue.
Agreed! If I'm using GPS in my vehicle, I'm plugged in. If I'm walking around, that's a different story but it's not on for 30 minutes.

You're in Cleveland, what do you use GPS for? Our City is tiny and very hard to get lost.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I don't use GPS around town. Hence, I don't often have it plugged in while driving. Just playing music on my grueling 15 minute commute.
I bought the phone with the biggest battery in planet Earth so I don't have to charge it twice a day, like my last one...

Turbo Tap'n

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I only charge every other day with the MAXX. You should be a lot higher, I'm rooted though with everything I don't use removed.

Spotify for 30min drive and another 1.5 hour when I'm at the gym.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I haven't made one full day since I switched the very setting we are talking about. Even on days when I don't play Ingress.
Can an NFC tag enable High Accuracy Geoloc?
Guessing not...

Turbo Tap'n

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Exactly.
I mean I am getting MUCH better battery then ever before. And the Turbo charger helps. Big time. I seriously use that once a day, most days. And Ingress is the battery eater of all battery eaters.
I know with NFC I can control the state of GPS but I don't think it has that granular setting that I'd need to go between Device Only and High Accuracy.
Still...maybe I keep GPS off all the time. ONLY use it when driving. Set an NFC tag in my dock. Eh...I've been wanting to play with tags anyway. ;)

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Well there you go Sajo: confirmed. Notice Driving Mode icon. Notice Device Only GPS setting.
30fbc610a898d192bcbe93b96077baf2.jpg

Turbo Tap'n

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Well there you go Sajo: confirmed. Notice Driving Mode icon. Notice Device Only GPS setting.
30fbc610a898d192bcbe93b96077baf2.jpg

Turbo Tap'n
Cool, thanks for sharing. I will try that tomorrow on the way to work and see what happens.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
It still says it needs High Accuracy in the app, but I can confirm for certain, driving mode works with Device Only. Switched to Battery Saver at a Stoplight to test. Stayed in Driving Mode.
And, yea, my BT Aux thingy works great for text and music. Not good with phone calls though.

Turbo Tap'n

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It still says it needs High Accuracy in the app, but I can confirm for certain, driving mode works with Device Only. Switched to Battery Saver at a Stoplight to test. Stayed in Driving Mode.
And, yea, my BT Aux thingy works great for text and music. Not good with phone calls though.

Turbo Tap'n
Cool. And agreed...great for music, not so great for calls. I use a Moto HX 550 and set it to phone audio and my BT aux jack set to media at the same time & works good for me. Audio through one and calls through the other. If only I would have paid the extra $800 for the BT stereo when I bought my Jeep in 2011! What was I thinking???

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Mine's an 06. The only thing I ever wanted was BT but that wasn't common in '06.
This is a great work around though.
Got a great deal on the car used in '10.
Wife got a '13 though, so I have it in that car when she let's me drive it. No extra charge for the package (Volvo).

Turbo Tap'n